Why become a member? ×

Ibanez BTB vs Ibanez SDGR - what’s the difference in brand philosophy here?

haysy

They're Indonesian Corts made to varying specs, as said above the SDGR has a slightly different scale length with really tight spacing whereas the BTB has wider spacing. If you compare them to other Corts they'll usually have the same hardware and electrics so you aren't just limited to those models either.

Edited by lemmywinks

I don't see how there is an overlap? There is the SR range and the BTB range (and the other ranges). As an SR player, the BTB range is no use to me (necks to wide / long). They look nice but I couldn't play one.

Or do you mean the overlap like fender with the J and P basses? Or the Strat and Telecaster? 

My 2014 BTB1406 Premium has Nordstrands. A very wide (and shallow) neck, and fairly wide string spacing even at the nut, with a lot of taper outward to the bridge. I find it very playable, but I have big hands and long fingers, it wouldn't suit everyone. It's a thing of pure beauty. I don't know how they make a neck that shallow that takes the strain of six strings, but that's what makes it playable - any deeper and it would be a tree trunk. algw-7089.thumb.jpg.2779adb4d37716d5d5f96ddefb07e6de.jpg

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, josie said:

My 2014 BTB1406 Premium has Nordstrands. A very wide (and shallow) neck, and fairly wide string spacing even at the nut, with a lot of taper outward to the bridge. I find it very playable, but I have big hands and long fingers, it wouldn't suit everyone. It's a thing of pure beauty. I don't know how they make a neck that shallow that takes the strain of six strings, but that's what makes it playable - any deeper and it would be a tree trunk. algw-7089.thumb.jpg.2779adb4d37716d5d5f96ddefb07e6de.jpg

I tried a top end SR and loved the Norstrands.

I’ve had a couple of BTB 4 strings and I agree, great quality basses. I was a little disappointed the last time I looked (possibly a couple of years back now) that the top end 4 String BTB wasn’t available with the Norstrand pickup as on the top end SR 4 strings. 😟

9 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I don't see how there is an overlap? There is the SR range and the BTB range (and the other ranges). As an SR player, the BTB range is no use to me (necks to wide / long). They look nice but I couldn't play one.

Or do you mean the overlap like fender with the J and P basses? Or the Strat and Telecaster? 

I didn’t know about the difference in dimensions at the time, so thought that the woods, hardware and electronics were similar, hence the overlapping viewpoint esp on premium models. The Ibanez name seems to be more prominent on the BTB headstocks down the years whereas it appears more subtle on the SDGR ones.

8 hours ago, haysy said:

I didn’t know about the difference in dimensions at the time, so thought that the woods, hardware and electronics were similar, hence the overlapping viewpoint esp on premium models.

Even if they were, wouldn't that be the same as any other manufacturer having different models? Like I said, the fender J and P, not really that much difference. 

• 1 month later...

Probably the main difference on SDGR and BTB is the body shape and the neck profile, electronics are more or less similar, especially for preamps, pickups now are different even between premium and standard lines.

Anyway the huge difference is the strings spacing but only on 5 strings with some exceptions, six strings and btb 33" use the tight 17mm string spacing. Premium and Standard btb 5, the regular 19 mm.

it seems that Ibanez is going to use the wide strings spacing often on further models. Adam Nitti signature basses have the 18mm strings spacing and I believe that Thundercat 6 strings has the 19mm too.

The pickups on BTB usually were Nordstrand on premium models but, now they switched to Aguilars. Bartlolini is still on the standard models.

On my YouTube there are several videos where you can hear the same BTB with the factory preamp but different pickups, Nordstrand and EMG.

If you need more help just let me know :-)

Ciao. Enrico

The brand philosophy has changed for the Soundgear, as Ibanez started that line to make thin, lightweight and ergonomic instruments, which when these things premiered, was probably quite impressive. 

The BTB series on the other hand was l, as the name suggests, designed to incorporate features from boutique basses and had 35" scales, flamed maple tops, wide necks and skin spacing and the monorail bridges. They had lost the wide bodies and that distinctive long top horn which was good for balance. Whether or not these are really boutique bass features or not is debatable but it did allow Ibanez to launch a new line of basses that was different to anything else they were doing at the time. It must have been a success because the BTB must be only a few years off it's 20th birthday. 

Thanks for your views. I’m thinking of changing my 5er bass as the neck is quite wide so I did get down to bass direct for a good tryout of a few models and then left thinking about what I can and can’t afford as there are some beauties there! Saving my pennies up to go back!