Why become a member? ×

Fender MIM player P Bass

Quilly

I have an Am Std P and an MIM P from 2013, both are great players. The Am Std definitely has a better finish, a rolled fingerboard and string thru high mass bridge.

But gig wise, I use both without worrying about which is nicer, they both play well.

Then again, I'm no snob, I've gigged all my basses this year, my MIM P and J, my MIA P, my SX J and Hofner BB, and my ABG before I sold it

Played one of these, in buttercream finish today, at PMT in Cardiff. It's a lovely looking bass. The colour is just beautiful, and works well with the maple board.

It played nicely, and sounded great. Neck was just a tad chunkier than my ideal, but I was very taken with the build quality. I was offered it at around £50 off the RRP, and if I hadn't just got another P bass, I may have been tempted. Alongside the bass was a US std precision at twice the price - but it wasn't anywhere like twice the bass. PMT also had a player series Jazz in buttercream - it looked lovely too - but I dare not pick it up ;)

Well I received my latest Player Precision today. And it’s got to go back. There’s a slight bulge between frets 0 - 5 on the G string side. Blasted Fender quality control.

I might not have noticed it had it not been that I already have one of these basses, the neck on the new one just felt more of a handful so I carefully examined/measured it - all seemed the same, so what was happening? I then found the bulge after closer examination. It makes the neck feel much chunkier so no way would I keep it, especially as my reasons for buying these basses is for a slimmer neck due to hand/wrist pain. Luckily I’ve kept the packaging etc.

Bah!!

8 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Well I received my latest Player Precision today. And it’s got to go back. There’s a slight bulge between frets 0 - 5 on the G string side. Blasted Fender quality control.

I might not have noticed it had it not been that I already have one of these basses, the neck on the new one just felt more of a handful so I carefully examined/measured it - all seemed the same, so what was happening? I then found the bulge after closer examination. It makes the neck feel much chunkier so no way would I keep it, especially as my reasons for buying these basses is for a slimmer neck due to hand/wrist pain. Luckily I’ve kept the packaging etc.

Bah!!

Well spotted though Lozz, hopefully the next one will be just right.

I've just sold my LImelight as it was too heavy for me for long gigs , took the plunge on one of these in black maple , spent last night playing it , really is excellent quality for the price point . Also good weight which is what is really important to me. 

Need to change the strings to flats and get it set up , I've got a black white black pickguard on the way 

I bought this as a back up to my marusczyk but I can honestly see it getting an awful lot of gig time.