Why become a member? ×

Old Fenders - Why the $$$?

Quilly

It took me forever to find original pre cbs jazz basses,50s and early 60s precision’s were an easy find for me and have owned many,I have owned two 64 jazz custom shop relics(one the bridge was so rusted it did not work,had to buy a new one) and a  1960 jazz journeyman stacker.The 62,63 and 64 j basses I own give me immense pleasure and to me worth all the money I paid,and yes I use them most week ends at small gigs,no good under the bed ,I just enjoy them,and to me they are nicer than the custom shops I have owned,but I am sure others would think differently 

I don't even think it's a supply and demand thing so much as a perception of value thing. It's like an unknown work of art selling for a hundred grand, suddenly every other work of art by the same artist is worth a hundred grand, purely because of perception. Items create value based on what people think they're worth, and while ever more than one person perceives something to be of a certain value, it will actually drive the price up. I find it particularly daft where guitars and basses are concerned. Like all technology the manufacturing of guitars has improved massively over the past 50 years. I would even argue that you can probably buy a "better" (I know, better is subjective) instrument for £3-£400 than spending 4 grand on an old Fender. I must admit I've never been a Fender fan anyway. I find them extremely bland and unbelievably overpriced for what they are. I'd rather have something like an ibanez or Yamaha any day regardless of value, but that's just down to personal taste. Either way I'd certainly take a new bass over an old one. It's like buying a Betamax video rather than a modern home cinema system just because you enjoyed a certain film on Betamax 40 years ago. I just don't get it. 

Having said that, I totally get the "I've worked hard, I want it so I'm buying it attitude." So fair play if it's your thing and you want one, then why the hell not. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom

7 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Ha ha. I know exactly what she would say if I broached the subject i.e.‘just buy it’. 

Jeez Warren, why are you hanging around pal? 

• You’ve been after one with a February stamp for ages
  • Youre wife is awesome
  • It’s dot and bound
  • its got lollipops
  • its in great condition. 
  • You just sold that car...
  • I’ll call you the taxi myself for when you leave the abstinence club.

Give Andy my regards while you’re there 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, spongebob said:

I've played new and old gear.

Conclusion? New for me every time. Modern US Fenders get the hi-mass bridge, graphite rods....I'd plump for that, personally. Everyday reliability and easy to tweak at home or at gigs.

Both of the vintage basses I owned needed work (not Fenders BTW) - at least with new, you can make your own dents and dings, and the hardware and electrics are new and (hopefully) reliable!

I had a chat with Mark at Bass Direct a few years back about this very subject. He said 'well, you don't drive a 50 year old car, do you?'. I agreed! 😃

Well.... I have a mint original 1962 Ford Anglia that drives like new with only 34,000 genuine miles.

Sorry Iain :)

• Like 1

At the end of the day, as things get older and rarer they become collectible. It's no different from someone buying Detective Comics #1 for silly money, or a '60s Triumph. Obviously it's not for everyone, those that want them clearly want them enough to get their wallets out - especially when it's an object of good quality or craftsmanship!

31 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Don’t get me wrong, I’d like to go and have a look at it, but I know I’d be bringing it home with me if I did.

I went to weigh my Washburn Scavenger the other day (for comparative purposes in the sales section). I don’t use it much these days so it’s kind of at the back of the music room somewhere. I had to move ten Stingrays out of the way first, and that’s just the Stingrays! Do I need another J? No. Do I want it? Mmm.

Did you need 10 Rays? Did you want them? Did you regret them? 

(Answers: No - Yes - No). 

;) 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

This bass has my attention at the moment. I don't recall ever seeing another YOB Sunburst J for sale with a February neck stamp. Correct month for me see. 

Could be a nice birthday present, but it would definitely get me kicked out of the Gear Abstinence Challenge :whoopass:

Might as well go out in style.  My exit was a damp squib of a straight trade :)

• Haha 3

Yeah if you're going to blow up a low res avatar picture that's only a few pixels across then I'm afraid it's going to be blurred. 

That was my first starter bass I picked up on eBay for about a hundred quid several years ago, and I still think it's prettier than any bass Fender ever made, although to be fair it does sound pretty crap, which is why it's now more wall art than musical instrument. 

That's the great thing about bass shapes - it is all so very subjective.  One man's icon is another man's eyesore. 

Me, I like Precision bass shaped basses.  Or a nice double cutaway like a Washburn Scavenger or Hondo 1015.  Can't abide those single cut jobs that look like a cartoon whale with an overbite.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paul S said:

That's the great thing about bass shapes - it is all so very subjective.  One man's icon is another man's eyesore. 

Me, I like Precision bass shaped basses.  Or a nice double cutaway like a Washburn Scavenger or Hondo 1015.  Can't abide those single cut jobs that look like a cartoon whale with an overbite.

Yup. There's no accounting for taste. It would be a very beige world if everyone liked the same thing. I actually like quite a few single cut basses. Although others are a bit too elephant man. One person's ugly is another person's beauty. Thank God or I'd never have got someone to marry me. 😂

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Plank of wood with an ash tray nailed to it that makes people happy, and is almost guaranteed to appreciate in value.

I can totally understand the appeal.

Yep, if it works and all that.... Love all of mine!

On 06/02/2019 at 21:47, therealting said:

The diamond in my collection, my 64. Neck is to die for.

51DEBDCB-A822-4B6D-AF7D-55F9EC827BE7.thumb.jpeg.dcc1bd08ee35d517b0735e70f1694aa7.jpeg

It could be, if I find out where you live. A fight to the death :lol:

My decision to by an old Fender was informed very little by logic, reason or rational thinking! It was more an emotional decision based on the way the instrument makes me feel and play. If all musical decisions were rational and logical, I fear we might be culturally poorer for it.

Additionally, I don’t feel my old fender is ‘better’ than my Yamaha or CV squier, just different.

• Like 2