Why become a member? ×

NBD

Skinnyman

I somehow missed this thread until now. I've been singing the praises of the Gretsch Junior Jets for a while now. They're absolutely superb! I've had the Sunburst one for 6 months or so and when I plug it in I'm still surprised how big and fat it sounds. Also great tone and superb built quality. They definitely punch well above their weight and price point these. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Teebs said:

Hiya Skinnyman - how are you getting on with the Gretsch Jet bass?

Having fun? :)

Loving it, thanks. Very much what NFF says. I'm trying hard to get the strings broken in and see what it sounds like then but the probability is that I'll put some flats on it.

I really like how easy it is to play and how light it is. I've been having trouble (as documented elsewhere) learning a couple of pieces and my thinking was that i could use a SS bass to get myself fully up to speed and then transfer to the "big" bass. The theory seems to be holding up in practice but the bass is turning out to be so much more than I'd expected. I always take a spare bass to gigs and this is perfect - I'd happily gig it as the main bass too.

So, all in all, very pleased. Thanks for doing the market research for me 😁

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

Ive just ordered some d’addario chrome flats for it. The stock strings are really bright and I think the bass has enough articulation to be able to handle flats without sounding muddy.

Anyone else using flats on one of these?

I have flats on my short scale Jazz, and they sound shoite.

I'm about to put some on my P bass to see if I can spoil that as well.

And what's all this about articulation? A bass shouldn't be articulated (unless its broke).

HTH. 👍

1 minute ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I have flats on my short scale Jazz, and they sound shoite.

I'm about to put some on my P bass to see if I can spoil that as well.

And what's all this about articulation? A bass shouldn't be articulated (unless its broke).

HTH. 👍

But you play a RickenTractor, so....😛

14 minutes ago, Teebs said:

He used to, then Fender endorsed him & now he uses a Jaguar bass.

I think he still uses the Gretsch live when he's doing the songs from the first album that he recorded with it. At least he was doing up until last year judging by the festival footage I saw. 

But yeah, sadly he's now sponsored up the wazoo by Captain Bland and the Fender brigade. 

• Like 1

On 10/02/2019 at 00:31, Skinnyman said:

Ive just ordered some d’addario chrome flats for it. The stock strings are really bright and I think the bass has enough articulation to be able to handle flats without sounding muddy.

Anyone else using flats on one of these?

Wow. D'Addario Chromes sound fantastic on the little Gretsch. I am so chuffed with this....

• Like 3