Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Questions

stewblack

13 minutes ago, Conan said:

Interesting discussion about tolex and customer service, but isn't all this somewhat hijacking the thread? :sad:

Basschat rule 142: No thread about Barefaced shall be allowed to go more than 1 page without mention of Tolex peeling. Anyone found participating in said thread will be sent a Wishbass, a stacked 4x10" and 1x15" rig and a 'Jaco only needed 4 strings' sticker that must all be used at their next gig.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jack said:

Basschat rule 142: No thread about Barefaced shall be allowed to go more than 1 page without mention of Tolex peeling. Anyone found participating in said thread will be sent a Wishbass, a stacked 4x10" and 1x15" rig and a 'Jaco only needed 4 strings' sticker that must all be used at their next gig.

You forgot to mention the handles... :ph34r:

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

As the OP I'm amused with the hijack - not bothered at all. It's the way of this forum, things evolve. In any case I have had the answer I required so let the BF wars commence...

Sorry, I wasn't trying to hijack or start a war.  I have bitten my lip so many times when I see BF bashing threads on here out of respect for his fan base but I am sick to death of "can we wait til after..." replies from the official BF email address, so I assume this workshop guy is aware too.  I have been really poorly and housebound over the last couple of years so have not managed to prioritise chasing it myself but I've never had even an inkling of a date from BF so it's not like I caused the problem by postponing dates to bring them in myself.

Anyway, today I just felt the need to rant as I've recently got back into playing and rehearsed with one on Monday night.  It looked a lot more poor than I last remember, so must have flicked my switches a bit......  

I'll shut up now - as you were....

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Huge Hands said:

Sorry, I wasn't trying to hijack or start a war.  I have bitten my lip so many times when I see BF bashing threads on here out of respect for his fan base but I am sick to death of "can we wait til after..." replies from the official BF email address, so I assume this workshop guy is aware too.  I have been really poorly and housebound over the last couple of years so have not managed to prioritise chasing it myself but I've never had even an inkling of a date from BF so it's not like I caused the problem by postponing dates to bring them in myself.

Anyway, today I just felt the need to rant as I've recently got back into playing and rehearsed with one on Monday night.  It looked a lot more poor than I last remember, so must have flicked my switches a bit......  

I'll shut up now - as you were....

Honestly no need to apologise, my comment was tongue in cheek.

On 31/01/2019 at 09:28, Huge Hands said:

I bought Retro 210 cabs serial number 9 and 10 and experienced the peeling Tolex issue to the point where they now both look like cheap, worn, poorly made Chinese toys.  On BC, last time I mentioned it, he openly suggested giving them back to him so he could strip and recover them, but ever since he has just fobbed me off saying they are too busy and can we wait til after the next rush.  This has been going on for over 3 years.  I only live 30 miles up the road, so I can take them there whenever he wants.

We have this sorted now. Bring them down whenever you want, as long as it's during the working week.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, alexclaber said:

We have this sorted now. Bring them down whenever you want, as long as it's during the working week.

Well, thanks @alexclaber, you're on.  Shame I had to go as far as ranting on here to get a response to this saga.  

I'll try and get a day sorted next week and bring them down to you.  

28 minutes ago, Huge Hands said:

Well, thanks @alexclaber, you're on.  Shame I had to go as far as ranting on here to get a response to this saga.  

I'll try and get a day sorted next week and bring them down to you.  

The ranting wasn't why. If you'd done this six months ago I'd have told you to keep waiting. But if you'd emailed this week you'd have had this response. Last week I'd have probably said give us a few more weeks. Things change, manufacturing isn't easy!

• Confused 2

Good stuff, glad to see a problem being resolved - well done @alexclaber and @Huge Hands. It would be nice if others didn't feel the need for negative sniping, never achieves anything good. The world needs more love not people competing to see who can be most outraged or sarcastic. Only my opinion of course, I respect everyone else's right to live how they want to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stewblack said:

Good stuff, glad to see a problem being resolved - well done @alexclaber and @Huge Hands. It would be nice if others didn't feel the need for negative sniping, never achieves anything good. The world needs more love not people competing to see who can be most outraged or sarcastic. Only my opinion of course, I respect everyone else's right to live how they want to.

I don't believe that at all.

I'm sure the sniping helped - because I'm sure Alex's posting was more about damage limitation and publicly being seen to do the right thing... when clearly the customer's issues were not high enough up his order of importance when the customer was going through the "proper" channels... So well done for Alex to finally addressing the issues - although I do question his choice of words in response. If I was the customer, I would be livid with the response as all it tells me is that I'm well, well, well down in the pecking order despite having paid top money for a cab.

Why should BF be immune to criticism on this board? If any cab from <insert manufacturer here> was having peeling tolex issues, I would more than expect a similar posting complaining about it. I'm all for supporting British and all that - but only if the product is up to the competition, especially when other manufacturers don't seem to have the problems that Barefaced have. Additionally, I don't think I've ever experienced that sort of response as witnessed above when I have had issue to talk to manufacturers.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 2

I think when brands are publicly shredded on these forums the least someone should do is caveat it with is IMHO.  Whether it's the usual naughty list of brands like Rickenbacker, Gibson, Fender (sometimes) that get a slaughtering it is an opinion - and we all have em!

I have had quite a few cabs in my time and using BF since 2017 and I think they live up to similar-priced brands.  IMHO. On the other forum they have a sound fanbase and it is a credit to the brand - and there are not too many other British-owned brands we can celebrate across the pond.

• Like 1

I have owned my BF Super Twin, serial number 001, from new, it has been frequently gigged and still looks like new. Never had any issue requiring me to use their customer services, but remember them very quick to respond during the wait for mine to be built back in 2013.

I also have a more recent Super Compact, but I am not using these days, so it's for sale.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sarlscharisma said:

I think when brands are publicly shredded on these forums the least someone should do is caveat it with is IMHO.  Whether it's the usual naughty list of brands like Rickenbacker, Gibson, Fender (sometimes) that get a slaughtering it is an opinion - and we all have em!

I have had quite a few cabs in my time and using BF since 2017 and I think they live up to similar-priced brands.  IMHO. On the other forum they have a sound fanbase and it is a credit to the brand - and there are not too many other British-owned brands we can celebrate across the pond.

Ah man. If it is a matter of opinion, sure. Like, if someone says they "don't like the sound, IMO, YMMV, etc, etc...", I agree. 

But, peeling tolex or handles or feet or whatever, not really up for debate, is it? As well as they may be built, with all the bracing and scientific stuff, those basics have to be right or you've surely failed? 

Dunno about you, but I'd be livid if I was then told repeatedly "not now, we're too busy". 

Edited by M@23
  • Like 1

I’d be as frustrated absolutely.  But I was trying to put things into perspective.  It seems well known that there was some design flaws earlier in the product development that maybe they are over now.  They are are one of the rare Brit offerings in cabs that are respected home and abroad so I just don’t think the are that bad.  Players like Messrs Wobble, Watt, Commerford are happy to take them out on the road.

But, publicly airing customer service disputes is a risky business and risks brand damage.  Maybe there a more suitable ways to handle this kind of situation.  Anyway like I said earlier my personal experience has been very good.  But perhaps  it is time to review the customer service business model and take it to the next level to do their excellent product - imho 🙂 - justice.

• Like 2

The problem is we have spent may hours and hours discussing this issue and while I agree it is unsatisfactory, it is clearly not indicative of the quality of Barefaced in general. It seems to me that there has been more noise about this than the awful problems Ampeg had with the PF500. That affected hundreds, maybe thousands worldwide. The solution is easy, Barefaced sort this problem and then let it rest.

• Like 1

I aired a grievance about an amp, and what I perceived to be a pain in the ar$e situation vis a vis getting it repaired. As a result I learned that the situation is not peculiar to the particular manufacturer involved but common to most modern amps. Once I'd learned this I shut up about it as no good could come of me moaning.

I therefore don't say never complain, you might learn something. But endless repetition of well worn complaints achieves nothing except to increase the negativity in the world and we already have more than enough.

Moaning because someone else has a problem is beyond pointless. You aren't even affected by it so why on earth are you taking the trouble to sit and type a negative comment on a public forum? It's like when someone posts 'I want to do X instead of Y does anyone have any advice on the best way of going about it' and the next thing you know people are queuing up to say 'I wouldn't bother, just stick with Y'. I mean, what is the point?

• Like 1