Why become a member? ×

Ramp??

stewblack

Friend just bought himself a bass. Rather nice Squier Precision 5er, and for a bargain too. It had something called a ramp fitted between the pick ups. Lawd knows what or why this chunk of ebony had been shoehorned in there but I bet someone here can tell me.

image.png.8326ae708531c862376a8ddf7752228c.png

Some people prefer the feel of it. Otherwise if you play between the pickups there’s quite a gap below them to the body. Sometimes having a ramp can encourage more consistent and accurate playing. I’ve had them in basses before, but only in basses where the pickups don’t naturally act like a ramp anyway. 

• Like 1

Just now, Grahambythesea said:

Gary Willis likes one on his signature Ibanez. Didn’t early Alembics have something similar but looking like a third pickup?

That’s a hum cancelling coil and normally it sits flush with the surface

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I was told in the studio that by feeling the ramp below your fingers it stops you digging in too much and forces you to play with a lighter touch 🙂

Yup.

They are standard on the Ibanez Gary Willis bass too. I like them a lot.

Billy Sheehan covers the tops of his pickups in epoxy and shapes them into a ramp as well

• Like 1

On 04/02/2019 at 18:03, fretmeister said:

Billy Sheehan covers the tops of his pickups in epoxy and shapes them into a ramp as well

Indeed...

So this is why a ramp helps... even though ironically he doesn't use a ramp as such because, as you say, uses his pick-up for the same purpose...

For me , what ped said.  You get different tones from playing near the bridge and further up the board.  If you like tone between the pups, and you use the anchored thumb technique, there's nowhere to anchor, so a ramp fits the bill.  I have one on my Basso 4, a nice piece of old ebony

RALLY 7.jpg

• Like 1

I had a ramp on the shuker 6 string I had made. It's a brilliant device, and so simple. Having played the bass both with and without it, it was a much better experience with it. It's been described as a natural compressor,  which I think hits the nail on the head. Certainly evened out my ropey right hand technique! 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, chris_b said:

I just think of all the brilliant players who somehow got by without ramps and stuff!

I don't think anyone said you have to use a ramp. But like the other posters here, I got one on my GB and I love it. To the point that on other basses, I view the crevasse between the pick-ups as a right-hand smartness inhibitor.

Edited by visog