Why become a member? ×

The Searchers - best ever covers band?

Grahambythesea

As the Searchers embark on their farewell tour before hanging up the guitars for good after 50plus years of playing, recording and touring, I pose the question. All of their hits as far as I remember were covers which they made their own and on tours they’ll even do tributes to other bands they admired. So if not the best covers band perhaps the most successful?  

Having seen them live quite a few times I would say that they are a very enjoyable band to watch and they have been one of the hardest working ever, more gigs per year than just about anyone else.

hope they have a great and long retirement they’ve earned it.

29 minutes ago, Hobbayne said:

Isnt there two Searchers doing the rounds? I remember reading there was a disagreement over the name, so it got a bit silly.

Think it was ‘The Searchers’ ( with John McNally) and the other was ‘Mike Pender’s Searchers’. Think both still doing gigs but The Searchers are retiring sometime this year after some farewell dates.

34 minutes ago, bumnote said:

Wilki says Needles and Pins" is a rock song credited to American writers Jack Nitzsche and Sonny Bono. Jackie DeShannon recorded it in 1963 and other versions followed,

I think he might have been joshing, Nigel... 

It does give me the chance, though, to mention that Sonny Bono has a  statue in Palm Springs,  where he was latterly mayor. Needles and Springs? 😄

2 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

I think he might have been joshing, Nigel... 

It does give me the chance, though, to mention that Sonny Bono has a  statue in Palm Springs,  where he was latterly mayor. Needles and Springs? 😄

Not Joshing, The song was stolen apparently. Got to take it with a little pinch of salt but he showed me the original manuscript and recording. Cant remember where he was playing when he said that he was asked about it. Any hoo to this day whenever its mentioned my stock line is......"written by Dave in HerneBay"  😂

Went to see John McNally's Searchers a couple of years ago, and TBH was a bit disappointed, JM particularly dare I say a bit 'past it'.  So I think they’ve made the right decision.

Also saw Mike Pender last year, on a bill with New Amen Corner (now there’s a great covers band!!) still very enthusiastic, but like all of us, showing his age......

But when I think about having seen them live in the 60s, there’s no wonder!

6 minutes ago, Baxlin said:

Went to see John McNally's Searchers a couple of years ago, and TBH was a bit disappointed, JM particularly dare I say a bit 'past it'.  So I think they’ve made the right decision.

Also saw Mike Pender last year, on a bill with New Amen Corner (now there’s a great covers band!!) still very enthusiastic, but like all of us, showing his age......

But when I think about having seen them live in the 60s, there’s no wonder!

I worked with Mike Pender's band in the late 80's and they were excellent, and great blokes too.  Shame age catches up with us all eh?

Hip US label Sire had signed The Searchers in the late 70's, and they made a couple of albums for them which were well received IIRC. 

• Like 1