Why become a member? ×

Anyone know who built this UK-made bass?

NikNik

Was having  a skite on the 'net for Devon basses when I spotted the attached photo.  Given my 'Devon basses' search criteria, It had, I suppose,  once appeared on Preloved in the Devonshire area but I couldn't manage to find the actual page on Google Cache. Anyone know who built this bass?

Bass in Devon.jpg

Edited by NikNik

Has a good (lack of) fret access - I think that beats the SR705 for its 30th fret access! *

Think it looks rather good, if I wanted a fretless

* By my dodgy screen measuring calcuations, that would give you access to 35 frets, or almost 3 octaves, although I am guessing intonation might be a bit tricky there!

Edited by Woodinblack
Calcuations

47 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Has a good (lack of) fret access - I think that beats the SR705 for its 30th fret access! *

I didn't realize there is a good reason behind that weird shape (I tend to forget there is life above the 12th fret :biggrin:). Now It makes more sense

Edited by oZZma

4 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Think it looks rather good, if I wanted a fretless

* By my dodgy screen measuring calcuations, that would give you access to 35 frets, or almost 3 octaves, although I am guessing intonation might be a bit tricky there!

The description says it has 38 unfret markers. Though there's one each side of the neck at the 12th unfret, so that might just be the gravestones for 37 frets rather than 38.

16 hours ago, NikNik said:

Was having  a skite on the 'net for Devon basses when I spotted the attached photo.  Given my 'Devon basses' search criteria, It had, I suppose,  once appeared on Preloved in the Devonshire area but I couldn't manage to find the actual page on Google Cache. Anyone know who built this bass?

Bass in Devon.jpg

Stevie Wonder?

Oops Dad just seen your post. 

Edited by spectoremg
  • Haha 1

That's a work of art, that is, quite beautifully executed.

Also manages to be a single-cut that doesn't look fat & lumpy - which seems to be something most manufacturers/builders find beyond challenging.

Too many strings, & to me it's aesthetically compromised by the humungously long fingerboard and the enormous cutaway needed to access it. Would be nice to see the same design with a bass-appropriate string count (5 or fewer!) and a more balanced body shape.

• Like 1