Why become a member? ×

kala u sub bass

Bill the 2nd

Hi I have just signed up here tonight and hope to possibly find some answers. I recently had a go with one of these amazing sounding uke basses and was tempted to buy one however the size is really awkward to settle into. I am assuming the strings, Aquila Thundergut that are made of polyurethane or a rubber material are probably the main component for such a deep sound, almost like an upright at times. My question is this:- Does anyone know if or heard of, a standard or short scale bass has ever been fitted with them or if they are available other than the uke @ 20" scale.  Tried the internet but no luck as yet.

1 minute ago, TheGreek said:

Have you tried a Ashbory Bass...I think that these were the first micro basses with the rubber strings.

Image result for Ashbory

The white strings get sticky and owners compensated by covering them with talk. I'm told The black replacement strings are better.

Thanks for the info and I think this is just the kind of thing I'm looking for, if the strings are still available I'd be quite happy to have a go at fitting them to my Gretsch short scale bass as a project. Ill check out Ashbory bass strings on line. 

1 hour ago, Bill the 2nd said:

Thanks for the info and I think this is just the kind of thing I'm looking for, if the strings are still available I'd be quite happy to have a go at fitting them to my Gretsch short scale bass as a project. Ill check out Ashbory bass strings on line. 

You'll need to fit a piezo pickup too, unless your intention is to play it acoustically.  

I've thought about going something similar to your plan, so I'll be interested in seeing how this works out.  Good luck.

An outfit called Buzzard basses or something similar offers advice and kits for converting 1/2 and 3/4 size guitars into U-basses, and said that the standard (20-inch) Thundergut strings will fit up to 23 inches without risk of snapping. Also, Kala make solid bodied U-basses with a 23 inch scale, including a 5-string with a low B. 

Aquila also make a short necked bass (https://aquilacorde.com/en/shop/strumenti-en/shortbassone-60/) and rubbery strings to suit - they are doped with copper to make them lower pitched without being thicker. The scale length is 60 cm / 23.5 inches

If you want something longer, it may be feasible to pick A-D-G strings for a 20 inch U-bass and a C or similar from a baritone ukulele (also 20 inch scale), and tune them to work as E-A-D-G on a longer scale.

David

Thanks to you guys above for the help, however it transpires that even if the strings were available for my shortest scale bass at 28"  it seems it's not feasible to fit these type of strings IE too many alterations to the bridge as the strings have no anchor lugs they tie, the nut would need filed out also the tuning heads replaced. Looks like the best option, other than buying a u bass might be a bass pedal of some description to try and achieve those deep bass tones. Even spoke without success to a custom guitar builder who has years of experience hand crafting guitars.

On 03/02/2019 at 19:55, Bill the 2nd said:

I'm a little bit tempted by a Kala uke bass, but my problem is that I had an Ashbory for a short while and it was horrible - never stayed in tune, strings were awful, nice idea but just unusable! Is the Kala any better??

9 hours ago, peteb said:

I'm a little bit tempted by a Kala uke bass, but my problem is that I had an Ashbory for a short while and it was horrible - never stayed in tune, strings were awful, nice idea but just unusable! Is the Kala any better??

I’ve got a Countryman uke bass, fitted with white Thunderguts as standard. Tried a few when I bought it, and couldn’t justify an extra £200 + on the Kala when this one sounded so good. Also the thought that I wouldn’t be wasting too much dosh if I couldn’t get on with it. 

At first the strings needed bringing up to pitch every time I used it, but this settled after a few gigs and became fairly stable. They are an acquired taste IMO, but do sound great. Just depends on whether you can get used to the very short scale and feel of rubber! 

20 hours ago, peteb said:

The kala I tried for one day I actually bought, but the guys in guitar guitar (I buy all my gear from them) were really appreciative that if I couldn't get used to the semi acoustic shape and very short scale that I could return it which I did. The tuning was excellent but the body kept digging into my forearm not a great thing to stand and play for any length of time.  I also have the Gretsch short scale but only play it on a rare occasion I think the twin humbuckers make it sound a bit boomy at times but it's a nice bass to play.

Edited by Bill the 2nd

• 2 weeks later...

Just to bring some kind of conclusion to the subject of trying to achieve that elusive double bass sound. I ordered a Harley Benton u bass from Thomann and must say I'm really impressed with the guitar. It is a little larger in size to the Kala and as such feels so much easier to play and the bottom end is really stunning, here are the stats.

Harley Benton Kahuna CLU-Bass Ukulele Custom Line Kahuna Series Uke-Bass, Traveller-sized, spruce top,
mahogany body, carved back, mahogany neck, C-shape, blackwood fingerboard (Pinus Radiata), DOT-inlays, 20
frets, scale 534 mm, nut width 42,0 mm, blackwood bridge (Pinus Radiata), black open gear tuners, pro pickup
system with built-in tuner, Aquila strings, finish: natural satin. 

Harley Benton Kahuna CLU-Bass Ukulele

At £130 it isn't expensive and really worth trying out, I will be using this bass at our next practice in two weeks time "cant wait to bang it through a 300 watt rig" and look forward to the bands hopeful surprise at the fantastic low end from such a small instrument.

I've got an Ashbory and a Kala (Thomann were flogging them off cheap). Haven't gigged the Kala but I have gigged the Ashbory on numerous occasions at ceilidhs. It has the silicone strings on which I've never had a problem with. Once they've settled, they stay in tune pretty well - I did check them a couple of times at each gig but only a little more frequently than normal basses.

Those HBs look pretty good and my experience of HB instruments has been good. The only caveat I'd sound is that being acoustic-bodied, they will be more susceptible to feedback than solid-bodies. I don't know how much of a problem that is, though, and it's going to vary by what environment it's used in.

8 hours ago, Bill the 2nd said:

Just to bring some kind of conclusion to the subject of trying to achieve that elusive double bass sound. I ordered a Harley Benton u bass from Thomann and must say I'm really impressed with the guitar. It is a little larger in size to the Kala and as such feels so much easier to play and the bottom end is really stunning, here are the stats.

Harley Benton Kahuna CLU-Bass Ukulele Custom Line Kahuna Series Uke-Bass, Traveller-sized, spruce top,
mahogany body, carved back, mahogany neck, C-shape, blackwood fingerboard (Pinus Radiata), DOT-inlays, 20
frets, scale 534 mm, nut width 42,0 mm, blackwood bridge (Pinus Radiata), black open gear tuners, pro pickup
system with built-in tuner, Aquila strings, finish: natural satin. 

Harley Benton Kahuna CLU-Bass Ukulele

At £130 it isn't expensive and really worth trying out, I will be using this bass at our next practice in two weeks time "cant wait to bang it through a 300 watt rig" and look forward to the bands hopeful surprise at the fantastic low end from such a small instrument.

A nice end to the story. Or is it?

Be prepared for negative comments from band members. When I whipped out my Countryman Uke bass the guitarist said "that looks a bit naff on stage".

My reply was, "what, more than your fat belly, dad jeans and red trainers?".

I'm not in that band anymore. 😉

Edited by Len_derby
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Len_derby said:

A nice end to the story. Or is it?

Be prepared for negative comments from band members. When I whipped out my Countryman Uke bass the guitarist said "that looks a bit naff on stage".

My reply was, "what, more than your fat belly, dad jeans and red trainers?".

I'm not in that band anymore. 😉

Excellent reply to your guitarist, who needs band members like that anyway LOL. We shall see what, if anything is said and I have your well observed reply ready just in case.

Cheers.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, tauzero said:

I've got an Ashbory and a Kala (Thomann were flogging them off cheap). Haven't gigged the Kala but I have gigged the Ashbory on numerous occasions at ceilidhs. It has the silicone strings on which I've never had a problem with. Once they've settled, they stay in tune pretty well - I did check them a couple of times at each gig but only a little more frequently than normal basses.

Those HBs look pretty good and my experience of HB instruments has been good. The only caveat I'd sound is that being acoustic-bodied, they will be more susceptible to feedback than solid-bodies. I don't know how much of a problem that is, though, and it's going to vary by what environment it's used in.

Thanks for your input, as yet I have to see what the feedback is like if any. 

Cheers