Band relations by numbers

Mickeyboro

Just for fun...

List: the total number of people in your band 

The number you would call friends

The number who are colleagues

The number you actively dislike

My band: 4-0-2-1

Maybe there’s a coefficient of happiness hidden in there somewhere?

11 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

Just for fun...

List: the total number of people in your band 

The number you would call friends

The number who are colleagues

The number you actively dislike

My band: 4-0-2-1

Maybe there’s a coefficient of happiness hidden in there somewhere?

1-1-0-0

THE BUCK STOPS WITH ME

Edited by cjm_2019
  • Haha 3

1-1-0-0

I'd call him a little brother rather than a friend. We don't hang out much and we don't share many things aside from music, but still I have affection for my drummer.

Edited by oZZma

I guess I'm not ready for this yet, there's no category for 'band members you haven't met yet'!

I depped for a 5 piece soul band last year, got the job permanently a month ago but have not rehearsed with them yet. Plus the band changed personnel so I've yet to meet the new drummer and the added horn section! 

8-1-2-0-4

2 minutes ago, Deanol said:

Wht doesn't the first number equal the sum of the remaining numbers? Is there a missing state?

For the record, mine is 0-0-0-0

Because one of the total number of the band is yourself.

Interesting.  For me it seems always to be a very dynamic and fluid situation.

My little band 4111.  Started off 4030, moved swiftly to 4300 until about 18 months ago but we weathered a storm and came out of it slightly differently to how we entered it.

Bon Jovi band started maybe 5031 then swiftly moved to 5040 but I believe edging towards 5400.

New blues trio - early days so 3020

I'm in 6 bands at the moment. They're all mates of varying degrees. The front man from CreepJoint has been a good friend since we went to the same playschool when we were 3! 

There's one guy in one band who does grate on me because of his negativity. There's another guy from another band who grates on me because he's such a bad player! But considering I play with at least 17 other musicians on a regular basis that's good going!

depends what you mean by friends, friends as in, you've known them years, you'll have heart to hearts with and see regularly outside the band, or friends like in, see them when you happen to be at the same gig or pub,  or even worse, friends as in Facebook.

36 minutes ago, Deanol said:

Wht doesn't the first number equal the sum of the remaining numbers? Is there a missing state?

Maybe people you are neutral about or new members that you have not yet made your mind up about?

Mine is 5310. Singer is a relatively new band member, and although I like him, I wouldn't call him a friend. The drummer is a mate and also a work colleague 🙂

Edited by Conan

mine tend to go the same way over time - f'rinstance, the lot I depped with at Christmas started off at: 5:2:2:0 (depping as a favour to a couple of mates who are in the band) and ended up at 5:4:0:0 (all mates I'd go drinking with), and the band I was in before that was very similar

But the one prior to that went from 5:3:1:0 to 5:3:0:1 (and the last 1 moved from the friends column at the start) and ended up with a sacking.

So colleagues tend to move into the friends column, but once somebody ends up in the people i hate total that signals a sacking, a resignation or the end of the band

Band 1: 12-10-0-0 {one is a recent joiner, haven't got to know him yet}

Band 2: 8-7-0-0

Band 3: 5-3-0-0 {as per Band 1}

Like some of you, I could never be in a band with someone I disliked/hated. Did it once, and was glad to leave. It just makes for a poisonous atmosphere.

34 minutes ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

Is your instinct to throw them a flotation aid, or their gear?

:lol: :lol: yes, he'd have been trying to catch his piano

Edited by Rich
I'm not my own friend

29 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

depends what you mean by friends, friends as in, you've known them years, you'll have heart to hearts with and see regularly outside the band, or friends like in, see them when you happen to be at the same gig or pub,  or even worse, friends as in Facebook.

For me friends are people I will see socially for things that don't involve music.

• Like 1