Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Questions

stewblack

25 minutes ago, doomed said:

Louder maybe, a little less top end possibly, if I remember rightly the compact had the kappalite 15 which had more mids and top end, whereas my Dubster has the kappalite 15lf which had not much top at all and acceptable mids, plus enormous amounts where it matters. I can't remember anyone complaining about much when running  2 15" compacts.

Thanks mate. Now to wait patiently for someone after the right trade!

54 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Now that we've established I have no need to worry about the weight, how about my second question? What difference if any would I notice if I added another 15" compact in place of my 10" cab? 

5 hours ago, Paul S said:

I routinely sit on my Supercompact during tedious rehearsal bits.  I weigh 100kg +/- and a lot of that weight is going to be on the cab.  I wouldn't hesitate to stick a 25/30kg head on top.

The voice would change quite dramatically if you changed the 110 for a second Compact, you would lose the punchiness and upper definition.  My Barefaced 'journey' (!) started with a Compact.  I added a Midget a shortish while later and when used together that changed the sound quite a bit - added the tightness that the Compact alone missed. 

If you like the sound of the 15/10, the Supercompact sounds exactly like Compact plus Midget, btw.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Now that we've established I have no need to worry about the weight, how about my second question? What difference if any would I notice if I added another 15" compact in place of my 10" cab? 

You may prefer it.  There are plenty of experts on here (and much more qualified than me) that will warn you off mixing driver sizes (such as your current 15" and 10" setup) due to cone filtering effects etc. I know I used to have a 2x10+1x15 setup and loved the cabs on their own but always struggled when using them together.  Each to their own and all that, you won't know what is right for you until you try it.....

3 minutes ago, Huge Hands said:

You may prefer it.  There are plenty of experts on here (and much more qualified than me) that will warn you off mixing driver sizes (such as your current 15" and 10" setup) due to cone filtering effects etc. I know I used to have a 2x10+1x15 setup and loved the cabs on their own but always struggled when using them together.  Each to their own and all that, you won't know what is right for you until you try it.....

That's interesting because @Happy Jack who sold me the cabs said something about them being designed to be used together. I'm hazy on the details but I think that's right. Maybe the man himself might see this and fill us in...

There was a time when Alex Claber still talked to me, and one of the things he told me was that this particular pair of cabs was just that - a pair. Every individual cab is, of course, a compromise which inevitably means that there will be something "missing"; this pair of cabs is designed to be complementary, i.e. each fills in the "missing" part of the other.

Now there are some on this Forum (and you know who you are) who will tell you that this is weapons-grade marketing cow poop from someone whose claims they don't trust, and I get that, but Alex didn't tell me this and then I went away and thought, "Wow! These sound really good together."

It's the other way around. I went to Alex and said, "Wow! These sound really good together." and he then explained why.

Making a totally uneducated guess at the problem encountered by Huge Hands, I would be suspecting the use of a 2x10. Not because of cone filtering, about which I know nothing, but because of comb filtering, about which I have read extensively (and slightly glassy-eyed) here on Basschat.

Stacking a 1x12 on top of a 1x15 should not lead to comb filtering, as I understand it. Or don't understand it, as the case may be.

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

The voice would change quite dramatically if you changed the 110 for a second Compact, you would lose the punchiness and upper definition.  My Barefaced 'journey' (!) started with a Compact.  I added a Midget a shortish while later and when used together that changed the sound quite a bit - added the tightness that the Compact alone missed. 

Sorry Paul, thank you for your answer.

14 minutes ago, barkin said:

Small but important point...The OP's smaller cab isn't a 110. It's a pre gen3 (1x12) Midget - a quite different beast.

There's some info re: the Compact/Midget pairing at https://barefacedbass.com/product-range/midget.htm

You just beat me to it. :)

@stewblack. The G1/2 Compact and Midget are excellent together.  That was my rig for several years when they first came on the market.  Wouldn't your amp fit perfectly and securely on the Midget sitting sideways on the (Upright) Compact?

I never had any problems with stability although a Thunderfunk amp was the heaviest I ever used.

Frank.

EDIT: Looking back at your pics I think there might be some amp overhang.  I hate amp overhang myself but I could live with a tiny bit.

Edited by machinehead
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

That's a real shame - I only heard of BF thanks to this place. I often wonder why people derive so much pleasure from negativity.

There’s are many that derive pleasure from having exotic brands that cannot except the some great products are made locally. 

The technically savvy on here,l think that Alex sometimes confuses engineering/science with marketing. Not unusual in this industry but if you put something in the public domain, you have  to be able to back it up. 

In Alex’s  defence there are others on here the other place that are far worse in that Barefaced cabs compare favourably with just about anything on the market. There are also some excellent technical articles on the Barefaced website that are very good reference documents. 

• Like 1

Oh my - I really am showing myself up aren't I?  So sorry I've been writing 10 and not 12 all through - thank you @barkin how you spotted that when I've always missed it I'll never know. I suppose it's such a crazy small cab I just assumed it was a 1 X 10 and never measured it.

13 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

He doesn't seem to want to talk to anyone on here. 

Maybe it's because his customer service is non-existent.

I bought Retro 210 cabs serial number 9 and 10 and experienced the peeling Tolex issue to the point where they now both look like cheap, worn, poorly made Chinese toys.  On BC, last time I mentioned it, he openly suggested giving them back to him so he could strip and recover them, but ever since he has just fobbed me off saying they are too busy and can we wait til after the next rush.  This has been going on for over 3 years.  I only live 30 miles up the road, so I can take them there whenever he wants.

I have never said anything on here before as I remember him on here as a budding university graduate full of ideas, and that was one of the reasons I went with him to try and support BC talent.  However, I handed over a lot of my hard-earned for these, and now they look crap and worthless, not the premium product I thought I was getting.  I got the impression he had tried recovering someone else's cabs and realised it was too difficult so was avoiding it, but if he'd been upfront and offered to look at them, I would have been happy to discuss options to get them looking slightly better such as trimming back the edges and painting, finishing strips or...., er....., whatever else there might be.

In summary, he's amazing when talking theory and selling you a cab, but not so great with keeping you onside if you have a genuine concern with his product. 

It's such a shame, because I love the tone of the cabs, they just look toytown.

...and before you say anything, the Tolex peeled off both of them way before I ever stood on one.... 

P.S @Happy Jack - yes, I did mean comb filtering.  I remember Bill Fitzmaurice talking about it at length which is why I mentioned it.  I think it was along the lines of where with a PA speaker, you're putting bandwidth filtered audio through various sized drivers to use each driver for a frequency range.  With a bass cab setup, you're running the same full range through each, so you don't get the same optimisation.  I seem to remember him saying that just because you have one small driver cab, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll get more punch or top end or whatever.  Anyway, I'm probably trampling all over his theory, so I won't keep digging a hole!   

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

If you've got a problem that has been going on for that long, call the factory talk to Harry and arrange to take them in.

I'm not a Barefaced hater, in fact I've owned 5 of their cabs very happily. With that said, I wouldn't be calling Harry I'd be calling small claims court. They're not cheap cabinets, and that story (assuming it's true!) is a very clear case of not getting what someone has paid for.

17 minutes ago, Jack said:

I'm not a Barefaced hater, in fact I've owned 5 of their cabs very happily. With that said, I wouldn't be calling Harry I'd be calling small claims court.

Small Claims Court? Really!!

The SCC isn't going to be very interested unless every effort has been made to resolve the problem first.

That means, call Harry.

8 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Small Claims Court? Really!!

The SCC isn't going to be very interested unless every effort has been made to resolve the problem first.

That means, call Harry.

It's been 3 years and he hasn't got a resolution from the company, despite him apparently offering several times, he also has the feeling that he's being fobbed off, that should count as every effort. If nothing else I'm sure simply beginning the process would help Barefaced find the motivation to resolve the problem.

Again, no malice on my part, very much a BF fanboi....

Edited by Jack

In defence of BF I have nothing but a positive experience of their customer service.  What other company’s owner give you time and responds to questions within a few days.  None I can think of.  I find the products I have to be very good quality albeit they don’t get a hammering on the gig circuit.

It sounds like there is a design issue with the Tolex which is a bit alarming to us owners, it would good good to understand that a bit more