Why become a member? ×

Zoom B3 vs Windows 10

D.I. Joe

Until recently, the two seemed to exist in perfect harmony.

Most of my practising is performed in headphones, through my B3 which is plugged via USB into my laptop. The audio output of the computer goes through the B3, so in the headphones I get both the Bass and laptop audio. 

Until I downloaded the most recent Windows 10 update...

Now, the USB seems only to power the B3 and my laptop doesn't seem to register the B3 at all. Edit & Share won't open properly and I don't even get the options to send the PC audio to the B3. I haven't tried recording with it recently, but I assume that the situation is the same.

I've tried downloading all of the latest software and firmware updates for the B3 from Zoom but this doesn't seem to have made any difference. Does anybody else have experience of this, and can anyone advise on a fix?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

My B3 seems to work fine still and windows is all up to date on my PC, so it's possible the windows update is a coincidence.

Have you tried using a different USB cable and/or connecting to a different USB port on your PC?

If you look in "Device Manager" on your PC (quickest way to get to it is to right-click on the start menu)  does the B3 show up? On mine it appears under "Audio inputs and outputs", "Software devices", and "Sound, video and game controllers". Possibly in other places as well, but those are the ones I've spotted so far. 

If it's a driver issue, they may show up but with a yellow exclamation mark - sometimes you can get some useful information by right clicking and selecting properties...

Did you apply the B3 firmware update from the laptop OK?

• Like 1

Problem seems to be resolved... I plugged into another USB port and it worked!

The port which I'm now using is the one which I have usually used historically, but I'm sure that it used to work from all ports on the computer :scratch_one-s_head:

Thanks for the advice chaps, I'll bear it all in mind if I have problems in the future! 

My USB interface occasionally becomes unrecognised by Windows.

I right click the speaker icon on the taskbar, click on Troubleshoot sound problems, follow the procedure shown and usually this is enough for everything to return to normal operation. Sometimes that doesn't work but there is an option on there to reinstall drivers, then a quick reboot, this has worked without fail. So far ! 

Joe, just seen above that it is all working again.😃

If it happens again, give the above a try, my laptop seems to not like the USB cable being unplugged and needs a gentle kick in the nether regions to get it to behave.

Don't we all.

• Haha 1

• 4 years later...

Hey there! I can relate to your Zoom B3 and Windows 10 compatibility issue. I've also heard of others encountering similar problems after updating to the latest Windows 10 version. Have you tried checking out the Windows 10 Reddit key to see if anyone has posted a solution to this issue? It's a great community where tech-savvy folks share their knowledge and troubleshoots problems. If you still can't find a fix, I suggest contacting Zoom support for further assistance. They should be able to provide you with a solution or recommend an update that can resolve the issue. Good luck!

Edited by Todd Harrison
  • Like 1