Why become a member? ×

Lowering the Action on DB

lowlandtrees

Just got this double bass with a lovely tone but the action is set up for orchestral playing...I think...well really high. Fine for

pizz with the right hand but murder on the left. My question is whether lowering the action would reduce the tone quality or volume? It has Medium Helicore orchestral strings on at prez. I mainly pizz with  occasional arco but am going to twice monthly bowing lessons. It is a professional instrument so don’t want to do work that I would regret.

On 03/02/2019 at 22:21, lowlandtrees said:

I thought about an adjustable but concerned that it would lose sound quality and volume? 

Not noticeably. Adjustable bridges are very common in the USA where basses often have to endure dramatic changes in the weather and you use the adjusters to compensate for the flexing of the bass in response to humidity.

1000s of USA double bassists can't all be wrong...

In answer to your original question, lowering the action will reduce acoustic volume as the string has potentially less room to vibrate.  However, using steel/synthetic/gut strings will also  noticeably affect volume and sustain, as will your right hand technique

Personally, I'd rather have an instrument that I could actually play without injuring myself than a tone monster that I can only squeeze a few notes out of before developing RSI.

Why not have a new bridge with a lower action fitted?  If you keep the old bridge you can put the bass back as it was in about 10 minutes.

• Like 2

Lots of info re adjustable bridges and whether they affect sound quality and volume on the Gollihur website.Click their Upright Bass Resources and then FAQ's for info and links.There is also info in the bridge section of their catalogue. Bottom line is there is very little effect and they refer to several studies that have been done on this topic. I'm in Canada and many bass players(including orchestral) use them and I'm planning to eventually replace the regular bridge on my DB with an adjustable.I have an adjustable on my Yamaha SLB 200 EUB and it is interesting to see what happens to sound and playability when I make changes to the bridge height. I think they are a great idea for any bass. Some players change the height if they play several very different genres of music on the same bass and can change easily from slap to bowing or pizz with a few turns of the adjusters.

Good luck!

Edited by Staggering on

If the bridge is not madly high, I´ll check the nut slots and fingerboard first. My opinion is, that strings as low as possible on the nut + properly planned fingerboard allow having them little higher on the bridge without losing easy feeling on the neck. Fingerboard planning could be a huge deal unfortunately :(

On 07/02/2019 at 16:26, TheRev said:

Or you can take a jig saw and re-cut the top of the bridge

Bin there, done that, worked a treat. 

Sure a top notch soloist would not agree, but for my amateur classical scrapings and attempts at Jazz, it's fine. 

Certainly nicer than it used to be; easier to play, better pizz growl.  Can't bow as loudly, but I have the biggest and loudest bass in the orchestra, so not really an issue.