Why become a member? ×

Thinking about changing the pickups in my Sei Jazz 5.

bubinga5

As the title says. It sounds wonderful, plays great. East pre, and Barts, Don't get me wrong I love Bartolini's, but they are sounding a little polite and dark for what I want now. Passive the bass has quite a woody soft tone set flat, which is strange because it has the woods that make up a Fender Jazz bass in passive. Swamp Ash Body, Brazilian rosewood FB, maple neck. So I can only assume its down to the pickups.These are15  year old Barts btw.  The strings are DR High Beams, so I can take the strings out of the equation. Also the sustain is not so good. 

They have to be single coil. I prefer the single coil tone from hum canceler pups and I dont record the bass anymore so the hum doesn't bother me. Ive been looking at the Lindy Fralin 5 string set or Aguilar's 5J 70's pickups. The bass in question. 

Any thoughts.?

fullsizeoutput_2ca.jpeg

Edited by bubinga5

I was having the same thoughts regarding pickups with my fender jazz which had high beams on ,and i thought they had plenty of life left,

however i had some new cheap warwick nickel reds to try out which i did and all the snap and sparkle came back !

might be worth trying new strings before splashing out.

Having had Barts in a few basses, the only one I’ve really liked them in, with hindsight, was a Pedulla. They’re far too dark and polite for my tastes, typically. 

If I were you I’d have a word with Martin Petersen. Obviously he’s made loads of basses like yours and including yours, with doubtless many, many different pickup and preamp combinations. 

Also, have you thought of trying passive?

BTW, yours is a beautiful bass, one of the nicest super-Jazzes I’ve ever seen.

Edited by 4000

• 3 months later...

Eventually I found the Bartolini B Axis pickups. Very hot pickups.They are a hum cancelling pickup but quite aggressive.  A different pickup altogether to the original Bart sound.. I recommend them.  Still sounds like a modern Jazz Bass, but not polite. Labella Stainless steel strings are a different string for me.   Sustain has improved soo much. HipShot USA lolly pop tuners were a perfect fit.. 

54436835_777085132674313_8642181099629314048_n.jpg

54799022_777088672673959_1817066741562343424_n.jpg

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 4