Why become a member? ×

Bruce Thomas Profile

stewblack

Instant love at first sight when I unwrapped this beautiful bass. When I played it I knew it was the one. Would I be insane to put anything on it?

Had some chrome bits lying around...

Bruce and Flake.jpg

Edited by stewblack
Posted accidentally before finishing
  • Like 4

It does look the business with the covers on, if they don’t interfere with your playing style, go for it. These basses do look rather splendid, although I’d reduce the size of the headstock if I had one, and the history of it’s development  is really engaging. BT had another P supplied by Barry of the Bass Centre after the theft of his ‘salmon pink’ one which he apparently never liked as much. I owned this bass (a white ‘63 P) for a while and it was brilliant. If this recreation of BT’s original plays and sounds better than that ‘63 (which is the point of its creation surely) it must be something very special indeed, especially at the price point. Congrats on your purchase.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

But should I add the hardware or not? I think it looks great then I think the bass doesn't need any holes drilling in it...

Do add the covers, but not those ones - get some Precision ones.

It's a lovely bass - probably my favourite Precision finish. I just struggle with that headstock!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Do add the covers, but not those ones - get some Precision ones.

It's a lovely bass - probably my favourite Precision finish. I just struggle with that headstock!

Hmm, I thought I had bought Precision ones - must confess I know nothing about these things. How do I tell the difference?

2 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Hmm, I thought I had bought Precision ones - must confess I know nothing about these things. How do I tell the difference?

It looks like you have the Jazz set - narrow pickup cover, large bridge cover designed to conceal the bridge pickup.

The Precision set have a smaller bridge cover and larger pickup cover.

• Like 2

Just now, Cosmo Valdemar said:

It looks like you have the Jazz set - narrow pickup cover, large bridge cover designed to conceal the bridge pickup.

The Precision set have a smaller bridge cover and larger pickup cover.

I see what you mean. Darn it. Been sold the wrong ones. They said Precision but hey ho. Ah well, next time I'm in Guandong I'll take them back!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

Just ask yourself: Would Bruce do this?😁

Well, based on the fact that he didn't, then I'd have to say definitely not. However, based on him saying "Of course, you may disagree with some of my reasoning and want to tweak your bass in some way or another, which I hope you do." on his website I'd have to say he kind of gives his blessing.

• Like 3

On 31/01/2019 at 19:27, stewblack said:

Instant love at first sight when I unwrapped this beautiful bass. When I played it I knew it was the one. Would I be insane to put anything on it?

Had some chrome bits lying around...

Bruce and Flake.jpg

Jazz set ....

8 hours ago, stewblack said:

I see what you mean. Darn it. Been sold the wrong ones. They said Precision but hey ho. Ah well, next time I'm in Guandong I'll take them back!

They don’t know the difference 

even the jazz ones are too small 

Great little basses I believe... I've said in another topic how I'd favour this over a Pino 😂

For me personally, I'd go without the covers but that's just me. If they don't get in the way, go for it.... Just make us a video as I'd love to see more of this bass and how it sounds and plays, as I am tempted myself by one😁👍🏻

• Like 1