Why become a member? ×

Things you've left behind at a gig

Guest MoJo

In my haste to swap basses on Saturday night, I removed the Neotech strap from my P-bass, placed it on a table to my left and transferred the strap from my BB425 (with wireless transmitter attached) onto the P-bass. Sunday morning I notice that I'm a guitar strap missing......Nooooooooo! I've contacted the venue, hoping someone hasn't spotted it and taken it home and am anxiously waiting for a call back. 

What have you left behind / lost at a gig?

3 minutes ago, rOB said:

My dignity.

Along with any hope of salvation...

Seriously though, bloody magpies...  may they be infested by the fleas of 1000 camels... of course, in some states of America, it's an offence to pick up and keep something that appears to be lost. I saw it on TV.

• Like 1

Back in the 80s, I was lucky enough to have my own roadie. One night he was kind enough to leave my Wal behind at a venue... 

Thankfully they kept it under lock and key for me, and Sim bought me about a million pints as part of his efforts to apologise sufficiently :lol: Suffice it to say, from then on my rig etc went in the van but my bass was always with me in the car.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

Back in the 80s, I was lucky enough to have my own roadie. One night he was kind enough to leave my Wal behind at a venue... 

Thankfully they kept it under lock and key for me, and Sim bought me about a million pints as part of his efforts to apologise sufficiently :lol: Suffice it to say, from then on my rig etc went in the van but my bass was always with me in the car.

There's a great story in Adge  Cutler's biography about how, when he was Acker Bilk's road manager, he went to the bank to get the bands wages for the week and then left it in the pub.

• Haha 1

I think I've been fairly lucky in not loosing too many things at gigs. A few leads at multi-band shows and a hat that someone swiped at a show in Ullapool.

However, we did turn up for one gig, and as we were rearranging the staging discovered 3 sex toys that had been left behind from the night before!  😱

2 minutes ago, TheRev said:

There's a great story in Adge  Cutler's biography about how, when he was Acker Bilk's road manager, he went to the bank to get the bands wages for the week and then left it in the pub.

Good old AJ. He's buried about half a mile from where I'm sitting right now.

A stuffed owl, left behind at The Barton Arms in Birmingham.  The landlady kept it on the bar and I collected it the next day as I was lucky enough to be back in the city for a meeting.  She bollocked me for scaring the cleaner....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Years ago I was the stereotypical bass player with spares for my spares. I had a huge holdall absolutely stuffed with spare cables, strings, straps etc and I left it in the car park of a social club we had played at that night.

I went back an hour later when I realised that I had left it and luckily enough it was still there right in the middle of the car park.

Every night since then I look at the contents of my boot and do a stock take to make sure that everything is there before I close it and drive home.

Conversely I lifted what I thought was the keyboard player's laptop from a gig in Aberdeen (about 2.5 hours drive from home) and put it carefully in the van. Turns out it belonged to the event organiser for the hotel but extremely luckily we were there the following weekend so returned it and had a few embarrassed laughs

The PSU for my Roland R-8 drum machine Human Rhythm Composer, in a venue that doesn't open every day. So I had to wait until it was next open (manager wouldn't make a special trip for me. He lived a 10 minute walk from the place). Fortunately it was exactly where a bandmate left it, behind the black backdrop...

I managed to walk away and leave my backup bass in its bag leaning against the side of the stage. The stage was the low kind that becomes an extension of the dance floor at the end of the night, so I wasn’t too hopeful for its safety and security, but it was still stood there when I rushed back into town for it. People even seemed to be giving it some space to avoid knocking it over! The Sheffield rock and metal crowd is generally a good-natured lot 🙂

It’s just mains cables after that - I seem to leave a trail of them. I think it’s because my gear is easy to set up and pack away, but first-on-first-off means the mains flex always seems to snake its way to the back wall under a load of bags and half-disassembled drum and guitar bits, so I leave it with the intention to grab it at the end.. and many times just forget! Fortunately I work in IT so I have boxes of the damn things.

In my first proper band (when I was a guitarist) our bass player left his 7O's Precision in a rough working men's club in Wakefield one Saturday night.  I went back for it next day fearing the worst and fortunately it was still there. Same guy left the same bass on the pavement outside his house when I dropped him off after another gig in winter. Next morning it was still there, covered in frost. Bass was okay, thanks to a good case. He did like a drink as I remember....

• Haha 1

I left my bass behind on a gig once! The drummer put a few things in front of it, so it couldn't be seen, and during the chat I lost track of it. Fortunately the rest of the band were still loading up when I left and the guitarist took it home for me! Caused a great deal of mirth!!

Our 2nd guitarist and drummer used to meet up and travel to gigs together. At the end of the evening they'd move the guitarists gear into his car and go their separate ways. One night they managed to leave a keyboard leaning up against a fence. The guitarist went back early next morning but it had gone.  About a week later he got an email from the guy who had found it. He'd tracked him down through a name on the cover. What a great guy.

• Like 2