Why become a member? ×

Need a new amp, any suggestions?

51m0n

Got the answer from Didier, the company owner-designer, concerning the GSS Sumo 1000 : it's a proprietary design, so nothing to do with the Pascal Audio module. It would be interesting to compare the both, but I won't buy a Trickfish 1k or a Warwick LWA1000 to do so, though the Warwick is so "cheap"... 🤔

You could do what I did... Buy a pedal or pre that covers your eq needs. That covers DI-ing to PA. I use a large pedal board plus a BBE pre.

Then get a Crown PA power amp to power your on-stage ,monitors. I got the XLS1502 at about £350, which when bridged into 4 ohms gives 1500W. XLS2002 gives more!

The sound is incredibly clean, cuts through wonderfully with no traditional bass amp honk, and I can hear 20Hz if I use down octavers!

On 09/02/2019 at 12:42, Leonard Smalls said:

You could do what I did... Buy a pedal or pre that covers your eq needs. That covers DI-ing to PA. I use a large pedal board plus a BBE pre.

Then get a Crown PA power amp to power your on-stage ,monitors. I got the XLS1502 at about £350, which when bridged into 4 ohms gives 1500W. XLS2002 gives more!

The sound is incredibly clean, cuts through wonderfully with no traditional bass amp honk, and I can hear 20Hz if I use down octavers!

This is all great, and then you play without your pa and have to rely on a house pa incapable of projecting sound below 1KHz run by Norman whose been doing this job 60 years man and boy and is subsequently as deaf as a post, and his culpable assistant keV who can't quite work out how to tie his shoe laces or keep his trousers from descending beneath his derrière. At which point you need a big bastard bass rig in order for the band to actually hear you, since Norman is convinced you can catch IEMs from kissing someone funny, and won't have any truck with that funny stuff on his 'stage'....

Edited by 51m0n
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, afterimage said:

Have the Bamp 

Bergantino gear is pretty good, but my one argument against his amps are the way they are heavily targeted at his cabs, which I no longer use, since the Big Twin works far better for me than my old Berg rigs did.

Plus all that DSP gubbins is just asking to go wrong 🤣

10 hours ago, 51m0n said:

This is all great, and then you play without your pa and have to rely on a house pa

Not at all! I use the bridged Crown to power my 1x15 Precision Devices and 2x10 Markbass cabs. The Markbass is fine on it's own for small venues, even without going through the PA. And on 1/2 power amp volume with both cabs I can drown out both drumkit and our guitarist...

16 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Not at all! I use the bridged Crown to power my 1x15 Precision Devices and 2x10 Markbass cabs. The Markbass is fine on it's own for small venues, even without going through the PA. And on 1/2 power amp volume with both cabs I can drown out both drumkit and our guitarist...

This is the measure of 'enough' power for me too ;)

10 hours ago, garyt said:

If you liked the Mark Bass gear, you'll probably love the little mark tube 800W.  I have the LM3 and can't fault it, but have a friend who raves about his Tube 800W (which doesn't help the GAS)

Way back in the day when the 800w Markbass amps first came out there were a lot of comparisons between them and the LMII. Invariably the common thread in those reviews was how the extra headroom was great, but the inherent special part of the LMII tone wasn't there in the same way.

Now with the Trickfish there is a similar comparison between the .5k and 1k heads, and I am not sure whether I will go for the 1k for that exact reason.

• Like 1

Hi All, 

Anyone have long-term experience and comparisons with the Warwick?

I'm in a similar situation to the OP, looking for a new amp of similar spec. I've seen the Warwick LWA1000 on Thomann and it seems like incredible value. The two channels looks somewhat superfluous compared to say the Quilter BB800, but then since it comes with a foot-pedal to switch channels, it basically saves ever needing an eq pedal on the pedalboard as you have two sounds ready to go, great for a varied setlist. I can't seem to find many long-term user-reviews online so any LWA1000 users please chime in!

At less than £400, why shouldn't I buy the Warwick? 

Cheers,

Rich

6 minutes ago, richrips said:

Hi All, 

Anyone have long-term experience and comparisons with the Warwick?

I'm in a similar situation to the OP, looking for a new amp of similar spec. I've seen the Warwick LWA1000 on Thomann and it seems like incredible value. The two channels looks somewhat superfluous compared to say the Quilter BB800, but then since it comes with a foot-pedal to switch channels, it basically saves ever needing an eq pedal on the pedalboard as you have two sounds ready to go, great for a varied setlist. I can't seem to find many long-term user-reviews online so any LWA1000 users please chime in!

At less than £400, why shouldn't I buy the Warwick? 

Cheers,

Rich

Other than the form factor, which personally makes me very uncomfortable?

It seems to be too good to be true, so I did a bit of searching into any issues people are finding with it, quite a lot of noise about compressors and power amp clipping and lots of requests for a schematic. That puts me right off my pie personally...
Obviously I am an ancient and wizened old grumpy bastard and it might all be a lot of smoke with no fire, but I wont risk my cash on anything with a lot of noise about it. Trickfish offer a 5 year warranty on their kit as standard. Suits me!

Thanks for the quick response. I totally agree the looks are more 80's hifi than 2019 bass gear :) 

4 year warranty once registered. The comments I've read about the compressor leave me undecided. Clearly by turning the compressor up you can get a clipping sound, but then this seems to be explained and mooted in the comments here, with the overall opinion of the amp seeming very positive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD6M09XhbqM

Has anyone lived with the LWA1000 for a while? Or done an A/B with the Warwick and any newer amps of similar spec?

cheers,

Rich

If you want loads of power, there is this "thing" for sale for a ridiculous price. Its power is close to 1000 AES... I had one, but the beast is very heavy and has a fan (I really can't stand fans). Apart from that, it was good sounding. Check this https://www.zikinf.com/annonces/dispannonce.php?annonce=1664819

And here, the real power measured. 

"Using a 1 Khz signal in, and a maximum of 2% distortion here's the results:

2 Ohm operation with only 1 channel = 930 WRMS
4 Ohm operation both sides at the same time = 625 WRMS per ch.
4 Ohm bridged = 1500 WRMS

While in bridged mode I ran it up to 10% distortion and hit 1700 WRMS for quite a while before the 18 A on board breaker tripped."

This will be the perfect companion for my Hathor 18134, rated at 1580 Watts AES under 4 Ohms.

Earthquakes announced next week in the south of Belgium.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Al Krow said:

@51m0n so you come to a decision then? :) 

Still waiting for a trickfish 1k to get to bassdirect to try it out, glad I didn't hold my breath ;) ...

Had to gig with a Quilter BB800 last Saturday - loud as nuts with a BF Big Twin II, but not as clean a tone intrinsically from that amp as I would like - definitely not a hardship to play but not quite my ideal. Got some comments on the bass tone being massive and superb, but still not quite what I am really after as my base tone.