Why become a member? ×

Band relations by numbers

Mickeyboro

1 hour ago, Deanol said:

Wht doesn't the first number equal the sum of the remaining numbers? Is there a missing state?

For the record, mine is 0-0-0-0

Because first number is how many in the band, which obviously includes you.  How many are friends wouldnt include you, but i see some here have included themselves as friends.  :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oZZma said:

I could never play with someone I dislike, regardless of how good he could be

Same. I left the last musical project I was in when I realised just how badly I'd been mistreated by my 'bandmate'. He was beyond controlling and, looking back, I understand that our relationship was never one of equals. It was his way or nothing. He actually flat out declared he'd never play a riff I'd written  - I should have walked then.

The straw that broke the camel's back was him being a silly billy to me at our last rehearsal - a rehearsal that I'd busted my derrière to get to, two days after my girlfriend's mother had died of cancer.

He really was a c**t. I wasted several years on that project.

29 minutes ago, cjm_2019 said:

Same. I left the last musical project I was in when I realised just how badly I'd been mistreated by my 'bandmate'. He was beyond controlling and, looking back, I understand that our relationship was never one of equals. It was his way or nothing. He actually flat out declared he'd never play a riff I'd written  - I should have walked then.

The straw that broke the camel's back was him being a silly billy to me at our last rehearsal - a rehearsal that I'd busted my derrière to get to, two days after my girlfriend's mother had died of cancer.

He really was a c**t. I wasted several years on that project.

Wow. That's truly a c*nt.

IMO if there is not at least a little bit of sympathy, spending all that time together will be not fun at all. I understand people that make music for living, but if you do it for the pleasure... 

I play bass guitar with a concert (woodwind and brass) band, so on average:

40:12:0:0

I've surprised myself by not being able to think of anyone I really, actively dislike, in all of those people.  However, in my relatively much smaller last gigging blues band, the ratio was:

5:2:0:1

I really struggled to deal with the drummer's odd ways.  His drumming was fine though....

1 hour ago, Cat Burrito said:

I won't work with people I can't get on with. I don't earn enough for that! I've done it in the past and life is too short.

Pretty much nails it for me too. We`re a 3-piece, both the other guys are my mates. 

1 hour ago, Cat Burrito said:

I'm in (to varying degrees) about 5 bands at present and they are all friends. I won't work with people I can't get on with. I don't earn enough for that! I've done it in the past and life is too short.

How on earth do you have time for five bands??!!!! 😱

Edited by PJ-Bassist

5 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

The total number of people in your band

The number you would call friends

The number who are colleagues

The number you actively dislike

5 - 4 - 0 - 0 

"Friends" being peeps I would go out of my way to spend time with outside of music and (mutually) trust with serious life stuff. 

suppose it depends how busy the band is as well, I get on better with people outside the band, I am guilty of fighting my corner with a little bit to much enthusiasm at times, I was watching a documentary and it was saying, correctly in my view, that the longer a band goes on the less time the members spend together, so with that in mind

Plus we have 3 sound guys who I would describe as being friendly with.  Only of the band was I friends with before we started but, after ten years, I regard the band as all close friends of mine I could always rely on.  That doesn't mean that they all don't get on my tits on a regular basis though 😅

10 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

Just for fun...

List: the total number of people in your band 

The number you would call friends

The number who are colleagues

The number you actively dislike

My band: 4-0-2-1

Maybe there’s a coefficient of happiness hidden in there somewhere?

8-3-0-0

7-1-0-0

4-1-0-0

There was a band that went from 4-2-0-0 to 4-2-0-1, and then I killed the band (it was my project). I don't think I can be in a band where I actively dislike anyone... (it's not my job... at work I do dislike actively a few people ;) )

edit: the definition of 'friends' is important, 'though. I don't call many people 'a friend', to me that's someone with whom I have a special connection. I suspect that others may be a bit more... accommodating in their definitions, and from their perspective I'd easily be 8-6-0-0, 7-5-0-0, etc...

Edited by mcnach

3-2-0-0

4-1-2-0 (I've known the 1 about 15 years, the others a couple of months)

4-0-3-0 (should be 5-x-x-x but we still haven't got a singer and I've only done 3 rehearsals with them)

I think I've actively disliked one former bandmate, about 30 years ago (she was the band leader and she eventually sacked me). But there's been a few I haven't actually disliked but would describe as being self-abusers.

Band A:

1: 5

2: 1

3: 1

4: 2

Band B:

1: 7

2: 3

3: 3

4: 0

Band C

1: 6

2: 3

3: 1

4: 1

Scores reflect some new members about whom I am of course still neutral.

To those who won't gig with anyone they don't like, that used to be me too. I ended up not gigging.

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mcnach said:

edit: the definition of 'friends' is important, 'though. I don't call many people 'a friend', to me that's someone with whom I have a special connection. I suspect that others may be a bit more... accommodating in their definitions, and from their perspective I'd easily be 8-6-0-0, 7-5-0-0, etc...

That's how I look upon it.  I don't have many 'friends' - people with whom I would discuss any aspect of my life, turn to in times of need or be there if they needed someone.  I guess other people look at their Facebook account and see that they have hundreds.

• Like 2