Why become a member? ×

Why would you buy this new for £116.70 ...

Happy Jack

I still haven’t heard a satisfactory explanation for how one re-glazes frets.

I wonder how easily you can play an F-major barre chord on it?

Although I am pleased to see he didn't try to make it unique as that would have made it completely worthless. 

Edited by BreadBin

5 hours ago, Maude said:

I'd buy it but neither of my bands play Dancing in the Moonlight so it's no use to me. 

But you could play A Night in Langney.

Here it is, for those who don't know it yet, live from the studio :

• Sad 1

Again with this rubbish:
"So give old John Hornsby-Skews up north who builds them a break and try one for yourself!"

Why is he trying to imply these are UK built guitars? JHS is the importer (it's spelt John Hornby Skewes btw Mark....), seeing as Mr. Skewes is in his mid 80s and left the company in 2016 I seriously doubt he is assembling Encore parts in his garden shed. MDP did the same with those budget pickups on another bass, allegedly from John Hutchinson of Janika Guitars in Nottingham - ie cheapo Chinese jobbies from the Janika eBay store.

Surely he can't see this bogus sales patter and embellishment as anything other than complete dishonesty?

I noticed on one of his videos there was an adverse comment from someone (no, really, there was) and MDP accused him of being one of 'those Basschat boys'. 😂 We've been rumbled!

I believe he ought to make custom Sitar builds,  Because every time he plays one of his conversions it sounds like one.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this method of trading is unfair for a few reasons;

1, product mis-representation, as noted above.

2, I question the quality and work level that has gone into the overhaul to justify the price hike - change of string and fret ‘glaze’, whatever that is.

3, Buying an instrument should be an experience that leads to a life long skill, buying something like this can only dissuade beginners.

Mr Philips may be the nicest bloke around to chat to, no personal sleight intended, but his luthery capability, methods and rhetoric are certainly suspect and to a beginner or someone on a tight budget I would question the realistic value add he provides.

1 minute ago, gpw5150 said:

I think this method of trading is unfair for a few reasons;

1, product mis-representation, as noted above.

2, I question the quality and work level that has gone into the overhaul to justify the price hike - change of string and fret ‘glaze’, whatever that is.

3, Buying an instrument should be an experience that leads to a life long skill, buying something like this can only dissuade beginners.

Mr Philips may be the nicest bloke around to chat to, no personal sleight intended, but his luthery capability, methods and rhetoric are certainly suspect and to a beginner or someone on a tight budget I would question the realistic value add he provides.

In every YT video his instruments sound awful and have fret buzz all over the place, he seems to promote these as perfect for beginners, easy to play and far better than a factory setup but ignores that he's hacked the nuts and bottomed out the bridges so much the end product is sonically offensive.

I don't think he's all there really, his listings are deliberately deceptive though so I'm not sure where I stand on this. Just feel a bit sorry for any beginner who spends money they will never get back on his creations and will then have to spend more down the line to put it right when they realise what a decent guitar is supposed to play like. MDP himself is a learner player so I'm not sure where this supposed expertise is coming from.

In all fairness, he always runs 100% Feedback. I see that it has just dropped to 99% due to someone cancelling a purchase but then leaving -/ve feedback anyway, which is - frankly - a bit off.

I wouldn't buy anything that's been through his hands, and I wouldn't recommend his products to a friend, but he does seem to have many genuinely satisfied customers.

Just saying ...

16 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

In all fairness, he always runs 100% Feedback. I see that it has just dropped to 99% due to someone cancelling a purchase but then leaving -/ve feedback anyway, which is - frankly - a bit off.

I wouldn't buy anything that's been through his hands, and I wouldn't recommend his products to a friend, but he does seem to have many genuinely satisfied customers.

Just saying ...

I left a negative feedback on ebay a few months ago following a frankly shocking experience in which eBay had to intervene to get my money back from an entirely fraudulent seller, and the feedback was gone within 48 hours. These days, only an idiot lets a negative feedback stay, so eBay feedback is a con, a ruse to make you think that you can trust the system when you can't. 

Spoiler

25 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Looks like someone created an eBay account just to do that and alert people to threads on various forums, not on really.

14 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I generally don't leave negative feedback, even when I have cause to, because as you say, it can easily be removed. 

Exactly, feedback is a poor metric. The problem with +ve only feedback leading to a degree of trust is that you're not sure of the exact degree. There are probably sellers out there routinely having -ve feedback removed, and then there are people (as in your case), who are not even leaving it in the first place. So, theoretically a buyer might see 100% +ve when the truth could be half that. Would you buy a guitar with a 50:50 chance of it being as described, I wouldn't :)

Edited by Beedster

20 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Well, I've changed my mind on feedback removal. Not so easy apparently.

Some f**ktard bought a children's game which I duly sent. Checked into my account this morning to find a negative. I've not had a single message or request for refund from the buyer. Just had a heated conversation with eBay and they're not budging at all.

They want me to send the buyer a message! What the f**k for? The damage is done!

How can it be fair that I'm given no opportunity to make the situation right for the buyer before I receive negative. Serial neutral/negative feedback giver as well. What a tosser.

I'm with you mate. I've had issues with eBay feedback. I too complained to eBay with no help from them.

• Like 1