Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Questions

stewblack

10 hours ago, stewblack said:

I therefore don't say never complain, you might learn something. But endless repetition of well worn complaints achieves nothing except to increase the negativity in the world and we already have more than enough.

The world doesn’t work like that though. Complaints drive change, particularly if it’s a common complaint.

If nobody ever complained, improvement and innovation would stagnate. So again, I have to politely disagree with you.

Im not sure why you appear to have so much butt hurt here, the forum is rife with complaints about Rickenbacker, Ashdown, Ampeg - I’ve even seen a fair few complaints about Shuker (another homegrown) - but it’s how they are dealt with that makes all the difference.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, stewblack said:

Apparently so.

Well let's say there's twenty manufacturers, obviously there's far more, "most" would require more than half of them to have peeling Tolex issues, so that's eleven even if we're playing it down to only twenty brands, I can think of only two, Barefaced and the early versions of Ampeg after they moved the assembly to another country. 

I would have thought customer feedback is important to any company that takes quality control seriously. That includes negative.

Similarly, when people are contemplating shelling out a decent wodge of cash they want to know what they are buying. If that was not the case Tripadvisor wouldn't exist. People want to know the business they're dealing with.

In my own case, I had a Boogie cab that rattled for some reason. My complaint was handled by getting me to return the cab for the replacement of the faulty speaker (with no quibble at all). On opening up the cab, it was discovered that there were about 4 staples that had dropped onto the magnet and they were touching the cone as it moved. They were removed and all was well. Mesa Boogie let me keep the speaker they had sent over and so I have a spare speaker for a Subway 15. That's exemplary customer service from a big company that could have ignored me and not really suffered much by way of consequence.

That sort of experience can demonstrate to others that their business is valued and can reassure them if they are considering forking out for a cab that is not cheap. For the same reason, it is helpful (for some) to know which companies don't provide that level of service and they can make their choices accordingly.

Edited by Steve Browning
  • Like 2

On 01/02/2019 at 12:22, stewblack said:

Good stuff, glad to see a problem being resolved - well done @alexclaber and @Huge Hands. It would be nice if others didn't feel the need for negative sniping, never achieves anything good. The world needs more love not people competing to see who can be most outraged or sarcastic. Only my opinion of course, I respect everyone else's right to live how they want to.

It's not negative sniping when it's factually correct. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Shh now. Don't let common sense prevail over the viewpoint of a biased owner.

I'm actually an owner myself. A very happy owner of 2 of those Two10 cabs. Fortunately mine didn't seem to suffer from tolex issues (or feet, but one handle did vibrate a bit for a while 😛). 

I just don't like blanket defending a company (or attacking it ;) ) as a matter of principle. 

7 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I'm actually an owner myself. A very happy owner of 2 of those Two10 cabs. Fortunately mine didn't seem to suffer from tolex issues (or feet, but one handle did vibrate a bit for a while 😛). 

I just don't like blanket defending a company (or attacking it ;) ) as a matter of principle. 

I know that you're an owner - it's good to see some level headedness around these parts for a change though.

Just out of curiosity, how did the handle rattle problem get resolved...?

Edited by EBS_freak

19 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

I know that you're an owner - it's good to see some level headedness around these parts for a change though.

Just out of curiosity, how did the handle rattle problem get resolved...? Or did the problem vanish when it fell off? Sorry, cheap shot :o

That's really appalling behaviour. Cheap shot indeed!!! 🙂 🙂

Edited by Steve Browning

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

Just out of curiosity, how did the handle rattle problem get resolved...?

It was just the metal cover that didn't fit too tightly. The handle was attached alright. I lifted the cap, put a little bit of felt in there, and put the cap back on. No rattling anymore.

I had a similar style handle, only the plastic version rather than the metal one fitted on BF cabs, nearly fail on my old MarkBass CMD121P combo. I hadn't noticed anything unusual, but the rubber grip had frayed with use within a year (I used it a lot), and bought a replacement. When I removed the plastic cover I saw that the metal blade inside the handle was sawing away at the plastic post where the screw goes through. It was almost broken off. The thought of seeing my amp tumbling down a staircase made me very nervous and I installed an all metal handle. Ever since I'm a little cautious about handles. Fortunately, in this case, it was just the metal cover rattling. 

28 minutes ago, mcnach said:

It was just the metal cover that didn't fit too tightly. The handle was attached alright. I lifted the cap, put a little bit of felt in there, and put the cap back on. No rattling anymore.

I had a similar style handle, only the plastic version rather than the metal one fitted on BF cabs, nearly fail on my old MarkBass CMD121P combo. I hadn't noticed anything unusual, but the rubber grip had frayed with use within a year (I used it a lot), and bought a replacement. When I removed the plastic cover I saw that the metal blade inside the handle was sawing away at the plastic post where the screw goes through. It was almost broken off. The thought of seeing my amp tumbling down a staircase made me very nervous and I installed an all metal handle. Ever since I'm a little cautious about handles. Fortunately, in this case, it was just the metal cover rattling. 

I experienced a similar thing many years ago when the handle on an AC30 broke and the metal inner handle came out like a sword from a scabbard. I remember thinking that I had had a lucky escape. If I'd tried to grab it .................

Edited by Steve Browning

• 5 months later...
On 06/02/2019 at 14:26, mcnach said:

Well... I hadn't noticed anything in February, but must have been starting, because look at this

IMG_20190622_152006039.jpg?dl=1

IMG_20190622_152015111.jpg?dl=1

The other one seems to be going the same way although it looks better. The seam was never as 'seamless' as I would have liked but it never felt like it was coming apart... until recently. The cabs are always indoors, with their covers, moderate temperature never close to heaters etc. They're transported, used, and brought back. 

Not exactly pleased. Really like the sound, shape, weight and everything. But I'm really not pleased about this. I bought mine after they were supposed to have sorted their glue issues. Clearly not so.

I got one in September/October 2016 and another in May 2017. The one that is in better condition is s/n 103, so I expect that's the 2016 one. The one in worse condition is 149 in the pictures above, presumably the 2017 one. 

I know they offered to reglue or send you glue etc to fix it but... come on.

I expect that they have learnt how to do it since, now that they regularly offer vinyl cover cabs for their guitar range etc... but I'd be a little nervous.

Edited by mcnach
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, bumnote said:

Thats exactky what my Fender 4x10 cab was like.

After how many years?

My early 80s Marshall guitar combo has not exactly been treated nicely, and the covering is firmly attached as ever...

As I understand it, they’ve recently changed their tolex AND glue again to combat these issues even better than before, so it’s worth popping an email to them to have a chat. (I know this because my pair of One10s have different tolex so I queried why!). The peeling shouldn’t be happening to anything that hasn’t been abused or is less than at least 10 years old IMO.

8 minutes ago, Merton said:

As I understand it, they’ve recently changed their tolex AND glue again to combat these issues even better than before, so it’s worth popping an email to them to have a chat. (I know this because my pair of One10s have different tolex so I queried why!). The peeling shouldn’t be happening to anything that hasn’t been abused or is less than at least 10 years old IMO.

I hope they REALLY sorted it this time. They said they had before... 

I'm not sure there's much point talking to them. I am nowhere near them so the notion of popping round and having them reglue the seams  is a no goer. I use the cabs regularly and I don't want to be posting them etc.

They could offer to send me glue, as I think they have done to others. Frankly, I can buy my own glue. 

They sound good and have had people commenting on that a few times... so I will continue to use them, but I'm considering removing the logos as a protest :D

(yeah I know, but let me have my tantrum for a minute ;) )

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 01/02/2019 at 11:03, alexclaber said:

We have this sorted now. Bring them down whenever you want, as long as it's during the working week.

Revisiting a very old post I have the same issue with a One10 and a Two10. Totally understand that sometimes the best design intentions don't go quite so well in production. Assuming the solution is not totally stripping the Tolex and starting again have you found a new glue that works for the repairs? If so can you share the brand and spec please. Im a long way from Brighton and happy to sort it with a bit of guidance. In all other aspects the cabs are awesome if even convicted my guitar player to make the switch ! 

• 1 month later...

I've had a couple of gigs when my bass rig was on a riser behind me so I laid the BT2 cab on it's side and put my rack in the centre. Thankfully I had earplugs in and most of my bass sound through the PA. So i didn't need it up loud.