Why become a member? ×

Short scale GAS

RobF

I'm a beginner, bedroom player, with a Squier VM jazz, a Fender  Kingman acoustic and an Epiphone EB0. 

Im finding playing the EBO soooo much more fun and I've a hankering to stick to shortscale with a Bill Wyman from the Bass Centre.

it will prob mean losing the Kingman ( too many guitars in the house according to she who must be obeyed.) 

tell me if I'm being stupid please. 

If it works for you then why not? I bought a short scale Gretsch Junior Jet 2 when I got back into playing bass a few months ago. Great little bass. Absolutely superb sounding, and an absolute dream to play,  but after a few months I found myself drifting back towards full scale and now I hardly play the Gretsch, which is a shame because I actually really love the little thing. I don't really know what my point is, except if you have the option, I would still keep a full scale in the arsenal, just in case. 

Owned and played many short scales in my time, really enjoyed the Gibson SG basses but always found what came practical for me in bands and comfort was a long scale (built like a brick stinky poo house!) But the shorties were really fun to play. Fender Mustangs are a good one to go to, too. Some fun designs and colours 😊 

There are some 'travel' or Ukulele acoustic basses as well, anything from Taylor, Ibanez, Kala and other brands, worth checking out if you enjoyed the acoustic. 

• 1 month later...

I'm a relatively recent convert to short scale and I've decided to make the move permanent - it's the most natural size bass for me.

Have to add that I find the short scales are fun comments a little misleading (unintentional I'm sure) as it could imply that short scales are novelty or toy basses. All basses can be fun and short scales can be just as bad donkey groove machines as their longer scaled brethren.

• Like 1

I recently bought a Squier VM Jaguar Special SS and I like it. It's my training/travel/spare bass.

I'm more confortable with long scales but short ones are nice to play with so I'm considering upgrading its pickups, it worth it.

20 hours ago, burno70 said:

I'm a relatively recent convert to short scale and I've decided to make the move permanent - it's the most natural size bass for me.

Have to add that I find the short scales are fun comments a little misleading (unintentional I'm sure) as it could imply that short scales are novelty or toy basses. All basses can be fun and short scales can be just as bad donkey groove machines as their longer scaled brethren.

True. I only used the term fun as I find them easier to play, lighter and lacking nothing in tone. Sold my two long scale basses. Quids in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikel said:

True. I only used the term fun as I find them easier to play, lighter and lacking nothing in tone. Sold my two long scale basses. Quids in.

Yeah, I really didn't mean to single anyone out. It's just that on pretty much every short scale thread you get the 'fun' comments.

I think we both come to the same conclusion - I've sold one of my long scales too - one more to go. And have ordered a short scale bass build. Can't wait. But that's another story.

On 29/01/2019 at 19:56, RobF said:

tell me if I'm being stupid please. 

No.

Having fewer than 20 stringed instruments in the house is stupid 🙂

Seriously, I got a Squier Jaguar a few weeks back. I've played virtually every day since, sometimes for a couple of hours at a stretch. It's not my best sounding bass, but it's wonderful to play.

My brother has recently got a Ukelele bass which is tiny and it's brilliant. I've ordered a neck and I'm going to make a 'rad' piezo in the bridge on, just for fun.

If you really want short scale... how about this crappy 13.5" scale micro-bass I knocked up in the 1980s 🙂

800237271_microbass.thumb.JPG.b6cd49db24ff3e66ef326c3e8e3a3dd9.JPG

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, burno70 said:

Yeah, I really didn't mean to single anyone out. It's just that on pretty much every short scale thread you get the 'fun' comments.

I think we both come to the same conclusion - I've sold one of my long scales too - one more to go. And have ordered a short scale bass build. Can't wait. But that's another story.

'Fun', 'Small hands', 'Guitarists', 'Beginners' are the main over used descriptions for short scales ...

34 minutes ago, Adee said:

'Fun', 'Small hands', 'Guitarists', 'Beginners' are the main over used descriptions for short scales ...

I often get 'baby' bass if I use one at a jam night (but never at a gig for some reason).  Strangely enough nobody ever refers to my Musicman basses or Rick as 'Adult' basses?

I've been using an Eastwood Map for the last year and get lots of questions about whether I'm running sub-octaves or anything in the background. Astoundingly deep and subby when you set it right but also very sensitive to playing position. I'd like to go to 32" scale just to get a bit more twang but in fairness between the single cut body and the two big mudbuckers it's not really a twangy design so I'm not sure how much difference it would make...

Found a sapphire burst ( longscale) in a local pre loved shop yesterday. Lovely finish, so I've avoided the 2 months wait and ordered a new discounted CHB 1 shortscale in sapphire burst today. 

The wife will be pleased lol

IMG_3732.JPG

After many, many years playing mainly Jazz Bass, I’ve recently acquired a Fender JMJ Mustang SS Bass and I’m blown away by it. 

I guess many people would say the same for a P Bass, but it sits really well in the band mix on both studio recordings and live gigs. Super impressed with it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RobF said:

Found a sapphire burst ( longscale) in a local pre loved shop yesterday. Lovely finish, so I've avoided the 2 months wait and ordered a new discounted CHB 1 shortscale in sapphire burst today. 

IMG_3732.JPG

That is pretty 🙂

2 hours ago, RobF said:

IMG_3732.JPG

Is that a floating or fixed bridge?