Why become a member? ×

Fender MIM player P Bass

Quilly

I bought a MIM P a few years back (maybe 6!), and I was pretty happy with the build quality. However, I found the pickup to be pretty harsh sounding and also much louder than my other basses at the time. A Tonerider was much smoother, warmer sound.

Enough rambling.... what do the new ones sound like? Can anyone compare to any other Precisions? I don’t see a huge amount of difference in spec between those and the US made Performers,  but a fair jump in price! 

1 hour ago, geoham said:

I bought a MIM P a few years back (maybe 6!), and I was pretty happy with the build quality. However, I found the pickup to be pretty harsh sounding and also much louder than my other basses at the time. A Tonerider was much smoother, warmer sound.

Enough rambling.... what do the new ones sound like? Can anyone compare to any other Precisions? I don’t see a huge amount of difference in spec between those and the US made Performers,  but a fair jump in price! 

Well I was only able to try it out in the store but it sounded p bassey to me 😂. No seriously, it seemed to have lots of warm thump , pickups very hot in the midrange and low end. Not as bright or as ‘Kim Deal’ as my sandberg California (in passive mode) but that just could be the amp set up, cabinet , strings etc. Neck didn’t seem as chunky as other p basses I’ve played, really really comfortable  . The finger board had a nice glosssy finish while the back of the neck had a really smooth satin finish . Tuning heads and hardware etc all seemed solid .

9 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

I bought mine from a well known auction site, second hand, a couple of months old.

The first owner had put in 1962 CS pickups: I asked him why, he  said he thought the OEM ones sounded too modern!

That may have been the problem with mine too! 

I keep on looking at these. I`m more than happy with my US Fenders but have noticed my fretting hand/wrist aching a bit recently and wondering if the slimmer neck profile on these Players may help with that. Plus that Buttercream colour, well...………….

• 3 months later...
On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 12:14, Lozz196 said:

I keep on looking at these. I`m more than happy with my US Fenders but have noticed my fretting hand/wrist aching a bit recently and wondering if the slimmer neck profile on these Players may help with that. Plus that Buttercream colour, well...………….

OK, so I`m weak and have no restraint - but, I do have a nice Fender Player Precision in buttercream/maple, which I`d far rather have.

First impressions are it`s very good quality, not got my regular strings on it yet so can`t comment too much on sound but it does seem less harsh/in your face than previous MIM Precisions that I`ve had. Good tight neck pocket, no sharp edges on the frets. The scratchplate will be changed for a black one, and as this is going to be my air-travel bass I`ll swap the nut for a Graphtec one to aid better tuning but other than that will probably leave everything else as stock, maybe swap the bridge baseplate with a grooved one, but only cos I already have said item. 

As per my post above the slimmer neck profile is a fair bit easier to play, which is good cos again my left wrist has been aching a bit recently, maybe overdone it at the gym and strained something, so having a bass that`s easier to play in the arsenal is always a bonus.

Plus that buttercream, well...………………...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So update time, regular strings fitted, and had the Graphtec Nut fitted, plus an upgrade of pots/Jack/cap - thanks to our very own @gary mac for that. Should add I get Gary to do all the work in my basses now, not only is he a gent and his work great but there’s a Pie & Mash Shop just down the road😃

Also added a Hipshot 3-way string  tree to save the sometimes pesky A string rattle. First outing for this bass tomorrow night, will be the first time I’ll have used it with the band but sometimes you just have a sense of confidence in an instrument and I have that with this one.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

So update time, regular strings fitted, and had the Graphtec Nut fitted, plus an upgrade of pots/Jack/cap - thanks to our very own @gary mac for that. Should add I get Gary to do all the work in my basses now, not only is he a gent and his work great but there’s a Pie & Mash Shop just down the road😃

Also added a Hipshot 3-way string  tree to save the sometimes pesky A string rattle. First outing for this bass tomorrow night, will be the first time I’ll have used it with the band but sometimes you just have a sense of confidence in an instrument and I have that with this one.

Thanks for the work Lozz, hope the gig goes well. :friends:

Update to the update:

Used the Player at the gig and it went fantastic. In the past when I’ve used basses other than my US Standards although they’ve been ok I’ve not felt entirely comfortable. Tonight I did. That for me says it all, and am very happy with this result. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bassix said:

So another one on order then eh?! 😉

It will be Liam,  just did a video shoot where I used one of my US ones and my left hand/wrist is aching/painful again. So the brain-of-Lozz is gonna take charge of this one, and push the heart to the side, MIM Players it be!

• Like 1

Thanks for your thoughts on these great looking basses folks. Great to hear of your thoughts after gigging with one @Lozz196
As others have said - if these have improved the standards of P & J basses, it becomes harder to justify spending the extra cash on a USA model
That said, I've felt the same way about my MIM Roadworn basses too. These however, are even more reasonably priced

I have to say, I like the look of that buttercream colour one especially @yorks5stringer Nice :)
EDIT: I meant to add - it looks even better with the replacement scratchplate on.....

Edited by Marc S

14 minutes ago, Marc S said:

@yorks5stringer - do you know the weight of this bass? I can't find it online anywhere. Doesn't seem to be on Fender's website, sadly....
I'd really like to know (though, as ever, I really shouldn't be tempted into buying any more basses! lol)

I don't know the weight of Lozz's one that I worked on but I do remember thinking that it was a nice light one and that it would suit me for gigging, I would guess at around 9lbs.

• Thanks 1