Why become a member? ×

Rob Allen - action

dodgnofski

I'm attempting to save up for a Rob Allen 30" Lined Fretless Mouse, but being an ultra low action Fan, can any existing owners give me an indication of how low the action is and  if possible a measurement around the 12th Fret region and if anyone has lowered the action and how? The only way I've been able to lower the action on previous Acoustic / Electro acoustics with 'fixed' bridges, was by adjusting the truss rod a smidge and by shaving down the underside of the bridge saddle - But I wouldn't fancy attempting that on such an expensive instrument. 👍

String heights at 12th fret for my RA Mouse are:

G - 7/64" (2.78mm)

E - 10/64 (3.97mm)

I have mine set up with an almost dead straight neck (just the tiniest clack of relief) so there's no further lowering possible on that front.

The stock saddle is already quite low profile with just 4/64 (1.58mm) being above the saddle. You could probably lower this by 1mm max but it may affect string pressure on the piezo. Personally I wouldn't do that as there's really not enough leeway to play with.

The Mouse really doesn't allow for a super low set up. On the other hand, the medium/high stock setup is optimised to allow a great dynamic range - and boy this diminutive little beast really does sing! The whole instrument feels alive in your hands, it's like no other bass I've ever played. 

I actually prefer a medium/low setup on my regular basses, but the higher action on the Mouse doesn't bother me at all. The nylon strings are very compliant and easy to play. The higher action allows them room to vibrate freely which lends an incredibly expressive character to the sound.

Couple of pics below

IMG_20190203_181010.thumb.jpg.3d583a3e1f7cefd2e014089a171f3506.jpgIMG_20190203_181028.thumb.jpg.7a46625b5fd66b3a69a5eb93e02ec621.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your very comprehensive and informative reply - it is very much appreciated 👍👍.

The pics are also very helpful, as the top one shows that the fret lines continue over the edge of the finger board - which were sadly lacking on my Tanglewood Lined Fretless.

The second picture confirms that there seems to be very little wiggle room to reduce the bridge saddle and to to take any off the actual bridge body itself on an instrument of this value would probably be inadvisable - to say the least 🙈!!

As previously stated being a low action fan - my Basses are set at around 2mm at the twelfth fret position, so with also being an arthritic ridden old fossil, I always struggle with anything much higher ☹️!!

Thank you again for your help and may I say your Mouse really does look like a Bobby Dazzler 👍👍

All the best,

Tim

Edited by dodgnofski

Tim,

If I remember correctly, this is a bolt on neck, so simply put a decently madenout of very dry maple wood shim in the neck pocket. This will lower the action, add some useful tilting to the neck, but please use the truss rod for what it's meant for : adjusting the neck relief and not the action.

• Like 1

I did think of trying a shim on mine when I first got it. I removed the bolts but the neck was such a super tight fit in the pocket I decided to leave well alone. I think the tight fit of the neck is part of what makes it feel and sound so alive. The bridge is also tightly bonded into a recess in the body so energy transfer is maxed at all points.

• Like 1

On 03/02/2019 at 19:38, dodgnofski said:

The pics are also very helpful, as the top one shows that the fret lines continue over the edge of the finger board - which were sadly lacking on my Tanglewood Lined Fretless.

The lines do continue over the edge of the fingerboard but are still very difficult to see, I had lines put in to in order to make them more visible.

Thanks for the info - 

Very much appreciated 👍👍 Yes, those are the 'side lines' I would need with my old eyes - the ones on my Yamaha lined Fretless extend over the edges, but they are very hard to see in anything but good overhead lighting 🙈🙈.

That action would be way too high for me and would need to be no higher than around 2mm at the twelfth fret ☹️☹️

Cheers Frank 👍👍

Edited by dodgnofski