Why become a member? ×

Thanks Bass Direct!! MAJOR NBD (Sadowsky content)

Bassislife16

So me and the lady took a trip to Bass Direct this morning, went with my Ibanez SR1705B-NT to part exchange, wasn’t really playing it anymore and have grown tired of the shape of I’m honest. 

I went with an open mind but had a few basses in mind that I wanted to try:

Mayones Jabba Classic Dirtyburst

Mayones Prestige 4 Classic.

Two very different basses, one being a Jazz style setup and the other with Dual coils and neck through Wenge construction.

Got into Bass Direct to have a very warm greeting and Ashley sat me down with the basses I had pointed out while he sorted my Ibanez part ex stuffs. 

Tried both acoustically, both lovely instruments but immediately trying the Jabba acoustically I had decided it just wasn’t for me. The prestige however with the neck through Wenge/Padauk & swamp ash w/ quilt maple top was just sublime. Acoustically that bass had sustain only bestowed by gods. Harmonics just jumped out of it. I tried it through a Genz amp setup and it sounded fantastic, very versatile and definitely a usable EQ, people seem to complain about the Prestige Classic not having coil split ability but it didn’t really fuss me. 

Anyway I was loving just sitting noodling to myself messing with the EQ, however my partner had also seen a Satin Blueburst NYC Sadowsky Deluxe on the website that she was bugging me to try.

I owned a MV5 for years and loved it but stupidly traded it to another BC’er who gave me a load of BS about how he missed it etc then moved it on within two weeks. 

So I asked Ashley if I could try the NYC, he took it down and left it with me to get to know, immediately I understood “that moment” that most musicians talk about, yano the moment where you find “the right one”.

I just started smiling all over and huffing because I’d fallen for something moderately expensive.

Harmonics and chords just came so fluid and it sounded crystal clear even with the EQ flat, weighed next to nothing because the body was chambered and had no sticky lacquer for me to deal with. 

Lex (my fiancé) instantly saw the look on my face and knew that I’d fallen in love with it...So the Ibanez went as part ex and Lex looked at me and said “that’s the one isn’t it, you’re getting it!”

She treated me to something I never dreamt I’d own. 

So I’m feeling a very lucky man to have someone who knows how to read me so well and supports me in my passion for music and playing bass.

I’d just like to thank Mark and Ashley (Marcus wasn’t in, but if you’re reading this, thanks Marcus!) at Bass Direct for being so welcoming and sorting me out with the basses I had in mind to try, loved chatting and talking all things bass! 

7659D22E-644C-4293-A0B3-9F326E512245.jpeg

34BC474B-2D51-4A08-8EE2-10DF2BADF22A.jpeg

556CE5E9-AB26-469E-83BB-489D9031924C.jpeg

63022DD7-0D86-4406-B1C9-3D76F6BBA0DB.jpeg

12088A93-E20C-4B8D-ABE3-39F2E3BDBF35.jpeg

B2C5175A-A9B7-4A54-BA4C-7E2887EB27C8.jpeg

A530AD6F-54CF-48DD-B923-70BA778457EB.jpeg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bassislife16 said:

No maple boards for me! Did you have this one in mind Andy?

The finish “bora blue burst” has a folder in my computer...I want a sadowsky in gloss bbb with a maple board and clear pickguard.

i came close - glad you got something special though mate, it’s beautiful and you’re a deserving owner.

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

The finish “bora blue burst” has a folder in my computer...I want a sadowsky in gloss bbb with a maple board and clear pickguard.

i came close - glad you got something special though mate, it’s beautiful and you’re a deserving owner.

Thanks dude! It’s definitely come to a good home! A clear pickguard....now that’s an idea !!

Edited by Bassislife16
Typo

I had a sort of similar experience at Bass Direct, with a slightly different outcome.

I had gone down to BD to pick up some parts for a pedalboard I was putting together. Whilst I was there, I picked up an Xotic jazz bass in natural and just noodled for a bit, then asked to plug it in I was starting to think that it was the best jazz bass I had ever played when Mark shouted across the room (it was quite busy) 'if you fancy buying it today you can have it for £2k' (a couple of hundred quid or so off). I just said that I had only come down for £70 of bits and pieces, not for a 2 grand bass.

However driving home, I started to regret not just getting my credit card out and buying it there and then. I decided that I would save up a bit of gig money and look for a secondhand one in six months time, preferably in black cherry with a maple neck. Of course, as luck would have it, exactly such a bass come up on the BC For Sale forum a couple of weeks later. It ended up costing me two nice jazz basses (a Mayones Jabba and a Nash 63 relic) and about £100 in cash. That was a few years ago and it’s been my go-to bass ever since, done maybe 200 gigs or so, and is the best bass I’ve ever owned (and I have had a few good ones in my time) …

• Like 3

1 hour ago, visog said:

Oh yeah... can't beat a J-bass done well. Enjoy! That blue top is dreamy!

** Edit: PS I bet 'the Lady' was bored shitless' **

She wasn’t actually! She plays occasionally (Rocksmith) but she’s abit of a gear head like me, likes looking at different brands and luthiers work. I’ve taught her well, lady has good taste I must say!

• Like 3

Congratulations! Love the blue top on that bass.

Getting to go to Bass Direct and trying out a load of high end basses for me would be about the best day out you could have as a bassist. 

I would love to go Bass Direct sometime, but location has prevented me from doing so. However as soon as I saw this second hand Sadowsky in second hand section a couple of years ago I was on the phone saying 'I AM BUYING THAT'

sadfront.jpg

Don't really clean it that often so it really doesn't look that shiny anymore. 

Oof  - that blue fade is to swoon for, Gorgeous. And the Mayones don't look half bad either.

I have only had one 20 min drool-worthy potter round Bass Direct but it must have the highest concentration of sublime instruments per sq ft. anywhere. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Paulhauser said:

Congrats! Bora is one of my fav Sadowsky color!

As for the clear pickguard here is my Atelier Z, I love the clear pg and "bell" 

569055_main_l_201803151915.thumb.jpg.da888695f1419088e7e8bebed87ed10f.jpg

Yes! I may look into this, I’m dreading the first “ding” but hey she’s going to be used so it’ll definitely wear with this satin finish!