Why become a member? ×

Cheap OC-2 Alternatives

kevind35okc

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a cheap OC-2 copy.  Caveat: it's got to be housed in a Boss size enclosure (or bigger) because I want to mod it. Valeton would fit my needs perfectly, but it's too small.

I own a Chord OC-50 which I actually prefer to my original OC-2 , but I'm afraid to have this one modified because something could go wrong and I don't have a spare. 

I know this pedal was also produced under the name Glen Burton OC-80, but I can't find any of those either.

Are there any other alternatives? I know Markbass used to do a OC-2 copy, but again these are not being produced anymore and hard to find.

Thanks

Edited by kevind35okc

Guest subaudio

I hear good things about the MXR Vintage Octave (from Juan Aldrete on his YouTube channel Pedals and Effects) he says "it nails that OC2 sound, don't get a clone, get this"

I don't have personal experience of it but its on my buy list after Juan's endorsement.

Ah, sorry, missed the Boss size bit.

Edited by subaudio

• 11 months later...
On 30/01/2019 at 12:26, The59Sound said:

Valeton OC-10!

^^ this! 

Very very realistic sounding clone at a great price (review with sound clips posted in the pedal reviews section). 

Nothing else gets close for the money.

It was too small for the OP. But for most folks that will be a plus rather than a negative. 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

^^ this! 

Very very realistic sounding clone at a great price (review with sound clips posted in the pedal reviews section). 

Nothing else gets even close for the money.

Brilliant, Thank you Al.

I'm after something quite synthetic sounding rather (hence my OC2/3 interest) to contrast with the EHX pitchfork I use already.

2 minutes ago, Woodwind said:

Brilliant, Thank you Al.

I'm after something quite synthetic sounding rather (hence my OC2/3 interest) to contrast with the EHX pitchfork I use already.

There are a couple in the FS right now, and best price new on eBay is £40 posted:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Valeton-LOFT-SERIES-Analog-Octave-Factory-Direct-Quality-Control-OC-10/123891475608?hash=item1cd881e498:g:gT4AAOSwGF9dW1bf

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, Dudgeman said:

Isn't the Behringer super octaver supposed to be a direct clone of the OC2...doesnt get much cheaper than that...check out JHS on youtube...josh did a whole vid on Behringer pedals and their  ...ahem....'tribute' to Boss pedals...

The Behringer Super Octave is an OC-3 clone.

The Valeton OC-10 is an almost exact copy of the OC-2, I'd go for that if you want OC-2 tones

• Like 2

Ey up.

I just got one of these a few days ago. It glitches all below the 5th fret, except on the G string where its everywhere below the 9th. The less clean I have dialled in, the more it glitches though there is still some glitching going on with clean rolled all the way on. I bought it mostly to use with the clean rolled off however.

It's my first octave pedal so i'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature?

35 minutes ago, FarFromTheTrees said:

Ey up.

I just got one of these a few days ago. It glitches all below the 5th fret, except on the G string where its everywhere below the 9th. The less clean I have dialled in, the more it glitches though there is still some glitching going on with clean rolled all the way on. I bought it mostly to use with the clean rolled off however.

It's my first octave pedal so i'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature?

This is classic OC-2 behaviour. Play your lines between the 7th and 14th frets and try and stick to the E, A and D strings, it’ll track just fine. I own far too many Octavers, including an OC-10 and several OC-2’s.

Edited by NoirBass
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NoirBass said:

This is classic OC-2 behaviour. Play your lines between the 7th and 14th frets and try and stick to the E, A and D strings, it’ll track just fine. I own far too many Octavers, including an OC-10 and several OC-2’s.

That's interesting. Must admit I thought it tracked really well when I posted this review a while back (including some sound clips). But perhaps that was 'cos I was playing relatively slowly and 'carefully', which is not what we're doing on a typical bass line!

@Dood had one too for a while and maybe worth getting his thoughts on this pedal also to see if he's got any additional other insights to add to yours.

Why not just get an oc2?   How much do they cost these days?

I've got one in a drawer (cost £30 in 1988).  I never use it as it tracks low notes badly and makes midrange notes sound muddy even when it tracks.  Works ok if you play an octave up. Works better if you feed it sounds from the neck pickup with a bit of filter applied.

I'll sell it if there is a demand.

8 hours ago, Al Krow said:

That's interesting. Must admit I thought it tracked really well when I posted this review a while back (including some sound clips). But perhaps that was 'cos I was playing relatively slowly and 'carefully', which is not what we're doing on a typical bass line!

@Dood had one too for a while and maybe worth getting his thoughts on this pedal also to see if he's got any additional other insights to add to yours.

I agree, you can often get away with expanding the range I mention, but that all depends on your technique. Any poor muting or mis-fretting will result in lots of glitching. The OC-2 is a classic monophonic octave divider, it works by dividing the frequency of the note you play. If you offer it anything other than a nice pure note, it’ll not track correctly.

16 minutes ago, NickA said:

Why not just get an oc2?   How much do they cost these days?

I've got one in a drawer (cost £30 in 1988).  I never use it as it tracks low notes badly and makes midrange notes sound muddy even when it tracks.  Works ok if you play an octave up. Works better if you feed it sounds from the neck pickup with a bit of filter applied.

I'll sell it if there is a demand.

I’ll give you £35 for it 😄

The prices of OC-2’s have gone through the roof in the past few years. £120 - £150 at the moment. More for an original ‘Octaver’ early OC-2.

One for a Wasa reissue I hope 🤞

Edited by NoirBass

Here’s a bit more useful info including history and settings. I actually quite like using the clean signal blend with mine, but then I don’t really play much ‘electronic’ music with it.

Edited by NoirBass

I got the valeton new on eBay for £27 delivered.  It was list for 30ish and there was an ebay 10% off day.  It must have been a seller special too as the price has gone up to £40.

I preferred it over the TC nether, as it sounded more like the OC2 on demos and the TC pedal is massive!

13 hours ago, NoirBass said:

Ok cool, good to know I dont have to send for a replacement then! Cheers :)

2 hours ago, NoirBass said:

I agree, you can often get away with expanding the range I mention, but that all depends on your technique. Any poor muting or mis-fretting will result in lots of glitching. The OC-2 is a classic monophonic octave divider, it works by dividing the frequency of the note you play. If you offer it anything other than a nice pure note, it’ll not track correctly.

Also good to know!

• Like 1