Why become a member? ×

Random question from the past re Boss GT10B

uk_lefty

A cry for help here...

I've got a Boss GT10B. It's awesome.

All is going well except when I usb it to my laptop the laptop doesn't read it so I can't use the Boss software to backup and edit patches. I've followed changing the settings in the manual and I've installed the pc drivers even though I shouldn't need to windows 10. Nothing.

Any help or advice welcome!

Thanks

8 hours ago, NoirBass said:

What software are you trying to use?

The Boss librarian software specific to the GT10 and GT10B plus some freeware developed by a chap on Talkbass. I don't think it's a software issue though as it could be the OS (Windows 10) or something else about the pc not reading the external device. The cable works because when I plug in Windows plays it's little jingle to let you know a USB device is connected but in the "my computer" window or the file explorer there is no icon to show that an external device is connected. I'm pretty stumped. I've been through the Boss manual and changed the usb setting to "advanced" as required, for Windows 10 I technically shouldn't need to manually find and download the drivers but I have anyway and still nothing. 

I'm just not sure where to go from here.

There's some GT10B experts on Talkbass so I've asked there but yet to receive a reply. My work laptop won't read external USB for security purposes so can't try it with another laptop unfortunately. 

What I really want to do is create a backup of my patches in case I lose them; re-order and rename my patches for ease of use at  a gig; use the freeware to experiment more easily with creating new patches; test and download other users patches that I may like.

If I can't do all that it's not the end of the world, I do like a clean bass sound more than anything anyway, but to have the option of flange, different drives, wah and touch wah for those middle 8s of songs that don't always get played but when they do they really need it... That's what I got the unit for. For example, I used to use an 80's Boss Flanger for the breakdown in Magic Carpet Ride. I'd like to create a Magic Carpet Ride patch. I can do it without the PC but it's a bit laborious.

If you’re sure the cable is working (ie. You’ve tried running other hardware through it that worked) I would uninstall your drivers and start again. Make sure the GT-10b isn’t connected when you reinstall.

Forget the Boss software and use GT-10BFxFloorboard. It had all the Boss features plus all the editing features you’ll ever need.

I’m running GT-10BFxFloorboard on an IMac and it was a sinch to setup. I can’t imagine it’s that much more involved on a PC?

3 minutes ago, NoirBass said:

If you’re sure the cable is working (ie. You’ve tried running other hardware through it that worked) I would uninstall your drivers and start again. Make sure the GT-10b isn’t connected when you reinstall.

Forget the Boss software and use GT-10BFxFloorboard. It had all the Boss features plus all the editing features you’ll ever need.

I’m running GT-10BFxFloorboard on an IMac and it was a sinch to setup. I can’t imagine it’s that much more involved on a PC?

Thanks mate I'll give that a go. The cable came from my guitarist who does the IT end of office and data centre moves so it is second hand, has been well used and then stored by him for a very long time. I'm sure I have a similar cable for my camera or printer somewhere too.

The software you mention is that the freeware one put together by the chap off Talkbass? It shows you a graphic of the pedals to drag and drop around d the screen... Looks pretty good and ideal for someone like me who works better with visuals.

1 hour ago, NoirBass said:

Y, the software is Gumtown from Talkbass and VGuitar forums editor. It’s the software that Roland/Boss should have developed and didn’t.

https://fxfloorboard.sourceforge.io/info.php?model=gt-10b

That's the one. Looks amazing and I want to use it... Will try faffing about with the drivers again when I get chance.

9 hours ago, owen said:

I saw a guy gig with one of these. I was convinced he was playing a fretless. Then he stepped on it and he was playing a fretted Jazz. I would have one just for that patch if I knew I could replicate it. 

I think there’s even a ‘Pino’ patch if I remember correctly?

There's four whole pages of patches... Not included in the 158 page manual.

Some really good useable sensible bass tones. There's a fretless patch that is ace for fretless bass, called 80's British Pop or something! There's a 24 Level patch that's good for slap tones... Loads. The Ampeg simulation is good for rock tone. Then there's a load of weird sh!t nobody should ever need to hear, but that's standard with multi FX!

As if by magic the PC read the device today without me having to reinstall the drivers. However! I'm yet to be able to get the software to do anything with the device but didn't really have time to try. Baby steps! But I know that the pedal and the pc do now connect.