Why become a member? ×

Ramp??

stewblack

3 minutes ago, Mikkoantt said:

Here is my ramp basses. First one is Mayones jabba Classic 4, then comes Elrick platinum hybrid classic 5, then comes Fodera AJ 5 Elite and last one is Ibanez Gary Willis fretless. Ramp really helps my playing, because I have soooo soft touch novadays. 

Beautiful basses , I’m fitting a ramp to one of my jazzes, did you find it improved your playability 🙂

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve decided to make a ramp for one of my jazzes, I’ve noticed that they seem to sit Roundabout  the pickup height,     could anybody advise on the ideal distance between the string and the top of the ramp  thanks 🙂

Completely down to personal preference and playing position. If you play kind of over the pickup you will want it the same height, otherwise I'd say as close as you can get to the strings without it clipping.

1 minute ago, ped said:

Completely down to personal preference and playing position. If you play kind of over the pickup you will want it the same height, otherwise I'd say as close as you can get to the strings without it clipping.

Many thanks ped , I might go quite high then I could take it down if I need to couldn’t I . 

54 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Many thanks ped , I might go quite high then I could take it down if I need to couldn’t I . 

Yes exactly!

53 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Should I be feeling it under my fingers?

Yes I like to feel like the strings are painted on!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

I always think they look best if they "echo" the appearance and curvature of the fretboard, as though it's meant to be there (The Ibanez GWBs exemplify this, and so do the Zon Manring Hyperbass, but for a different reason! )

Thanks Lf 👍. , I’ve already shaped the top to the curve of the fretboard  to keep an even distance from the strings, but I haven’t reduced it to the height yet 

32 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

I always think they look best if they "echo" the appearance and curvature of the fretboard, as though it's meant to be there (The Ibanez GWBs exemplify this, and so do the Zon Manring Hyperbass, but for a different reason! )

But that can leave you with too little space beneath your wings.  After all, if you don't play over the fingerboard you're used to the flat pickups being ground zero and the sticky up humped ramp feels odd.  I had a 'fingerboard hump' on my ramp and then took the hump off, sanded it down to flush with the pups.  Felt much better because I couldn't feel it.

• 4 months later...

I finally got around to fitting a ramp to my old fender jazz and I’m quite liking it , i haven’t noticed any drastic change in my playing yet ,   and raking feels different , but it’s early days, and it makes a good thumb rest 🙂

67E64443-C261-4F37-B3AB-24821A7E3412.jpeg

• Like 1

On 08/02/2019 at 12:58, chris_b said:

I just think of all the brilliant players who somehow got by without ramps and stuff!

Then there’s the marvellous players who have them, Matt Garrison and Gary Willis for example. I know what you mean though, it’s personal preference. My favourite normal bassist is Anthony Jackson, his Fodera has just the one pickup and no ramp. If you watch him play he’s using the whole of the playing area on the bass.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Does anyone make good ones for any bass?

I like them a lot but I haven’t got one for my Sandberg.

I don't know if you could do a "one size fits all" ramp since basses vary so much, my first thought would be DIY or go to your local luthier and see what he can do.