Why become a member? ×

Relative values - the Gilmour auction

tauzero

3 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

He is giving the money to charity, as he did when he sold a house in London a few years ago. He is a man to be admired.

He is indeed.

He's also my favourite guitarist, my favourite male singer, and was part of the band who created my all-time favourite album, Wish You Were Here, which completely changed my life. So you can imagine my surprise when I saw him walking towards me at Euston station in October last year. I had a mouthful of veg burrito at the time, so didn't get chance to say anything, which was probably a good thing in some ways. As he got near to me he obviously noticed recognition dawning on my face, turned his head away and walked swiftly past me. A shame though as I would have liked to have simply said "thanks".  

• Like 2

I don't know why but I've never listened to a Pink Floyd album. Come to think of it, the only two songs I have heard by them is 'Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2' and 'Comfortably Numb' which has one of the greatest guitar solos ever recorded IMO. I still don't know why I have ignored them? 😕

11 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Oh, and I would expect the Black Strat, in spite of - or maybe because of - all the work done on it to fetch absolute shedloads.

Weird isn't it.

Without the famous name owner that instrument would be significantly devalued because it is no longer in completely original condition.

1 minute ago, BigRedX said:

Weird isn't it.

Without the famous name owner that instrument would be significantly devalued because it is no longer in completely original condition.

Absolutely. But of course the fact that it has been played on many of what a large number of people would consider Greatest Ever Guitar Moments makes all the difference. It does make you wonder how much it would be going for if Fred Bloggs down the road had played it though....  

17 minutes ago, The59Sound said:

I don't know why but I've never listened to a Pink Floyd album. Come to think of it, the only two songs I have heard by them is 'Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2' and 'Comfortably Numb' which has one of the greatest guitar solos ever recorded IMO. I still don't know why I have ignored them? 😕

Strange one that, you say that in your opinion, the solo in Comfortably Numb is one of the greatest guitar solos ever recorded, did you not like the song enough to seek out some of their other material?

If ever I hear something I like by an artist I'm not familiar with, I have to go on YouTube and look at what else I can find. 🤔

There is so much history behind the Strats 

The black Strat was obviously his main guitar for the classic albums, and was used for the Pink Floyd reunion set at Live 8. 

The White Strat obviously has historical interest due to the 0001 serial number. Plus he used it on the Strat Pack anniversary concert at Wembley Arena. 

The Red Strat was his main guitar during the Division Bell era, plus it was the guitar he used when he played at Live Aid in 1985.

Edited by kevin_lindsay

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

He is indeed.

He's also my favourite guitarist, my favourite male singer, and was part of the band who created my all-time favourite album, Wish You Were Here, which completely changed my life. So you can imagine my surprise when I saw him walking towards me at Euston station in October last year. I had a mouthful of veg burrito at the time, so didn't get chance to say anything, which was probably a good thing in some ways. As he got near to me he obviously noticed recognition dawning on my face, turned his head away and walked swiftly past me. A shame though as I would have liked to have simply said "thanks".  

He is quite shy with people he doesn't know (certainly was when we first met) and so I wouldn't think any the less of him for it.

I've probably told this on here before but it's the coolest guitar story I know. When we were recording Pretty Things album, DG loaned Richard Taylor a lovely Gibson J200. The story went that Gibson had made 90 for their top players and dealers. For some reason DG didn't get one and so Phil Taylor (his tech) made contact with Gibson, who made a 91st. That's when you know you've arrived!!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

He is quite shy with people he doesn't know (certainly was when we first met) and so I wouldn't think any the less of him for it.

I've probably told this on here before but it's the coolest guitar story I know. When we were recording Pretty Things album, DG loaned Richard Taylor a lovely Gibson J200. The story went that Gibson had made 90 for their top players and dealers. For some reason DG didn't get one and so Phil Taylor (his tech) made contact with Gibson, who made a 91st. That's when you know you've arrived!!

Which Pretty Things album was this?

27 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

Christies guideline below for the J-200 is probably their biggest underestimate then? J-200's with no provenance can go for that I think!

Gilmour’s early musical influences included the Everly Brothers and Bob Dylan, and reflecting this the collection also offers several acoustic guitars. Examples include a 1969 D-35 Martin purchased on the streets of New York in 1971, and used as both Pink Floyd and David Gilmour’s main studio acoustic, notably on Wish You Were Here (estimate $10,000-20,000); a Gibson J-200 Celebrity (1985) acquired from John Illsley of Dire Straits (estimate $3,500-5,500); and a unique Tony Zemaitis (1978) custom acoustic bass guitar (estimate $15,000-25,000).

28 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Which Pretty Things album was this?

Rage Before Beauty, although my parts were redone by Wally I believe. I did the recording with DG (and have my version of it). He's rather more recognisable than I am!

The story about the J200 was what I was told at the time. He also loaned a Steinberg with a transposing trem (that he played on the track).

7 hours ago, Deanol said:

Is there a point to DG's clear-out? Clapton auctioned much of his gear off to raise funds for his Crossroads Charity in Antigua. Is DG supporting a charity with his auction, or has his Mrs told him to clear out the spare bedroom of "all that rubbish you never play", much like my mrs did recently (I just moved it all into a different room - Hah!).

Someone already stated above that it all goes to charity.

I reckon the black strat and no: 1 will go for way more than the estimate. I can hear Joe Bonamasa raiding his piggy bank right now!

It is a very noble thing he is doing especially as the guitars must mean a lot to him. And the fact that they were used to play some of the most iconic music ever made just ups the ante.

I was hooked on PF the moment i heard See Emily Play on the radio, when i was on holiday with my parents.

I then achieved  the dream of seeing them live at Knebworth as a teeenager. It was the gig with the spitfires that the band had hired

Happy days

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, kevin_lindsay said:

There is so much history behind the Strats 

The black Strat was obviously his main guitar for the classic albums, and was used for the Pink Floyd reunion set at Live 8. 

The White Strat obviously has historical interest due to the 0001 serial number. Plus he used it on the Strat Pack anniversary concert at Wembley Arena. 

The Red Strat was his main guitar during the Division Bell era, plus it was the guitar he used when he played at Live Aid in 1985.

He was on BBC Breakfast this morning talking about it, and the Strat he was going to use for Live Aid didn't work so his guitar tech passed him the red one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

Oh I don't. I'm enough of a fan to have a good idea of what he's like, even though I'd never actually met him, and I think his remaining relatively shy and humble is quite something. I meant more that it was a shame that I didn't get to say thanks, more due to the veg burrito! Although it's fair to say it probably saved me from myself. 😉

On 30/01/2019 at 14:01, Steve Browning said:

Last night at rehearsal i mentioned that these wee all coming up for sale and the drummer reckons that when Guy Pratt first went to audition for Pink Floyd, Dave Gilmour was noodling on the black Strat. Guy, waning to break the ice a bit said "Is that an old one?" to which Dave Gilmour replied " Well they don't get any older, old boy". I'd like to think it happened.

Edited by phil.c60

On 30/01/2019 at 13:07, BigRedX said:

Weird isn't it.

Thats the odd thing about instrument buyers, it seems to me. They would pay more for an original instrument than for one that has been modified to play and sound better. If its going in a vault or a glass case to simply be looked at then ok, but I still don't get it. Gilmour is selling them, as he says, because they are guitars and they need to be played.

31 minutes ago, mikel said:

Thats the odd thing about instrument buyers, it seems to me. They would pay more for an original instrument than for one that has been modified to play and sound better. If its going in a vault or a glass case to simply be looked at then ok, but I still don't get it. .

Maybe it's a matter of trust, people doubt the job was made properly and stuff like that

My main bass has been modified by the previous owner (he added a bridge split coil, mod I would have made myself if I had bought the bass without it), it sounds like a beast and I paid a very small price for it. Great deal 😁