Jump to content
Left leaderboard
Wiggybass

Tech21 GED-2112 - question

Recommended Posts

Hi all

Does anyone have one of these and if so are they using it with the approved rear patching hack that allows a combined signal to appear at one output?

The very helpful folks at Tech21 told me...

If you’d like a “quick” method for mixing the channels, you can run a short cable from the Deep section’s 1/4” Output, set for 0dB (button pushed in) to the Effect Return with the 50/50 mix engaged (button pushed in).  Then run from the Drive section’s 1/4” Output to your amp, and/or the Drive XLR Out to the PA.

Start with both Level controls at 12:00.  The Drive Level will now serve as a “master volume”, and the Deep Level will allow you to “blend in” the clean signal.

...but I'd really like to hear from someone who's used it like this before I raid the piggybank.

Many thanks!

Wiggy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Wiggybass said:

Hi all

Does anyone have one of these and if so are they using it with the approved rear patching hack that allows a combined signal to appear at one output?

The very helpful folks at Tech21 told me...

If you’d like a “quick” method for mixing the channels, you can run a short cable from the Deep section’s 1/4” Output, set for 0dB (button pushed in) to the Effect Return with the 50/50 mix engaged (button pushed in).  Then run from the Drive section’s 1/4” Output to your amp, and/or the Drive XLR Out to the PA.

Start with both Level controls at 12:00.  The Drive Level will now serve as a “master volume”, and the Deep Level will allow you to “blend in” the clean signal.

...but I'd really like to hear from someone who's used it like this before I raid the piggybank.

Many thanks!

Wiggy

 

@NancyJohnson I'm sure you've done this, is that right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Daz39 said:

@NancyJohnson I'm sure you've done this, is that right?

Yep, it works fine from the blend perspective, yes.  Still a little flummoxed as to why there wasn't simply a button on the facia to achieve this; yes, I know it's Geddy's design etc. but not all of us are running stereo set ups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's great, thanks very much! I'm trying to de-pedal my rig and get everything into a rack, otherwise I could just take the outputs into a Boss LS-2 and mix them there but it's just more stuff to carry around, more wires, more outboard PSUs etc.

Before it shipped I'm certain I read somewhere that production models would have a switch to route both preamps to a single output but I guess they just never got round to it. As you say, not many of us run stereo systems and to be honest I know that when playing live GL's bass takes up five channels on the mixing console, so there's a lot more going on there than just the two outputs from his SansAmp anyway.

So all the other controls still work as they're supposed to? The saturation control still works on the Deep side and the respective controls for the Drive side do what's advertised?

Thanks again, really appreciate your help on this 👍

W

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a new pedal version coming out, the Ged YYZ, which should make things much easier

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My two-pennorth.

I got one of these a few weeks back. Firstly I racked it up and tried it through a good 2-channel power amp and and two Aguilar 12” cabs. I don’t use backline unless a dep  job comes in, it’s usually IEMs and direct to the console, but I was interested to hear it through an amp setup. I then set up my usual gigging configuration with IEMs and tried it like that. In both situations it absolutely blew me away. I’ve now gigged it a few times - It’s hands down the best preamp I’ve used. Our sound guy said it sounds huge. I use Stingrays and it seasons the sound without changing it; I just get more warmth, more dynamic, more sustain...just great.

I plugged up my ‘70s Jazz, brought up the drive control and it was instant ‘Moving Pictures’, a sound I’ve been after all my life. I’d recommend the GED 2112 to anyone - it’s not just a ‘Geddy Lee’ sound machine, it’s a great versatile preamp.

I use the two-channel setup because it’s no real hardship for me, but if that’s a problem there’s an internal jumper that you can move which sends both channels down both outputs. It’s not a hack, just an option. Not sure why it’s not in the user guide.

i hope that’s of some use to you guys.

Ade

 

 

Edited by Adethefade
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope they add the 'tight' button from the pedal to the rack version. It's too bloated/fuzzy otherwise if you have a hot bassy bass like my 1025X. An adjustable HPF knob for the drive channel instead of the switch would be even better @Tech21NYC!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool! I like the tight switch but sometimes feel it's too extreme and I have to compensate by boosting bass and backing off the blend.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Snap from NAMM

F7847606-AB0F-41D4-8424-3E15E10EC766.thumb.png.db30ab1dd8ff9cdd247ac87b1516160b.png

Honestly don't understand why Tech21 didn't bring out the Ged2112 in this sized unit to start out with!  Two or three years of reinventing.

Anyhoo, just buy a dUg, folks.  It'll do pretty much everything a GED will do and a load more.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

While he has decent chops, Tim Starace kind of represents everything I absolutely detest about these guys who are, in the nicest possible way, just playing someone else's lines.

That smugness on his face, the look that shouts either look-at-me-I-am-so-in-the-groove-it-hurts or did-someone-just-fart?-oh-that-was-me-and-doesn't-it-smell-awesome?  Sigh.  

I would sooner see Geddy (although understandably he's dealing with the loss of the new guy at the moment) or at least see ol' Timmy doing his own lines rather than gurning his way through whatever he's playing.

Anyhow.  Go buy a dUg.  It'll do everything here and more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

@NancyJohnson I reckon you may be the only person as wedded to dUg as I am

If you want versatility of the unit, go to Spotify and dial up Lutz/Nowherebound.  It's a combination of me going through a BDDI and the dUg.  There's a stripped back version of the album coming next week which is insanely good and the bass is even more up front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

If you want versatility of the unit, go to Spotify and dial up Lutz/Nowherebound.  It's a combination of me going through a BDDI and the dUg.  There's a stripped back version of the album coming next week which is insanely good and the bass is even more up front.

I’ll check it out, I know just how good the dUg is, only thing better than 1 dUg is 2 or more

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Cuzzie dug the dUg pedal so much he runs it into the dUg amp for double the dUgness!

Do you have the amp set for a relatively mild/flat setting when doing that? I would have thought that boosting into something bright and clangy with something bright and clangy would have sounded well bright and clangy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/01/2020 at 13:44, NancyJohnson said:

While he has decent chops, Tim Starace kind of represents everything I absolutely detest about these guys who are, in the nicest possible way, just playing someone else's lines.

That smugness on his face, the look that shouts either look-at-me-I-am-so-in-the-groove-it-hurts or did-someone-just-fart?-oh-that-was-me-and-doesn't-it-smell-awesome?  Sigh.  

I would sooner see Geddy (although understandably he's dealing with the loss of the new guy at the moment) or at least see ol' Timmy doing his own lines rather than gurning his way through whatever he's playing.

Anyhow.  Go buy a dUg.  It'll do everything here and more.

Tim doesn't just do covers though, here's one of their originals:

I do find the gurns rather off-putting though, although I play like that too when nobody's watching! 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

@Cuzzie dug the dUg pedal so much he runs it into the dUg amp for double the dUgness!

Do you have the amp set for a relatively mild/flat setting when doing that? I would have thought that boosting into something bright and clangy with something bright and clangy would have sounded well bright and clangy.

I do love it!!

Key is I can go double mix, clean on pedal mix on amp, mix on pedal clean on amp etc. All different variations for tones, but in general it’s just a double mix!

5682141A-215A-4819-AAAD-0289E9F334D9.thumb.jpeg.6ff92e64f128cdcbb6df866ce6e41cf1.jpegDD031E50-2CF8-4D26-B5F8-4D68E7FD1465.thumb.jpeg.cd531c23a9b4e9c74a5012e341b4bb68.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...