Why become a member? ×

1987 G&L SB1 - Heavily Road Worn *SOLD*
£795

jay-syncro

Absolutely gorgeous G&L SB1 in genuine 'Road worn' condition. No belt sanders were used in the creation of this bass! 

In my oppinion this is the ultimate vintage P style bass, it was after all Leo's final go at perfecting the 'Precision' template. 

The neck is dated August 1987, the body Jul '87. I had the input jack replaced with a Switchcraft unit and the tone pot replaced with a vintage spec CTS, as both originals had become a little cranky. Other than that it's all original. 

It has the wonderful played-in feel of a vintage instrument that has been played for 1000s of hours, and is a real joy to use. 

The frets are in fantastic condition, the truss rod works perfectly and it's currently strung with some chunky flats. 

I'm after £795 collected from Margate, and can include a plush leather Warwick gig bag. If postage is required, I can include a hard case instead. 

Screenshot_20190129_151628.jpg

Screenshot_20190129_151406.jpg

Screenshot_20190129_151516.jpg

Screenshot_20190129_151555.jpg

Screenshot_20190129_151531.jpg

Screenshot_20190129_151611.jpg

Edited by jay-syncro
  • Like 11
  • Sad 1

It will probably be due to the neck profile.

If it’s their #6 neck (I think) it has the width like an old P bass butbis shallower and is actually very fast.

I prefer it massively to their default #12 neck which is labelled as the it PJ neck - it does what it says on the tin, falls between a P and a J and doesn’t quite work.

I have no doubt this will be the beans - this is the underrated hero of the G&L range 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

It will probably be due to the neck profile.

If it’s their #6 neck (I think) it has the width like an old P bass butbis shallower and is actually very fast.

I prefer it massively to their default #12 neck which is labelled as the it PJ neck - it does what it says on the tin, falls between a P and a J and doesn’t quite work.

I have no doubt this will be the beans - this is the underrated hero of the G&L range 

Thanks for your input, Cuzzie 👍🏻

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

But yes - that neck IMO is the good one if what you are saying is right, and also the age of the bass

Its also pre-nubbin which I don’t mind but some do

Can it be true, that I hold in my mortal hands, a nugget of purest pre-nubbin SB1!? 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, smokyflipps said:

You could check if it's listed on the g&l registry. The detail of body wood is often there.

Good idea 👍🏻 Searching for '87 SB1's I got 4 hits, one swamp ash, two maple and the fourth wasn't listed. So could be maple? Doesn't look like Ash to me.. 

I have a similar G&L, but the pickups were swapped out when I bought it.  (I put in an old set of SD QP3, and absolutely love the sound.) . I go back and forth on the neck, sort of a love / hate thing, but can't imagine ever selling it!  GLWTS.

IMG_E0001.thumb.jpg.20c5d675f5ea3593cf61667c73247929.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Membo said:

I have a similar G&L, but the pickups were swapped out when I bought it.  (I put in an old set of SD QP3, and absolutely love the sound.) . I go back and forth on the neck, sort of a love / hate thing, but can't imagine ever selling it!  GLWTS.

IMG_E0001.thumb.jpg.20c5d675f5ea3593cf61667c73247929.jpg

Have you tried contacting G&L regarding a replacement set of stock pickups? They really are a bit special.