Why become a member? ×

Kit inventory lists

Rich

You hear horror stories about folks getting bits of gear nicked, in some cases entire van-loads. I myself was deprived of everything except my bass and amp many years ago by some lightfingered scumbag. So just in case, I have for some time been keeping a continually-updated Word document list of all my items of musical equipment worth over £50. There's a tabulated list of everything, with full descriptions and serial numbers and distinguishing features etc., plus some pages of photos. An example photo page is below, again with attention drawn to serial numbers and distinguishing marks. It takes a bit of time and care putting it together, but I think it's worth it because you never know.
Does anyone else do anything like this, or am I alone in my paranoia? :lol: 

Untitled13.jpg

Edited by Rich
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, oZZma said:

It's a good idea but there is very small hope to find stolen gear even if you can provide such detailed documention... :(

Maybe so. But if the worst happens, at least I've got actual details and pics I can take to the rozzers & Crack Converters, to show them exactly what has been pinched.

41 minutes ago, Teebs said:

I do this too!

I thought I was wierd - but I'm normal!

Hurrah! :)

Gear.jpg

Although Rich's looks way better than mine.

And now I realise that mine is out of date :/

Nah, my pics are bigger, that's all. Yours is just as good.

Here's what my details pages look like.

Untitled12.jpg

• Thanks 1

I've got pictures of instruments and amps etc, complete with serial numbers and where possible I've archived the email records of the purchase transactions, but it's all a bit haphazard and definitely isn't organised enough to be classed as an inventory.

8 minutes ago, Cato said:

I've got pictures of instruments and amps etc, complete with serial numbers and where possible I've archived the email records of the purchase transactions, but it's all a bit haphazard and definitely isn't organised enough to be classed as an inventory.

Me too...I've folder with lots of pictures and an rtf of serial numbers, but only of instruments.

Edited by ahpook

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

Far Canal.

I thought I was anal and obsessive about stuff, but you guys are WAY ahead of me.

:lol::lol::lol:

It's not about obsession or analness(??) really. It's just putting a lot of effort into something that I hope to god I will never need to use :lol:

I had a moment of clarity just before I went on holiday a couple of years ago.

I haven't  got any really expensive instruments or amps, certainly not by basschat standards, but it suddenly dawned on me that I've got enough kit, accumulated over 26 years of playing, that it would cost me a substantial amount to replace it all with equivalent new gear.

At that point I realised it might be an idea to have a word with the house insurance people just to check that my stuff was covered by my standard policy , gather some proof of ownership and record the serial numbers just in case I ever got burgled and had to make a claim or ask the police to keep an eye out for it amongst any stolen goods they might recover.

Edited by Cato

I photograph all of my kit and serial numbers. Sometimes I’m all out on Austin Powers, when really only one picture would be fine..

Annnnnnnnnnnd, I’m spent...

Edited by Dood

25 minutes ago, Dood said:

I photograph all of my kit and serial numbers. Sometimes I’m all out on Austin Powers, when really only one picture would be fine..

Annnnnnnnnnnd, I’m spent...

Same here - nearly. I have a video (well, several actually) of me wandering round the house, pointing at bits of kit, hifi, computers and pretty much anything of value. Viewing them back now, I wish I’d been a) sober, b) coherent and c) fully clothed.

i should take a leaf out of Rich and Teebs’ book and create a spreadsheet. 

But I probably won’t...

• Haha 4