Why become a member? ×

Double NBD - Vintage (JHS)

troubadour

Well NB couple of Days if truth be told.

Vintage Icon VJ74 (Jazz) and Vintage Reissued V4 (Precision) acquired within a few days of each other via the well known auction site.

I'm almost exclusively a P-Bass player but I really like the look of the VJ74 from its photos, the price was good and I didn't have to travel far to collect. I've not been disappointed, it's brilliant. Previous owner had it set up spot on as well so I've not had to touch it.

The V4 is a bit of a mystery. It's not the Tony Butler and I've only seen the maple neck on the white body. I can only speculate what may have happened, if anyone knows I'd be pleased to hear it?

This one is going to need a bit of work to get playing right. But at a total spend of £295 plus a bit of diesel for the two I'm not complaining!

Vintage.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, luckman67 said:

I keep on looking at the V4 Tony Butler sig P bass , is your P bass full Fender thickness?

20 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

The Tony Butler is an excellent bass, a real quality instrument, and a real chunker of a neck. It`s pretty much an exact copy of a 70s Precision.

Chunky necks all round. P bass is full thickness and the J is thicker than I've ever seen. Quite surprised by that, but it suits me nicely.

I'm thinking my V4 is actually the Tony Butler but without the signature. As mentioned in the original post I haven't seen another standard black V4 with a maple neck.

I'm still part way through getting it set up but I'm fearing ultimately it's going to be too heavy for me.

So unfortunately I doubt I'll be gigging it. I may keep it for studio work or I may move it on again. Early days yet though.

6 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

Have to say I really like the look of the VJ74.

Might start keeping my eyes peeled for one floating around 2nd hand.

Do. I'm really, really impressed with it.

I spent an enjoyable afternoon setting both of these up yesterday.

Having said the VJ74 was spot in, it wasn't quite. Someone had over-tightened the truss rod and in doing so rounded off where the hex wrench goes almost. I managed to get enough purchase to loosen it off and get a bit of relief back into the neck. Still not complaining at the price though.

The V4 definitely needed attention and I put a new set of RS66LDs on it. It looks and feels great now. But oh the weight!