Why become a member? ×

Dee Murray. Elton John.

bubinga5

Listened to this earlier after a while of hearing it, apart from being such a fantastic record, the bass playing is so great. Fits the feel of Eltons song so well. Holds the groove perfectly and and plays such great passing notes between the roots, as well as the subtle 16th notes now and again. 

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 6

Dee was the reason I started to play bass.

That whole album is a joy to listen to for his bass lines alone.

EJ had 2 of my favourite bassists, with Kenny Pasarelli replacing Dee. So sad Dee’s no longer with us. 

Ooooh think I’ll be whipping out my 71-76 EJ albums just to listen to those 2 boys. 

• Like 2

Dee Murray was a great player. He really nailed the Philly Sound &  feel on Elton's 'Philadelphia Freedom'

Dee and Drummer Nigel Olsson were a terrific rhythm section for Elton. Such a shame he died so early (45).

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 2

Dee was fantastic.... part of a school of 70's bass players that I adore for their melody, groove, note choice and overall contribution to the sound of any songs they were involved in. Love him....

Give me some Dee Murray, Peter Cetera, Tiran Porter, John Deacon, David Paton, Rutger Gunnarsson, Martin Tiefensee, Joe Puerta, etc over most any other bassist/bass styles since...

• Like 1

This thread has made me dig out 17-11-70. Just a simple trio, beautifully mixed and recorded, absolutely full of energy. I love the sound of Dee Murray’s honky J bass on this, clear as a bell but still ballsy and never getting in EJ’s way. I don’t think EJ was ever better.

• Like 2