Why become a member? ×

Chowny Retrovibe Evo

ChrisLovatt

Morning peeps,

I've had my eye on a Chowny Retrovibe Evo for a while now (the standard one or the Davie504 model), has anyone ever had/played one? General thoughts on it?

I'm looking for that Stingray-esque kinda sound and the Evo seems like a good choice over an OLP or a SUB ray4.

*SUMMONED*

Hi!

2 hours ago, ChrisLovatt said:

I've had my eye on a Chowny Retrovibe Evo for a while now (the standard one or the Davie504 model), has anyone ever had/played one? General thoughts on it?

I'm looking for that Stingray-esque kinda sound and the Evo seems like a good choice over an OLP or a SUB ray4.

So. Biased opinion alert!

Our goal with these was to create a 24 fret lightweight bass that sounded exactly like a vintage stingray. The stinger pre-amp is based on the original 1977 pre-earnie balls stingray preamp (it's kind of all boost and no cut) and the choice of pickups means this bass sounds pretty damn close!

There was a video of the "Old Smoothie" Stingray on Andertons website and it was notable how close it sounded. We're pretty pleased.

We have stock of Surf Green, Cream and Black (my favourite) if you were considering one.

1 hour ago, BreadBin said:

I had a pre-Chowny Evo. It had a Jazz width nut which is why I got rid. Lightweight, needed a Stinger preamp upgrade to give it a bit more oomph. 

They still have a jazz width neck. They do however feature the Stinger pre-amp as standard. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Chownybass said:

*SUMMONED*

Hi!

So. Biased opinion alert!

Our goal with these was to create a 24 fret lightweight bass that sounded exactly like a vintage stingray. The stinger pre-amp is based on the original 1977 pre-earnie balls stingray preamp (it's kind of all boost and no cut) and the choice of pickups means this bass sounds pretty damn close!

There was a video of the "Old Smoothie" Stingray on Andertons website and it was notable how close it sounded. We're pretty pleased.

We have stock of Surf Green, Cream and Black (my favourite) if you were considering one.

They still have a jazz width neck. They do however feature the Stinger pre-amp as standard. 

Sounds great, I'd love to try one out, will have to scour the local shops, or do you have a UK base where people can try things out?

Slim jazz neck sounds fab, always prefer those necks.

16 hours ago, ChrisLovatt said:

Sounds great, I'd love to try one out, will have to scour the local shops, or do you have a UK base where people can try things out?

Slim jazz neck sounds fab, always prefer those necks.

None of the shops carry the regular EVO. I think Gear4Music has a few of the Davie504 ones.

We have our HQ in Bristol if you're passing (or close by)

4 hours ago, Chownybass said:

None of the shops carry the regular EVO. I think Gear4Music has a few of the Davie504 ones.

We have our HQ in Bristol if you're passing (or close by)

Ah okay thanks, is there any difference between the Davie504 model and the standard other than finish? 

I'm in the Midlands so I'll have to sort a day trip out 😁