Why become a member? ×

Bass players who take their hand off the neck

PaulWarning

12 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

is it just me or does anybody else find it irritating when bassists take their hand off the neck when playing an open string, usually with a 'look at me aren't I clever' look on their faces? when it's exactly the opposite to being clever.

trying hard to be cool.

What's the issue? As long as the other strings were properly muted before and they aren't ringing, I don't see a problem...when you play music live you're there to also entertain people and acting performance is one of the ways to do it. :)

(obviously as long as it isn't exaggerated and cringy)

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Baxlin said:

Or in my case, to ease the arthritis in my left hand (that’s already stopped me playing my 12-string guitar)

Exactly this with me, arthritis in my hands so it helps to drop my hand and let it rest a bit, and besides, it's usually only for a few seconds.

I also suffer from shoulder problems, so again, it helps to ease the pain.

Why do some people stop and have a rest when they are walking? there's usually a reason why they do.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

When playing Snow Patrol I play open A,  open D and get a member of the audience to press the Ab down on the E string! I've also played it left handed all the way through just to make it slightly more exciting. 

I admire you. I have never managed to make snow patrol anything but abjectly boring...😩

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

God - you'd hate to watch me. I'm always taking my hand off, flipping the guitar over, throwing it around, lifting it up. No there's no need, yes it makes me interesting/fun/cringey to watch (delete according to preference). But I promise you this I only do it because I'm into the music and I cannot stand or sit still while I'm playing.

Obviously being the bass player I have a duty and resonsibility to be the coolest person in the band - I know that, but that doesn't prevent me from being a showman.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, stewblack said:

God - you'd hate to watch me. I'm always taking my hand off, flipping the guitar over, throwing it around, lifting it up. No there's no need, yes it makes me interesting/fun/cringey to watch (delete according to preference). But I promise you this I only do it because I'm into the music and I cannot stand or sit still while I'm playing.

Obviously being the bass player I have a duty and resonsibility to be the coolest person in the band - I know that, but that doesn't prevent me from being a showman.

Pretty much what I was going to say! FFS what an inane topic for a thread...

• Like 6