Why become a member? ×

What’s the problem here?

Tubster

Have Aguilar th500 paired with 2x Bergantino CN112 speakers. Use a Lull Pj with Fralins or a Fender Jazz Roadworn. Can’t seem to get any oomph out of the setup. Tried extensive knob twiddling and stacking vertically and horizontally. All sounds a bit hollow to me with lots of middle but no bottom end. What I’ve had in the past that I liked: Eden 800, Markbass LM2, Sunn 300T. cabs: Eden 410 xlt, bag end 15”, Berg Ceramic 1x12s

So decision time 

1. change the cabs

2.  change the amp

3. Do something different

4.  Chuck it all and start again

Love the lightness and form factor of all of it.

Your suggestions on: strategies, settings,  replacement gear et al. much appreciated. Thanks

21 minutes ago, Tubster said:

Have Aguilar th500 paired with 2x Bergantino CN112 speakers. Use a Lull Pj with Fralins or a Fender Jazz Roadworn. Can’t seem to get any oomph out of the setup. Tried extensive knob twiddling and stacking vertically and horizontally. All sounds a bit hollow to me with lots of middle but no bottom end.

Are the speakers out of phase?  How does it sound with just one of them connected?

My rig used to be a Lull PJ5 into a TH500 through 2 Berg AE112's which were replaced by a Berg CN212. IMO two of the most excellent sounding rigs I've owned.

Are you using any pedals? Apart from the phase thing, I have no idea why you aren't best sounding bass player in your town!

I had a TH500 for a bit , for me it was all snarling mids and really lacked proper oomph down low and any sparkle at the top, I moved it on pretty quickly,

I wondered if it was the cabs I was using but I've since used a TH500 a few times when they.ve been house amps or festival backline and I felt the same, I'd try a different amp mate, last time I was in bassdirect I tried most of the class Ds and for me the Genzler and Mesa Subways were the best, I thought genzler was really versatile and the mesa had an openess and clarity to the tone . I've since got a subway D800 and now I'm really tempted by the WD800

I liked the berg CN but the ceramic bergs are for me the best cabs ever( why did I sell them???) and as good as neo cabs have got they don't quite match up, but like you say weight plays it part 

I'd go for option 2 change the amp 

I'd be looking at the amp. 

I've heard other people using them & they've sounded great so I know they're decent amps but every time I've had to use one I've never been able to get a sound out of it I liked, even using my own cabs.  I assume this is because there's something clever going on with the EQ that isn't immediately obvious; as you own it I'd either spend a load of time reading up on what the EQ is really doing & so try to get it to sound nice, or just sell it & get something a bit more straight forward.

I used to gig with a LM3 and two Bergantino AE112s and whilst I was happy with the overall sound when I dragged my HT112ER and EX112ER from under the stairs just to check which I wanted to keep the ceramics won out easily. They had a much greater depth to their tone than the AEs. Some might call it he........ There, I stopped myself.

I briefly owned a TH500 and felt exactly the same way... I loved the form factor and weight, I liked the sound (and it has ample volume) but I just couldn’t get the right sort of energy from it.

I gather that the DB line of cabs have a pronounced mid-bump so perhaps the amp was designed to go with them - although I suppose that kind of defeats the portability aspect...

Anyway, I know some excellent players who love this amp, so IME, IMO, etc.

Edit:

Another thread reminded me, the DI out on the TH500 is really nice. I recorded some great sounds with it. Might make a difference, or it might not.

Edited by Danuman