Why become a member? ×

Packing a 410 for courier to NI - advice please!

Al Krow

Guys,

I've managed to sell my Markbass 410 cab to a chap in NI, but have never previously packed up anything for courier of that size and must admit I'm feeling a bit daunted!

Any tips on doing it well so that it arrives safely?

Getting it properly wrapped

• So I assume the usual bubble-wrap, plus cardboard and maybe extra protection for the corners?
  • It has a Hotcovers padded cover which I presume I will put on as the first protective layer and then bubble wrap around this?
  • Do you guys have a good supplier for hardy cardboard / wrapping material e.g. Amazon?

Getting it couriered

• Guessing this is not going to be cheap (gonna be around 60lbs / 27kg) wrapped up!
  • Been recommended Parcelforce. Any others who might be better / better value?

Cheers, AK

I've sent serveral cabs in the post, though only to UK mainland, but as with all couriers, you have to pack for the lowest common denominator. In other words,  those that dont care.. dropping it , etc.

For cardboard, and i mean that hefty stuff that barely bends, i use my local fridge / freezer / cooker shop, who throw their cardboard into a skip, and are happy to have some taken away, as they pay for removal, and anything taken means they get more in. I've used them umpteen times, and they also have some serious polystyrene slabs that the white goods arrive with, as well as that industrial cardboard.

So bubble wrap first, double cardboard on all corners and edges, then cardboard all round.  Also, duct tape is better than packing tape.

• Thanks 1

Hi Al,

I just replied to your email but will copy my reply here for the benefit of others.

John

I bought double wall cardboard boxes from ebay:

I also used pallet stretch shrink wrap to hold it all together:

I also had a few pieces of hardboard which I used to reinforce the box in some areas.
  • Thanks 1

I recently sold and shipped an Ashdown 4x10. As stated previously, protective cover then the usual suspects of bubble wrap and cardboard.

However to avoid what was a very cumbersome weighty lump being mishandled and to help the drivers and guys at the various handling depots, I cut holes in the sides where the handles were and placed signs all over it instructing said people to use them. Seemed to do the trick. If you make it easier for them, you’ll reduce the risk of it being hurled around.

98472463-F7E7-4C96-A29B-193B2581335B.jpeg

Edited by Deedee
  • Like 3

Personally I wouldn't bother with bubble wrap. You won't be able to put enough around a cab to make any significant difference in the event of it being dropped. Polystyrene slab or heavy duty cardboard tube at all the corners is far better and make sure that the cab can't move even slightly within the box when all packed up.

Heavy duty cardboard should be available free from any shop that receives goods in large cardboard boxes. IME cycle shops are always keen to get rid of their unwanted boxes and packaging.

Do use extra layers of card over the front to protect the speakers and at the back around the where the sockets are.

Finally as @Deedee mentioned cutting holes in the packaging to allow the use of the handles on the cab is an excellent idea.

• Like 1

Beware of insurance coverage levels. Parcelfarce won't give enhanced cover for musical instruments, only their standard cover for the service (£100 or £200, depending on the service). I use interparcel.com and UPS, and have had no problems with them.

6 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Beware of insurance coverage levels. Parcelfarce won't give enhanced cover for musical instruments, only their standard cover for the service (£100 or £200, depending on the service). I use interparcel.com and UPS, and have had no problems with them.

Thanks. But would a speaker cab = a musical "instrument?" I think we got comfortable when shifting an amp recently with Parcelforce that it was electronic kit rather than a musical instrument (which a bass would obviously be) and similarly bass pedals. 

18 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Thanks. But would a speaker cab = a musical "instrument?" I think we got comfortable when shifting an amp recently with Parcelforce that it was electronic kit rather than a musical instrument (which a bass would obviously be) and similarly bass pedals. 

My opinion is never pay for insurance (this applies in general, not just to speaker cabs or musical instruments).

The reason is that, mathematically, it doesn't make any sense.  Suppose it costs 5% of an item's value to insure it.  I'm sure you will make a claim less than 5% of the time; the insurers know the true claim rate, and of course they price their insurance higher than the true odds.  The difference between the percentage cost and the percentage claim rate is how they make their money.  

Therefore on average, you save money by not buying insurance.  You also save time in not having to mess about with the insurance company should the item go lost.  Just refund the buyer and walk away from it all, knowing that you are still up financially, on average.

The only time you should buy insurance is if losing the value of the item will bankrupt you.

Easy to do with 2 centimetres rigid polystyrene panels. I simply cut them to the exact dimensions of the box, then I tape them securely together, and I put an extra heavy duty layer of professional packing cardboard around it. I also tape the whole "box" to avoid humidity or even water problem(s). That said, the more "fragile" stickers you put on it, the more "I don't give a sh*t" you'll get in return.

6 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

My opinion is never pay for insurance (this applies in general, not just to speaker cabs or musical instruments).

The reason is that, mathematically, it doesn't make any sense.  Suppose it costs 5% of an item's value to insure it.  I'm sure you will make a claim less than 5% of the time; the insurers know the true claim rate, and of course they price their insurance higher than the true odds.  The difference between the percentage cost and the percentage claim rate is how they make their money.  

Therefore on average, you save money by not buying insurance.  You also save time in not having to mess about with the insurance company should the item go lost.  Just refund the buyer and walk away from it all, knowing that you are still up financially, on average.

The only time you should buy insurance is if losing the value of the item will bankrupt you.

I think you've never sent £3000 to £4000 GBP goods.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

I think you've never sent £3000 to £4000 GBP goods.

You're right -- it's a sliding scale depending on each person's financial situation.  If suddenly losing £4,000 will bankrupt you (or at least seriously mess things up for a few months) then yes get insurance.  

The service the insurer provides is to smooth out random financial peaks and troughs which one might not want to absorb oneself.  It's a valid service to pay for -- I suppose all I really meant was that sometimes it's worth considering not insuring something.

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

We're talking insurance companies here.

51 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Having just (as a buyer) undergone a traumatic experience where a couple of grands worth of Warwick bass disappeared while with DPD (fortunately reappearing afterwards), I'm sure you won't mind if I completely ignore this advice. Especially as your speculative 5% figure seems rather a long way off the mark. It seems more like 1-2% from my experience. It doesn't have to be a huge percentage for the insurance companies to make a profit - any courier which was losing or destroying 1% of the parcels they handled wouldn't stay in business long. Yes, even Herpes and Yokel.

Sorry to hear about the Warwicks.

As for 5% - it was rounded up, but based on ParcelForce's website: "£1.80 including VAT for the first extra £100 cover and £4.50 including VAT for every subsequent £100".  So that's £15.30 to cover a £350 cab.  Perhaps other couriers are cheaper.

On 02/02/2019 at 18:49, JohnR said:

Hi Al,

I just replied to your email but will copy my reply here for the benefit of others.

John

I bought double wall cardboard boxes from ebay:

I also used pallet stretch shrink wrap to hold it all together:

I also had a few pieces of hardboard which I used to reinforce the box in some areas.

John - I baulked a little at the £21 of that double wall cardboard box! 

Found this on Amazon for £7 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0788631136/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

Went for your shrink wrap though - I remember that working pretty well!

The bike store suggestion is also a good one, but I'll probably be tempted by the bike gear so best steer clear 😂

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Went with Parcelforce (I checked but didn't see anything relating to speaker cabinets being 'excluded').

Cost £78(!!) (including insured for £500 and VAT) which was a fair bit more than I was expecting - so worth bearing that in mind when you are quoting for P&P - I only passed on half of that to the buyer when I was selling. (That covers approx up to 30kg).

Anyway Bill from Parcelforce came today and I helped him load on to the van. Over to them now!

A thank-you from me to all you good folk who pointed me in the right direction :) 

Markbass 104HF VII.jpg

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Went with Parcelforce (I checked but didn't see anything relating to speaker cabinets being 'excluded').

Cost £78(!!) (including insured for £500 and VAT) which was a fair bit more than I was expecting - so worth bearing that in mind when you are quoting for P&P - I only passed on half of that to the buyer when I was selling. (That covers approx up to 30kg).

Anyway Bill from Parcelforce came today and I helped him load on to the van. Over to them now!

A thank-you from me to all you good folk who pointed me in the right direction :) 

Markbass 104HF VII.jpg

The look of resigned weariness that says "How the hell am I going to get that out the other end?!?" :D

• Haha 2

Just now, anzoid said:

The look of resigned weariness that says "How the hell am I going to get that out the other end?!?" :D

No actually it related to Mrs X at no.5 round the corner who wouldn't admit that her bell wasn't working... 😂

• Haha 3