Why become a member? ×

Bruce Thomas Profile

stewblack

3 hours ago, bigsmokebass said:

Great little basses I believe... I've said in another topic how I'd favour this over a Pino 😂

For me personally, I'd go without the covers but that's just me. If they don't get in the way, go for it.... Just make us a video as I'd love to see more of this bass and how it sounds and plays, as I am tempted myself by one😁👍🏻

I shall do as you ask. The bass became my go to, leapfrogging the rest with immediate effect, as soon as I played it. 

First time I gigged it I was approached by a member of the audience who raved about the sound. 

Might not be to everyone's taste of course, but if ever you're down this way gigging give me a shout I'll bring it along for you to try.

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

I shall do as you ask. The bass became my go to, leapfrogging the rest with immediate effect, as soon as I played it. 

First time I gigged it I was approached by a member of the audience who raved about the sound. 

Might not be to everyone's taste of course, but if ever you're down this way gigging give me a shout I'll bring it along for you to try.

Stew, if I ever head down that way on a little break, it would be fab to see you, hear your band and have a noodle on this beaut of a bass 😉🍻 top man! 

I'd love to age this bass though, get some nice "road warn" feel to it and have a great bass, at a great price and like yourself, my next go to instrument. I just love a precision bass. 

What sort of stuff do you play and what's your setup?

1 minute ago, bigsmokebass said:

Stew, if I ever head down that way on a little break, it would be fab to see you, hear your band and have a noodle on this beaut of a bass 😉🍻 top man! 

I'd love to age this bass though, get some nice "road warn" feel to it and have a great bass, at a great price and like yourself, my next go to instrument. I just love a precision bass. 

What sort of stuff do you play and what's your setup?

I'm playing with a few different outfits. A soul band which avoids Blues Brothers standards and veers a little into funk and disco, an originals band which plays Irish drinking music, A 70s/80s dance music function which is just starting up, and a bluesy/country collective which kind of jams stuff out once or twice a month.

I usually go through an Orange Terror 1k into 2 MarkBass 15s although I like my Trace Elliott amp too. Just switched to all valve Ampeg SVT Classic and well, blimey. Awesome sauce.

Trying to trade my cabs for something wider as the weight and width of the Ampeg make the whole thing a little unstable.

• Like 1

Every bass I've bought that has had cover fitted, I've removed them after trying to play around them for a few minutes.

Try sticking them in place with a bit of tape and see if they get in the way before drilling holes in your lovely new bass.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FinnDave said:

Every bass I've bought that has had cover fitted, I've removed them after trying to play around them for a few minutes.

Try sticking them in place with a bit of tape and see if they get in the way before drilling holes in your lovely new bass.

You read my mind. Considering sticky velcro first...

I'd just tape them on with masking tape, sticky velcro can be hard to remove. Just tape them in place and see what your right hand is trying to do to reach the strings. I think for a finger style player, they are probably more of a hindrance than for a pick player, but the inability to play in some of the most tonally varied parts of the string would be a big concern for me, as would the inability to mute at will.

2 hours ago, stewblack said:

Well, the rather splendid @Lozz196 is sending me the proper P Bass covers so I can make my decision when they arrive.

Will the PU cover get in the way? Will I ruin the elegant simplicity of the bass? Will @Mickeyboro come up with more Bruce Thomas related puns? 

Watch this space...

Bravo @Lozz196!

As for the covers, they probably will get in the way. But to me, a vintage-style Precision never quite looks fully dressed without them - covers off with just the screws showing either side of the bridge and pickup is still a comforting sight!

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mickeyboro said:

Advance warning folks... I will 95 per cent be listing mine, with much regret, within the next week. 

If you want to discuss before I get to it (I am a fully paid-up seller, btw) please pm me. 

Damn. That must have been a tough decision. Someone will be getting a great and inexpensive instrument. 

• 11 months later...

I was interviewed recently, nothing exciting or prestigious, a bit of fun for our FB page. Which is your favourite bass? I was asked. After a moments reflection The Bruce Thomas Profile, was my response. 

I was a little surprised myself - I always assumed it was my Aria. So I took it out last night, wondering what made it so special. 

What became clear over the course of the evening was that either it produces a wonderful sound, or it coaxes a special performance from me, because every time I play it someone remarks on how good the bass is. And asks me 'what bass is that?'  Which, given its superficial likeness to a P. Bass, is odd. 

But I think the main reason it's a favourite is that even when I'm consciously examining the thing, I just forget it's there. 

They say the best football referee is the one you don't notice, and this applies here too. I am unaware of weight or balance issues - there are none. I'm not thinking about how good or bad the neck is - it's perfect so I don't notice it. I focus on the audience and my fellow musicians not the playability or sound of the bass because they're exactly right. 

It's like breathing, I only notice I'm doing it when it's not working properly. I really love this bass. 

• Like 4

That’s very interesting Stew, and links in to that post which has musicians stating that their instruments are an extension of their bodies. I’ll have to check one of these out, they get such good reviews, the only other ones I’ve seen people rave about so much have been the Nate Mendels and the Matt Freemans.

• Like 1