Why become a member? ×

Which bass cab and amp do I need for a small studio?

EgorI

if this were my problem then top of my list would be the Ampeg PF20t, i had a chance to record a single track through one at my tutors studio (@dodge_bass) just to allow for critical listening and to see how close i was to the original bass, it was fed straight into a scarlett interface and then into reaper with no plug-ins or tweaking (that i can remember) and it sounded fantastic.

the PF20t will run happily without a speaker load and has separate Preamp out and speaker simulated XLR outputs on the back, if you wanted to get a mic-ed up speaker sound then it will drive a small cab as well. 

Matt

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matt P said:

if this were my problem then top of my list would be the Ampeg PF20t, i had a chance to record a single track through one at my tutors studio (@dodge_bass) just to allow for critical listening and to see how close i was to the original bass, it was fed straight into a scarlett interface and then into reaper with no plug-ins or tweaking (that i can remember) and it sounded fantastic.

the PF20t will run happily without a speaker load and has separate Preamp out and speaker simulated XLR outputs on the back, if you wanted to get a mic-ed up speaker sound then it will drive a small cab as well. 

Matt

As most have said on this thread you really don’t need to (unless you have a specific musical / personal reason) mic a cab. Much better to use a DI box that you know and love (e.g Sansamp or similar) or buy as Matt  mentioned a valve preamp or head that doesn’t need a speaker load (e.g. Pft20). It’s here where it comes down to personal taste....a valve head / DI will give you a certain sound (fairly retro and warm), more modern DI’s perhaps cleaner and drier. Depends what you are recording / the sound you are aiming for. I record a range of styles so I use the valve head for dirtier warmer recordings and a different DI for cleaner more modern recordings.

I should note at this point that I do a fair bit of recording at distance for various producers using only a DI and I’ve never had anyone complain / moan. I use a mic on my upright bass but never on electric. Even in pro studios in tends to be DI only (again have done a fair bit of this).

Hope that helps.

Ian 

• Like 1