Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Questions

stewblack

I have recently switched to ultra heavy valve ampage. Might sound silly but how much weight can uber light BF cabs support?

Also I can't bear the overhang and have come up with a number of solutions some ingenious some downright bonkers.

There is a very simple solution which would be to trade my BF 1 X 10 for another old school compact, then I could stack the two compacts lying longways. But again my weight worry arises. Also I love the sound through my 15 / 10 stack and wonder how much it would alter if I switched to 2 X 15s.

Any thoughts? 

15488486501583574264004826445935.jpg

I have seen a rather chunky local bass player stand on his for pretty much an entire song at a recent event. The cab took it no problem but no way would I risk that with mine. But with that in mind I wouldn’t imagine the amp would pose any risk at all.

I routinely sit on my Supercompact during tedious rehearsal bits.  I weigh 100kg +/- and a lot of that weight is going to be on the cab.  I wouldn't hesitate to stick a 25/30kg head on top.

The voice would change quite dramatically if you changed the 110 for a second Compact, you would lose the punchiness and upper definition.  My Barefaced 'journey' (!) started with a Compact.  I added a Midget a shortish while later and when used together that changed the sound quite a bit - added the tightness that the Compact alone missed. 

If you like the sound of the 15/10, the Supercompact sounds exactly like Compact plus Midget, btw.

This very question delayed me buying a BF cab. I had a notion that my Bass 400 would just fall right through the cab. IN actual fact the cab held ther weight without a problem. The fact that the centre of gravity was not quite high up did rather trouble me. I did feel a bit nervous with my amp oin the top of two cabs that would fall over when the van went round a corner!!

1 hour ago, T-Bay said:

I have seen a rather chunky local bass player stand on his for pretty much an entire song at a recent event. The cab took it no problem but no way would I risk that with mine. But with that in mind I wouldn’t imagine the amp would pose any risk at all.

Thank you

36 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

This very question delayed me buying a BF cab. I had a notion that my Bass 400 would just fall right through the cab. IN actual fact the cab held ther weight without a problem. The fact that the centre of gravity was not quite high up did rather trouble me. I did feel a bit nervous with my amp oin the top of two cabs that would fall over when the van went round a corner!!

Glad I'm not alone in worrying about this!

Have a trawl through the classifieds for an old Barefaced Vintage. A 2x15 cab that is a one handed lift (for me anyway) and is wide enough to  sit a "proper" amp on top. I used to have one and it sounded great, but was just too big for the stairs in the practice room we were using at the time... I'd have another like a shot, but there are not that many around and people tend to hang on to them as they are so good...

8 minutes ago, barkin said:

The things people find to fret about...

I only raise it as a concern because I can't afford to replace the Ampeg if it collapses the cabs.

I certainly don't find things not do I fret. It is a concern and it's been addressed by others and so now it doesn't concern me.

2 minutes ago, Conan said:

Have a trawl through the classifieds for an old Barefaced Vintage. A 2x15 cab that is a one handed lift (for me anyway) and is wide enough to  sit a "proper" amp on top. I used to have one and it sounded great, but was just too big for the stairs in the practice room we were using at the time... I'd have another like a shot, but there are not that many around and people tend to hang on to them as they are so good...

Thank you

5 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Thank you

Not at all! Good luck in sourcing one if you decide to go down that path. Essentially, the Vintage was two of the original Compacts in one box. Unbelievably light for the sound they produce - and strongly built as well! :sun_bespectacled:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, barkin said:

The things people find to fret about...

It was a real issue. A very heavy amp on top of two very light cabs that would fall under their own steam. The cabs were very shallow and so it wouldn't have taken much to topple the whole lot over.

Obviously you don't set out to do that but things happen and I prefer to try and account for the unexpected if I can.

I was using two of the 15" version Compacts.

Edited by Steve Browning
  • Like 1

If it helps, and I shouldn't really admit this - I am a little over 20st and I stood on one of my Retro 210s at Christmas to take down our outdoor Christmas lights as I didn't have a ladder and it was next to the front door.  It didn't even groan.  As a smaller box, I would imagine the 110 will be even stronger?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, chris_b said:

BF cabs are as strong as any vintage cab. Light weight doesn't mean flimsy.

I've packed my Super Compacts at the bottom of the van with PA and Fender Twin Reverb with JBL's on top and they were fine. . . . as I expected them to be.

You're right. No complaints over the strength of them at all. They're not flimsy but a heavy amp on top of a lightweight rig has a higher centre of gravity than on top of an old school 'heavy' rig. 

• Like 1

Louder maybe, a little less top end possibly, if I remember rightly the compact had the kappalite 15 which had more mids and top end, whereas my Dubster has the kappalite 15lf which had not much top at all and acceptable mids, plus enormous amounts where it matters. I can't remember anyone complaining about much when running  2 15" compacts.

Edited by doomed
  • Like 1