Why become a member? ×

Bass players who take their hand off the neck

PaulWarning

Did we post Bill Clements already? - As far as I understand it, before losing his right hand, Bill Clements was a session player. Much like Rick Allen from Def Leppard, the loss of a limb was gonna hold him back. Massive respect. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, spectoremg said:

Where would music be without you. 

I can answer that one.

Without people like cetera, i.e. who can actually play and know how to put a band / show together then the music scene at the medium size club / better pub level would die and people would stop going to watch live music all together, apart from the big production pop acts and the occasional band that could still manage to tour…

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dood said:

Did we post Bill Clements already? - As far as I understand it, before losing his right hand, Bill Clements was a session player. Much like Rick Allen from Def Leppard, the loss of a limb was gonna hold him back. Massive respect. 

I wish I could play one tenth as well as him with two hands. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dood said:

I remember working on the stage crew on a gig where there was a pretty good band from Newcastle that had a similar bass player i.e. had lost the use of his right arm. 

On 02/02/2019 at 19:33, PaulWarning said:

is it just me or does anybody else find it irritating when bassists take their hand off the neck when playing an open string, usually with a 'look at me aren't I clever' look on their faces? when it's exactly the opposite to being clever.

On the contrary. It’s the perfect opportunity to demonstrate how awesome we bass players are. 

One hand, one finger, one string and still we are the powerhouse behind the band. 

No other musician, other than the cowbell player, has so much awesomeness. 

Look smug? You bet. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, operative451 said:

So just to check, playing with a pick and the bass at knee level while making devil horns with my left hand is ok?

Yep that's very acceptable but not just standing there with your fretting hand by your side expecting people to be impressed by it. 

Rock poses are always good but not looking like a proper ........well you know :laugh1:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, peteb said:

I can answer that one.

Without people like cetera, i.e. who can actually play and know how to put a band / show together then the music scene at the medium size club / better pub level would die and people would stop going to watch live music all together, apart from the big production pop acts and the occasional band that could still manage to tour…

Altogether's one word. Are you his dad?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

Altogether's one word. Are you his dad?

Dude, who knows?? I suspect that cetera may be a bit old to be part of my potential offspring, but the thing is that I have been around a bit and I've just got a clue how it works...

Edited by peteb
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Yep that's very acceptable but not just standing there with your fretting hand by your side expecting people to be impressed by it. 

You could solve a Rubik's cube with that spare hand while it has nothing better to do. Now that would be impressive 

• Haha 1

On 03/02/2019 at 21:28, stewblack said:

I suspect the mistake a lot of you more, ahem, sedentary bassists are making is assuming we're 'showing off' or 'trying to be cool' rather than just having fun or getting carried away. I don't quite know why what someone else chooses to do while playing bass should upset you in any way, or affect you at all really, but each to their own.

same misunderstanding with a bit of slap too...

(I can HEAR some people wince, it's that strong of an emotion)

;)

On 03/02/2019 at 15:23, tedmanzie said:

It's the bass player's equivalent of riding no handed on a bike - you can get away with doing it when you're a teenager, but any older and not only do you look like a knob, it's very likely to go pear shaped 🍐😬

Ride-No-Handed-on-a-Bike-Step-7.jpg

no hands is ok, but... flip flops???????? urgh

• Haha 1