Why become a member? ×

Need a new Cab

PatrickJ

Morning Bass Chatters,

I find myself cab-less after recently parting with my two 4x10 cabinets as part of my 2018 gear reduction strategy.

The 4x10's were overkill for the sorts of venues I was playing and were taking up way to much space in the house.

I'm looking for recommendations for a more compact rig suitable for pub / small private party events.

My current head is a Markbass Little Mark Tube (500w @4 Ohm).  As for style, the band I play with is moving towards Indie Rock covers though I'd really like to be playing more funk based music (Motet, Electro Deluxe, ToP etc.) - I'm not sure they are too far apart sound wise.

All advice and suggestions welcome.

~PJ

Edited by PJ-Bassist

If you like the Markbass sound the NY121 cab is a great little one to have - so two of them would be very good to have. I gigged for ages with the CMD121 combo with an NY121 cab, which is essentially the same cab as the combo, and it was plenty for pub-sized venues. Nice and portable too.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CameronJ said:

Good advice from @chris_b.

There was a pair of TKS 112s going for sale on here a little while ago for a very reasonable price - I think they may still be available. Really great cabs made in Sweden. @mcnach and @wateroftyne can confirm!

TKS are great cabs. I am selling an H115, which will certainly not compete with two 410s, but is easily loud enough (and clear as a bell) to cope with any backline-only gigs. Lovely and light too... I use a Markbass LM2 with it and they are very compatible.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, chris_b said:

What is your budget? Where are you?

IMO cabs worth considering would be Bergantino, Genzler, Barefaced, Mesa Boogie Subway, Vanderkley and Markbass.

+1^^ Chris has pretty much nailed it. 

If you're after a more "hi fi" sound, based on what I've heard, then I'd swap out Markbass for Tecamp / Eich.

Markbass cabs tend to roll off the treble a touch, giving a warmer but less crisp tone which some folk really like; others describe as a 'blanket' over their cabs. They are, however, significantly cheaper than some of the other cabs listed above but certainly still considered "high end" by your average non BCer!

The other option instead of two 1x12 is, of course, a 2x12. 

For me, I've found my preferred 'compromise' between power handling, portability and great tone in my VK210 LNT (1200W AES, 44lbs). But the BF SC I bought off you still wins out for rehearsals and pub gigs for sheer convenience and my band can't believe how light it is! :)

Edited by Al Krow

I play a lot of similar venues, pubs, clubs, weddings and only ever use a 212. I upgraded from my Rs212 last year to a Bergantino Cn212 (4 ohm) I couldn’t be happier with it. It is plenty loud enough, very transparent so you really do get out what you put in! 

I use it with. TC RH750 and a Mesa Boogie M6. Both amps are very different but sound great with it. 

22 hours ago, CameronJ said:

Good advice from @chris_b.

There was a pair of TKS 112s going for sale on here a little while ago for a very reasonable price - I think they may still be available. Really great cabs made in Sweden. @mcnach and @wateroftyne can confirm!

Me too.
I use 2 X S112s. Great cabs. 
Ive gone to move them on in the past, then realised the mistake i was making.

• Like 2

I went into Andertons yesterday to try a few cabs side by side.

I tried the Markbass NY121 and can't say I liked it all that much.  

However I was blown away by the Genzler Bass Array and Aguilar SL112 - the clarity on those cabs was just incredible - more than I wanted to spend this year but definitely on the GAS list for the future.

18 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

I went into Andertons yesterday to try a few cabs side by side.

I tried the Markbass NY121 and can't say I liked it all that much.  

However I was blown away by the Genzler Bass Array and Aguilar SL112 - the clarity on those cabs was just incredible - more than I wanted to spend this year but definitely on the GAS list for the future.

Those Genzler Array cabs are very cool!

On 03/02/2019 at 23:53, Al Krow said:

Markbass cabs tend to roll off the treble a touch, giving a warmer but less crisp tone which some folk really like; others describe as a 'blanket' over their cabs. They are, however, significantly cheaper than some of the other cabs listed above but certainly still considered "high end" by your average non BCer!

I ended up buying the Markbass traveller 2×10.

It certainly lacked the clarity of the other 2 cabs with EQ at noon, but with some adjustment (treble boost, low mid cut) I could get it to a similar ball park.  I figured in the mix with the band most of that clarity would be lost anyway.

There were a load of other advantages to the Markbass cab too.  I.e being half the price and in vertical format the foot print was smaller -  downsizing was a definite objective.

1 hour ago, PJ-Bassist said:

I figured in the mix with the band most of that clarity would be lost anyway.

That's probably not true. That clarity will enable people to hear your bass lines through the racket made by those loud guitars and shed-building drummers. Of course you'll need the right amount of volume, but you will require less volume to cut through if your sound is clear and well defined.

• Like 3