Why become a member? ×

Looking new preamp system for bass (3 band)

liffordmark

I would LOVE to have an active blend and get rid out of those pick up load issues (i.e. sound changes) with passive pots. I have found noll that makes an active mixpot and I think that East has active inputs (please correct me if I'm wrong). Quite many bartolini sets have passive pots and only the tone control is active.

Most of the manufacturers rely purely on active tone control. I see this point of view as a "half active system": the volume and mixing of the pick ups is passive. Qualitywise this solution is somewhat cheapo. Active EMGs are active by nature, so mixing them can be done with passive pots without significant load and sound issues. Active is an option there, too.

1) passive pick up - passive volume and mix - passive tone (like a Jazz)

2) passive pick up - passive volume and mix - active tone (any "active" bass like Ibanez)

3) passive pick up - active volume and mix - active tone (like retrofit East preamp on a Jazz)

4) active pick up - active or passive volume and mix - active or passive tone (EMG + East)

EMG do an active blend control (http://www.emgpickups.com/accessories/bass-accessories/summing/abc.html) that might  of interest. I do like EMG pickups and preamps though I know not everyone doesn't!

Audere also do some nice preamps https://www.audereaudio.com/

There's also someone on the forum selling a Delano Sonar 3 band preamp with active/passive switch.

Cheers

• Like 1