Why become a member? ×

Relative values - the Gilmour auction

tauzero

Dave Gilmour is flogging 120 guitars. For those of us with partners and a pluraility of basses, this is a chance to say "imagine how many he's still got if he's flogging 120". For all of us, it's a chance to say "HFM?" or "why are those estimates the same?".

The latter question is what entered my head when I started reading https://www.guitarworld.com/news/david-gilmour-to-auction-more-than-120-guitars-through-christies - the first item in the article is his black 1969 Strat, used on numerous albums for 15 years, and Live 8,  and certainly significant, estimate $100k-$150k). But the second item has the same estimate, and is not only the 1954 Strat used on "Another Brick in the Wall (Parts 2 & 3)" and on stage, it's also Strat #1. You'd think the first ever Strat would get some extra value from that fact. And "a rare Gretsch White Penguin" ("incredibly rare" according to Christies, and indeed there's only 12 on Ebay) gets the same valuation - surely not as rare as the first ever Strat.

More from Christies at https://www.christies.com/features/David-Gilmour-legendary-Black-Strat-comes-to-auction-9637-3.aspx

The guidelines are always way off when it comes to celebrity instrument auctions. The black Strat should sell for a crazy amount. 

David Gilmour is a rare breed of rock star in that he doesn't crave wealth or adulation. This auction is to raise funds for charitable concerns. He did something similar in the early 90s when he sold his Knightsbridge home to raise money for Shelter (he briefly discussed that in his 2003 appearance on Desert Island Discs) 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00937ls

• Like 1

I wonder if this is his way of telling us that he’s finished with music? Or maybe he’ll just buy a Harley Benton, keep going and still sound like Gilmour! 

Anyway to me, those two Strats are among the most famous guitars in the world, the black one in particular is a proper piece of rock history. I imagine they will go for crazy money, probably never to played again.

2 hours ago, Chiliwailer said:

Unfortunately Strat #1 isn’t the first Strat, I suppose it was a NAMM Special? :)

I understand Strat #0001 was built in 1954, probably as a gift. It was bought by David's tech (Phil Taylor) and David acquired it from Phil in exchange for a mortgage on a house.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

I understand Strat #0001 was built in 1954, probably as a gift. It was bought by David's tech (Phil Taylor) and David acquired it from Phil in exchange for a mortgage on a house.

It was previously owned by Seymour Duncan, he sold it to Phil Taylor.

Corrected.

Edited by steantval

There were 10 years between the last tour and the one before that, so I guess the big world tours might be over.

There are enough Corporate types with fat wallets and special guitar investments/collections out there to double any numbers we might think of.

Just now, chris_b said:

There were 10 years between the last tour and the one before that, so I guess the big world tours might be over.

There are enough Corporate types with fat wallets and special guitar investments/collections out there to double any numbers we might think of.

I went to Christies for the Clapton guitar auction, and the guide prices were mostly a long way out as you might expect. This one will no doubt go the same way.

• Like 1

Is there a point to DG's clear-out? Clapton auctioned much of his gear off to raise funds for his Crossroads Charity in Antigua. Is DG supporting a charity with his auction, or has his Mrs told him to clear out the spare bedroom of "all that rubbish you never play", much like my mrs did recently (I just moved it all into a different room - Hah!).

He's a bona fide legend and good egg. That house sale was well over a million wasn't it? And this lot will probably clear that much if the collectors get competitive. I imagine he'll still have a few dozen to play at home. Listening to my Dad's copy of Dark Side of the Moon on vinyl was the reason I asked for, and got, a guitar on my 18th Birthday.

19 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

He is giving the money to charity, as he did when he sold a house in London a few years ago. He is a man to be admired.

Fair one (although I would have sympathy if it was his Mrs giving him grief about the state of the back bedroom!).

Yeah, the price on his red Strat is a bit on the high side. I'll give him a few hundred quid for it, ya know, save him one less guitar to get rid of..

* I love that particular Strat. It is in my list of favourite guitars evaaaaaar.

20 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

He's a bona fide legend and good egg. That house sale was well over a million wasn't it? And this lot will probably clear that much if the collectors get competitive. I imagine he'll still have a few dozen to play at home. Listening to my Dad's copy of Dark Side of the Moon on vinyl was the reason I asked for, and got, a guitar on my 18th Birthday.

I would imagine just one of the Strats will realise £1m alone?

1 minute ago, wateroftyne said:

DG is just completely awesome.

It's great that both him & Roger are getting knee-deep in trying to make a difference (whether you agree with some of the causes or not). 

+1 to that. Some may say "well it's easy when you're a squillionaire", but Roger certainly brings an awful lot of heat upon himself for things that he believes in when he could just be sat enjoying his twilight years in the sunshine somewhere. Good on them both. 

1 minute ago, Deedee said:

+1 to that. Some may say "well it's easy when you're a squillionaire", but Roger certainly brings an awful lot of heat upon himself for things that he believes in when he could just be sat enjoying his twilight years in the sunshine somewhere. Good on them both. 

Yeah - that attitude winds me up. People get annoyed at other people for making 'too much money', then cynical when they give it away. Make your mind up!

30 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

Yeah - that attitude winds me up. People get annoyed at other people for making 'too much money', then cynical when they give it away. Make your mind up!

Some people just don't like wealthy people. Whatever a wealthy person does will be wrong, just because of their wealth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

I read that also, in guitarist mag many years ago