Why become a member? ×

A bit of praise for Amazon

thebrig

I know Amazon gets a lot of bad press but I would like to praise them for their excellent customer service.

Over the past few years I have purchased a variety of items from them and if I ever want to return something for whatever reason, I always find them most helpful and they usually either replace the item or offer a full refund.

This morning I removed the Seymor Duncan Quarter Pounder pickup from my precision bass which I purchased from Amazon last June 2018, I was going to replace it with a Fender CS 62 pickup which is more suitable for the genre I play, but in doing so, one of the wires detached itself from the pickup, before removing it, my original intention was to sell it on through our marketplace, but after discovering the detached wire, I thought that if I re-soldered the wire back, it might put people off buying it.

I then thought that it should still covered by the warranty, so I called Amazon to see how I go about returning it for a repair, I explained what had happened and straight away the person asked if I want a replacement or a full refund, obviously I went for a full refund seeing that I was going to sell it anyway.

When I look back at some of the problems I've had with some of the so called reputable music stores where they deny all responsibility, and usually say you should return the item to the manufacturer, it makes me think that I might be better off buying most of my musical items from Amazon in future.

• Like 2

Agreed, sometimes this stuff does happen.

Brands get a bad press, but it's not always the case.

I took my work MacBook into the store as the battery had been fried and the charger not working. I explained how important it was I had this working (as it was my working machine at the time) and was getting a little irate. The manager sauntered out from the backroom and explained that while my computer was out of warranty, they would replace the battery an the charger immediately as a gesture of goodwill because these components shouldn't fail. Saved me about £200 and earned a customer for life. Subsequently spent about £5,000 on work gear with the same guy.

• Like 1

Have to say, I've never had an issue with Amazon's customer services. 

Two items last week:

One didn't arrive on the day that delivery was promised, I send a slightly grumpy e-mail about having waited in (I hadn't, or rather I was going to be in anyway) and immediately get an apology and a £10 credit (as well as sorting out the delivery). 

Second, they picked the wrong item so instead of some cork sheets I get a Pinocchio DVD (!).  I didn't even have to send an e-mail, just clicked on "I got the wrong item" and they immediately re-ordered the correct item and told me to keep the wrong one (so, if anybody wants a Pinocchio DVD, let me know).  I assume it's a cost thing (that for something that's worth less than a fiver there's no point paying to get it returned...I doubt they've had said the same about a new TV)

I know others have had different issues, particularly through MarketPlace, but in both my cases there seemed to be a policy of not arguing with the customer where they are clearly not trying it on, knowing the consumer's rights and just sorting it out as quickly and easily as possible.  A vast difference from, say, Zavvi, who's Customer Service policy seems to be to say no at least once and see if you go away, and then to actually deal with the problem if you stick to your guns

...they've always been good when I've inquired about items. Once I purchased a book from them via the market place, first one was readable but damaged, got a second one sent and could keep the first. Second one was also readable but damaged, so was given a full refund and allowed to keep both. You really can't be unhappy with that level of service!!

17 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Spare a thought for the poor little so-n-so that eagerly opened his tenth birthday present of...

Cork sheets. :swoon:

:lol:

My dad once ordered a Dire Straits album from the Brittania music club (remember that?) and he was sent a Run DMC album. Wasn't happy!

Think of the B-boyer who had to spin Money for Nothing however...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I think amazon get bad press because they don't pay enough tax, I blame Governments for that, nobody pays more tax than they've got to,  but their business model and customer service is spot on in my experience, which is why they're so successful 

exactly - not having to argue with customer services, getting stuff delivered the next day,  or even the same day so you don't actually have to go out, and working from low margins so they're usually well priced, it's a brilliant business model.

Whether or not any of that might change if we do manage to close a few loopholes to prevent off-shoring the profits remains to be seen

Until they start paying there due tax bill I will not use them for anything. They have destroyed competition and high street retailers by avoiding paying taxes and screwing warehouse staff. Awfull company. I dont care how "legal" their tax avoidance is, its morally wrong and unfair to competition.

• Like 5

I ordered a replacement battery for my wife's iPhone. They sent the wrong one. Requested a refund, they'll refund the money when they get the battery back, plus £5 for the shipping. Which is fair enough except sending a lithium-ion battery back to them isn't easy. Royal Mail won't do it, most couriers won't either and Amazon won't allow batteries to be returned via their lockers. So I've had to use UPS, and it's costing £8...

3 hours ago, mikel said:

Until they start paying there due tax bill I will not use them for anything. They have destroyed competition and high street retailers by avoiding paying taxes and screwing warehouse staff. Awfull company. I dont care how "legal" their tax avoidance is, its morally wrong and unfair to competition.

Absolutely this - slave labour working conditions and creative tax dodgers that are massively responsible for the impending misery of empty High Streets. Thousands more retail staff unemployed over the next few years and claiming benefits that the tax system wont be able to support because of their nefarious tax practices. An appalling company with a total lack of social responsibility.

• Like 3

The same amazon customer service refused to refund on a piece of equipment bought for a charity for disabled kids I support. It was returned to the vendor with proof or delivery and they just ignored repeated requests to intervene and refund. The local trading standards told us they were too big to take on. We ended up £150 down, money that had been raised by the kids making stuff, doing bag packs and collecting pennies.

They are, and always will be scumbags imho, and that’s before the issues regarding tax/ workers rights etc etc etc.

6 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

I think amazon get bad press because they don't pay enough tax, I blame Governments for that, nobody pays more tax than they've got to,  but their business model and customer service is spot on in my experience, which is why they're so successful 

True, it’s the governments job to make sure they pay the correct tax by framing well thought out legislation. It’s not like amazon are going to move everything to Europe is it ?

On 05/02/2019 at 18:09, mikel said:

Can you honestly say that you voluntarily pay more tax than you have to because you think it’s morally right to pay more?

I seriously doubt you’d find a single basschat member who feels duty bound to pay more tax than they have to.

And as for destroying high streets, that blame lies on many doorsteps. 

Local council’s mis management of high streets, business rates and parking, old fashioned business models, shops with nothing to offer to make up for the extra prices and ultimately the choice of the consumers who choose where to spend their hard earned and minimum tax paid earnings.

Amazon don’t force people to buy from them, they simply offer a better product and consumers vote with their debit cards.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, ribbetingfrog said:

Can you honestly say that you voluntarily pay more tax than you have to because you think it’s morally right to pay more?

I seriously doubt you’d find a single basschat member who feels duty bound to pay more tax than they have to.

And as for destroying high streets, that blame lies on many doorsteps. 

Local council’s mis management of high streets, business rates and parking, old fashioned business models, shops with nothing to offer to make up for the extra prices and ultimately the choice of the consumers who choose where to spend their hard earned and minimum tax paid earnings.

Amazon don’t force people to buy from them, they simply offer a better product and consumers vote with their debit cards.

I cant avoid paying my taxes, its paye and vat mainly. Amazon make billions and still skulk behind tax evasion. M n S paid more tax last year than Amazon paid in the last 10. Its unfair competition and the consumer chose it cos its cheap. Its cheap because we subsidise its lack of tax by paying the poor staff top up benefits to make up meagre wages. Say what you like, I vote with my debit card and its not going to those shysters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One of the reasons Amazon can afford to have such good customer service is probably because they pay so little tax.

It’s a heck of an advantage to have over the little  brick-and-mortar shop on the high street who has to wrestle with a tiny margin.

In the meantime, Amazon continues to hoover up the market share (including me, it has to be said).

10 hours ago, mikel said:

I cant avoid paying my taxes, its paye and vat mainly. Amazon make billions and still skulk behind tax evasion. M n S paid more tax last year than Amazon paid in the last 10. Its unfair competition and the consumer chose it cos its cheap. Its cheap because we subsidise its lack of tax by paying the poor staff top up benefits to make up meagre wages. Say what you like, I vote with my debit card and its not going to those shysters.

I'm sure M & S don't pay more tax then they have too, it's their business model that forces them. I say again it's the Tax  rules that are the problem not the companies.

I think most internet business get a bad rep for looking after staff, let's be honest it's hardly rocket science selecting and packing items, they don't seem to have problems getting people to work for them, and most retail jobs are poorly paid not just Warehouse staff, now if you're saying we should stop subsidising wages with benefits I'm all for it, but it would affect most retail business

In a few years all the selection and packing with done by robot anyway, may be a harsh thing to say but increasing the wages will only accelerate the process.

It's tough in the retail world and if you're not competitive you die like a lot of the High St is doing.

Personally I hate shopping and most of my purchases are done online  

I always fou d their customer service to be exemplary... 

Until I cancelled my prime subscription.  Then returning anything, whether purchased as a prime customer or not became a proper pain in the rectum. 

I cancelled due to the reasons stated above about tax avoidance, competition, destroying high Street etc. And now only use them as a last resort. 

Edited by gs_triumph

Its a tough one

Of course we want stuff for next to nothing and hassle free in hours not weeks but there's a cost somewhere

i ordered something Sunday and got it 11am monday ! I didn't need it that quick .How is there any money in that ?Its using its size to control competition and the workforce etc .I use them as the best one stop shop out there but happy to pay the right price and wait a reaonable time

Edited by jazzmanb

As others have said you're not going to find any global company who volunteers to pay more tax in a given country than that country's tax laws stipulate that they must.

The Amazon tax avoidance thing has been going on for over a decade now.

Same with Facebook, Google and the rest.

The UK government has had years to close the loopholes, the fact they haven't done so strongly suggests that, despite what various politicians say in public, the reality is that they are perfectly happy with those tax arrangements, or lack of, carrying on as they are.

Edited by Cato

4 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

I'm sure M & S don't pay more tax then they have too, it's their business model that forces them. I say again it's the Tax  rules that are the problem not the companies.

I think most internet business get a bad rep for looking after staff, let's be honest it's hardly rocket science selecting and packing items, they don't seem to have problems getting people to work for them, and most retail jobs are poorly paid not just Warehouse staff, now if you're saying we should stop subsidising wages with benefits I'm all for it, but it would affect most retail business

In a few years all the selection and packing with done by robot anyway, may be a harsh thing to say but increasing the wages will only accelerate the process.

It's tough in the retail world and if you're not competitive you die like a lot of the High St is doing.

Personally I hate shopping and most of my purchases are done online  

I am not arguing about who's fault the tax loopholes are, we all know and we know why they dont close them, as they could, tomorrow. My point being that the poorer you are the less chance you have to pay less, whereas billion pound businesses, who can easily afford to pay their due, choose not too. Most retailers dont use zero hours contracts, as Amazon do so you are wrong there. And you expect me to back them? Get real.

Edited by mikel
Adition