Why become a member? ×

Musicians Hearing Health Scheme

krispn

It’s a great scheme, but eligibility is only for  “someone who has earned their living substantially from music for a significant proportion of their working life”.

If you’re a professional musician definitely worth a look, but sadly weekend warriors are excluded. 

• Like 1

My band all did this last year and it''s a great service. We provided evidence of being musicians and they accepted us all. I'd say we're 'semi pro' as we have other jobs but do earn money when we tour, merch and music income etc.

• 11 months later...
On ‎31‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 10:41, Jakester said:

It’s a great scheme, but eligibility is only for  “someone who has earned their living substantially from music for a significant proportion of their working life”.

If you’re a professional musician definitely worth a look, but sadly weekend warriors are excluded. 

Not necessarily...

On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 10:59, danpb said:

My band all did this last year and it''s a great service. We provided evidence of being musicians and they accepted us all. I'd say we're 'semi pro' as we have other jobs but do earn money when we tour, merch and music income etc.

This is what I did too. I have a 9-to-5 and am in no way a pro muso, but I provided youtube links and band Facebook pages which demonstrated that I am in quite busy and popular bands, and I was accepted on the strength of that. It seems to me that in reality the main criterion is how much you play, rather than how much you earn. It's 40 quid bloody well spent.

• Like 2

• Rich changed the title to Musicians Hearing Health Scheme

As Rich said...... I did the same too. I simply provided Facebook, website & Youtube links.... and I'm an MU member. Had my moulds taken early December and received my plugs just before Xmas.... excellent service!

Just remember to have your ears syringed (check with the nurse at your GP surgery to see if necessary) as they won't make moulds if there is any wax build-up...

On 31/01/2019 at 10:41, Jakester said:

I gig weekends around a normal 9-5. I had to send them 2 videos of me performing and I got approved. 

If you 'might' be eligible, I'd definitely encourage you to apply. 

• Like 2

I've been rocking my ear plugs for well over a year now. As a professional musician, the scheme and after care is literally a no-brainer. The plugs are actually made by ACS, who, of course, know a bit about hearing protection!

I'm not sure when,  but I'll be due a hearing test from them again soon.

I got my kit' via the Musicians Union - who deserve a plug themselves. If you aren't a member, then join up there too! 

I filled the form in last Tuesday, it says they will take 5 working days to get back and I haven't heard anything yet.

Now I'm a bit worried that I might have typed my email in wrong as I never got confirmation that they had recieved my form or anything. Can anyone remember whether they do send an email out saying they recieved it?

Just wondering whether to chase them up or sit tight for a bit longer.

14 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I applied, filled in the stuff, hit continue, didn't get so much as an email reply. Will wait and see

I'll hang on then, I'm in no rush really. My £15 plugs off Amazon that I've been using for about 3 years will keep serving me just fine in the meantime. 😁