Why become a member? ×

Amp EQ setting advice sought from pick players

Sparky Mark

Having played fingerstyle for over 40 years I am joining a rock covers band where 90%+ of the set would be better played with a pick. 

On previous occasions when I have dabbled with picks I have found the volume of the amp seems to leap considerably but simply turning down kind of loses something.

My EQ settings for fingers have been pretty much nominally flat on all amps (at least according to the knobs) and I wondered if predominantly pick players could advise how they set theirs please?

I'm using Fender Jazz and Precision basses using Dunlop 0.73mm picks (I'm finding 0.88mm and 1mm too inflexible at the moment; perhaps as my technique improves I'll move up).

Many thanks for any and all advice. 

Edited by Sparky Mark
Spelling mistake

In general for rock covers, especially if using the Precision I`d start with everything flat, then knock back on the low-mids and add in treble. If an option also add some high mids but at 2kHz or above. I`ve found that for pick use with a Precision the low-mids really jump out and can really get in the way, especially if guitar is a Les Paul.

I know live sound is different to recorded but our producer also said that too much on the  low mids gets in the way of the kick-drum, and gave me a demo of this. Was quite enlightening really. Simply backing off of the low-mids at around 400Hz suddenly gave the kick-drum a much better presence and also the guitar had a much better sound.

• Thanks 1

A cut to the highs (usually by turning the tone down on the bass) and a boost to the lower mids is what I usually use, although I find my volume is higher with fingers than a pick, or rather a lot thicker, so that's why I find the boost to the low mids helps.

• Thanks 1

I’ve been a mix of pic & fingers, depending on the song. I’ve always kept the same setting on the amp for both & use the bass’ twiddly things to dial in the sound (if needed).

Conan’s suggestion of a compressor to level things out might be worth investing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use the same settings with and without a pick. I switch from fingers to pick, and vary the angle of the pick and where I strike the strings anywhere between the end of the neck and the bridge, for different tones. I use D'Addario Delrin, very stiff. I use the same picks with bass and guitar. Light picks don't give me enough control. I don't know if they even make these any more, bought a gross of them many years ago, and they never break.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the advice guys. I will give all of the above a go and dust off my MB Compressore as inconsistent attack could be the main culprit in volume fluctuations. It's been very interesting (to me) to read the sometimes polar opposite advice.

• Like 1

I use a 5dB cut over the whole level when moving from fingers to a pick, There's not actually 5dB in it but I find that the sound a pick stands out way more whilst fingers are more subtle, so a 5dB cut is perfect.

I used to mess on with a graphic eq that was set to boost the low mids and cut the treble and such when I switched to a pick, but then I wondered why I was bothering switching technique when I'd equalised the differences so now I just account for the (apparent) level.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

I use the same settings with and without a pick. I switch from fingers to pick, and vary the angle of the pick and where I strike the strings anywhere between the end of the neck and the bridge, for different tones. I use D'Addario Delrin, very stiff. I use the same picks with bass and guitar. Light picks don't give me enough control. I don't know if they even make these any more, bought a gross of them many years ago, and they never break.

I could have typed the very same reply!

I do use a little multi-band compression for the overall mix and some band-pass drive in the upper mids only that may well help to even out switching between playing styles, but I control the overall level with the pick or fingers. I like a solid plectrum rather than anything too bendy as well. I would say that my slap, tap, fingers and pick playing are all reasonably practiced out to be the same volume. My bass of choice probably helps with that by design. 

• Thanks 1

I generally use the pick because that's the sound that I want so I don't automatically have a different EQ setting just because I am using a pick. Having said that I use a Line6 Helix, so every song potentially has a slightly different EQ (sometimes I even have EQ changes in different parts of the same song) to get the bass to sit in the correct changing sonic area cause by the different sounds of the other instruments.

Also I've found that my pick playing is slightly quieter than my finger style.

• Thanks 1