Why become a member? ×

A bit of praise for Amazon

thebrig

Unfortunately although this ( and previous) Governments have said they would take multi-nationals to task over tax they have not. Given the UK is home of huge tax avoidance with legions of dodgy companies registered here  laundering money through UK Banks, it is no wonder multi-nationals like Amazon don't take us seriously.

The same elite who are taking us out of the EU have loads of money invested offshore so they don't pay the tax. And no guesses where Arron Banks hides all his money........

Edited by yorks5stringer

I use Amazon a lot and my sister gives me a shopping list at Christmas for stuff she wants for her sons (she is not on-line!).  I have never had a problem with Amazon.  They have a huge choice of products at good prices (generally) and can often deliver within 24 hours - even without using Prime.  They also provide a shop window for individual retailers who use Amazon to sell their wares.

I ordered a cheap watch for when I am out and about; by cheap I mean £2. It came from Hong Kong and I suspect the postage cost more than the watch - the replacement battery certainly did!  It keeps better time than a Tag Huer I have. I also bought one of those small bendy camera tripods which should have come with a fitting to hold a smart 'phone.  Again it was only about £3 and was shipped from China.  It arrived without the smart 'phone fitting so I mentioned this on the Amazon feedback site.  I got a full refund, was told to keep the tripod and then they sent me the missing fitting - quids in!

I buy all my bass strings and accessories from Amazon as my local guitar shop (we only have one) has a limited choice.  I hate "shopping" and avoid the high street if at all possible.  I was thinking the other day about which high street shops (excluding where we do our weekly shop) I would miss if they closed.  I could not think of one.

Amazon plays by the tax rules as they are and it is up to the government of the day to sort that out.  As has already been mentioned, retail is a hard business and generally low paid.  We've all heard about the working conditions of Sports Direct and other "named" brands so I don't see why Amazon should be targeted for special treatment.  City centres suffered from the out of town sites that have sprung up over recent years.  We need to bring people back into town centres to live and stop this obsession with shopping.

It’s also easy to forget that far from accepting a tax regime and working within its boundaries, companies such as Amazon and the Pharmaceutical companies (such as the one I Sadly one worked for ) actively lobby to ensure that the tax regime remains beneficial to them and work very hard to ensure anyone who would change it to their detriment does not get into power. I can’t see many market traders on a Saturday pulling that off......

• Like 1