Why become a member? ×

Things you've left behind at a gig

Guest MoJo

A friend of mine is Robben Ford's guitar tech and he recounts an incident when Robben was playing at a theatre in New York (his home town) and my friend was driving him there. Robben wanted to pop into his apartment to pick something up. He had put his luggage on top so his gear didn't need to be disturbed.

He dropped him off and arranged to pick him up after having unloaded at the venue. He drove there and began to unload. He had been due to have some help but there was no-one there to assist so he decided to unload onto the pavement and rush everything into the venue.

As he finished unloading he realised Robben's guitar wasn't in the back and figured (with alarm) that it must have been taken out of the car and left on the pavement by the apartment building. He immediately dashed into the car and set off for the building, only to remember that the Dumble amp was sitting on the pavement at the venue. Quite an interesting dilemma.

As it happens nothing was missing, luckily!!

And if anyone knows Robben. I'm making that up!!

Edited by Steve Browning

16 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

I left behind my desire to continue with a band once, after having a massive row with the guitarist outside the venue after the gig. Oops.

Ha ha  something similar for me back in the nineties.

Guitarist and me had a bust up on stage and I did the  "it's me or him " strop afterwards....

They chose me.

Interestingly a couple of years later I answered an ad for a bass player needed and it was him. He told me to audition anyway as it would be a band decision and he thought that I would be a good fit ( very decent of him I thought).

I went ,full of trepidation and got the gig!

we did a lot of function band stuff on the military basses here and in Germany but after a year or so his "gutarishness ( 😉 )" re -surfaced and every one fell out with him again...we just replaced him and his singer girlfriend and carried on😎

I have left my bass propped up against a wall a few times. always got it back, though once it was an anxious overnight wait until a guy who followed the band  rang to say he had it...he'd found it on his way  out of the venue!

• Like 2

I've just realised that all of my kettle leads have been left in a padded bag at my last gig. Called the venue but the errant bag is nowhere to be seen! 

I've now found that no one local seems to sell IEC "kettle" leads!! Just had to order a bundle from an Ebay seller. 

5 hours ago, kevin_lindsay said:

I've just realised that all of my kettle leads have been left in a padded bag at my last gig. Called the venue but the errant bag is nowhere to be seen! 

I've actually just found my padded bag of leads and cables here at home!! 

Were they beside the rest of my gear in my storage cupboard? Nope! Were they beside my guitar bits and pieces? Nope! 

So, where were they? I found the bag on the top of my kitchen fridge / freezer! I've still no recollection of putting anything up there!!??? 

A black Aria SB100 at a pub gig in Barnstaple a few years back. Luckily I wasn’t the last band member to leave and the guitarist (who was) on doing a sweep of the place spotted it so stuck it in his car. Messaged me on the way home to let me know!

I nearly left my light controller behind tonight. The "minions" were helping with the carry out. Very helpful of them, but it's always in completely the wrong order for packing the car. Some new lights made the load different and I've still not settled on the new method yet. Anyway I'd already locked the car up when one of them came trotting out with a box under his arm. Close call!

On 30/01/2019 at 23:21, Jus Lukin said:

Which leads to the obligatory joke every time-

"Has anyone done an idiot check?"

"Yep, were all here!"

I went through a phase of leaving electronic tuners on stage. I'd tune up then shoe them under the edge of the monitor so they wouldn't rattle off the amp or get trampled underfoot as I leapt around showing off, as I was wont to do. Of course they were never to be seen again by myself, though I'm sure many a free tuner has been passed to lucky souls around the country.

Use some sticky Velcro and stick them to your monitor

I left my old girlfriend at a gig once.

Not my gig though. She was horrible, and her taste in music was dreadful. She took me to a "One Night Only" gig (more like "One Hit Only"). That'd be enough to put anyone off. 

Other than that, I think I've only left about 71 million plectrums at various gigs. I'm too skint to forget stuff! 

Slightly off topic, but when I was in a very trying relationship with a female that I should have run from instead of inviting her to live with me, I was an hour from home(and her) on my way to a rehearsal and in a very distressed frame of mind when I realized I had left my bass and music at home.I went back and had to deal with a hassle from her and finally got to rehearsal.The band members were very understanding and asked no questions but did I ever feel dumb.She is gone but my sanity certainly took a beating for the years that she was in my life and house.

...haven't forgotten anything lately...😊