Why become a member? ×

Calling '87 Warwick Streamer Experts

LennyP

Preamp Change:

Looking for some advice on a preamp replacement for a 1987 Streamer - Wenge neck-through, Cherry body wings, one piece bridge.

I bought this many years ago with the original EMG pups and EMG (I think) block type 2 band preamp. A good few years ago I replaced the pups with MECs and preferred the sound. Gigged it like this through a back line but never through FOH. The preamp was always noisy and had a tremendous amount of hiss. Always kept the treble off and the bass at centre indent and vol about half. However, I now want to gig it again and  need to send a full vol signal direct to the desk. Tried it this weekend and the the hiss is unworkable so I'm investigating a preamp change.

What have any of you used in the past? What brand works well with MECs or even the EMGs?  I like a warm sound, hence the MEC change years ago. EMGs were a bit too clinical. Although if there is a particular preamp that sounds good with either,  I'd be interested.

Music styles are rock, country, trad/folk, some funk and disco styles.  

Interested to hear what you think.

1987 I think would be a MEC preamp? (Right @warwickhunt) black little box with white epoxy filling on one side? 

Beyond that the Warwick pres make up a reasonable bit of the Warwick tone, for better or worse- so be careful with what you replace it with, I tried a load of preamps in my 1991 streamer and generally a good preamp designed for a fender bass wouldn’t be so good on the streamer. For example the obp1 that’s been recommended above is a really great preamp - but ime the bass point at 40hz will be too low for the streamer and through a PA just add rumble and it’s the 80-100hz that’s better to boost. 

The good news is that if you are able to grab a quick recording of the bass you can put it through a multiband eq and play around to get a rough idea of what different EQs will sound like. I just used GarageBand! I ended up with an ACG preamp which I a different kettle of fish

Whatever you’re after though, the best solution is probably made by John East... 

3 hours ago, ebenezer said:

Are the mec pickups passive?....if so, you could always try an aguilar obp1.....simple boost only bass and treble....the circuit could be used with active pickups but you may need to change the value of the volume pot!

No, MECs are active. I wanted a direct replacement.

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

1987 I think would be a MEC preamp? (Right @warwickhunt) black little box with white epoxy filling on one side? 

Beyond that the Warwick pres make up a reasonable bit of the Warwick tone, for better or worse- so be careful with what you replace it with, I tried a load of preamps in my 1991 streamer and generally a good preamp designed for a fender bass wouldn’t be so good on the streamer. For example the obp1 that’s been recommended above is a really great preamp - but ime the bass point at 40hz will be too low for the streamer and through a PA just add rumble and it’s the 80-100hz that’s better to boost. 

The good news is that if you are able to grab a quick recording of the bass you can put it through a multiband eq and play around to get a rough idea of what different EQs will sound like. I just used GarageBand! I ended up with an ACG preamp which I a different kettle of fish

Whatever you’re after though, the best solution is probably made by John East... 

Actually, I think you are right, it is an early MEC. Black with white fill. You make a good point though, as I like the tone of the bass at the moment. Quite happy with a 2 band too so I don't  absolutely need to move into mid territory as long as the bass and treble are pitched at the right frequencies.  I'll check out the John East options. Very impressed by those in a jazz.

Why not putting in what makes the Warwick sound, their MEC preamp ?

This is the one you need https://shop.warwick.de/en/Parts+for+Instruments/Parts+for+Basses/Electronics/MEC+Active+BEC+2+Electronics+for+active+Pickups+-+_Vol+PP+_+Bal+_+T+_+B_

Otherwise, a Glockenklang 2 bands would be fine, very transparent.

The Mike Pope Flex Core is certainly the best onboard preamp, the most transparent and the most expensive too...

47 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

This is the one you need https://shop.warwick.de/en/Parts+for+Instruments/Parts+for+Basses/Electronics/MEC+Active+BEC+2+Electronics+for+active+Pickups+-+_Vol+PP+_+Bal+_+T+_+B_

The Mike Pope Flex Core is certainly the best onboard preamp, the most transparent and the most expensive too...

The glockenklang two band was the most unsuitable one I tried. Wouldn’t hesitate using it in a fender style bass but the eq points were far too low and high on a streamer to be that usable IME. YMMV

Thanks all for the responses. Really good stuff to consider.

23 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

All great pointers above but before you launch into a new pre... if you have the block MEC with the trim pot (ringed in blue), have you tried turning that down?  

The one I have has no trim pot. Just the white epoxy. Otherwise looks identical. Wondering now if the pre is either gone faulty or if it is not a match to the later MECs.  My first step will be to put back in the EMGs to test it.

2 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

The glockenklang two band was the most unsuitable one I tried. Wouldn’t hesitate using it in a fender style bass but the eq points were far too low and high on a streamer to be that usable IME. YMMV

This is what I had read elsewhere too.

2 hours ago, Hellzero said:

This is a logical step too. It's actually not that expensive at 144 euro and should be a suitable match.  What put me off initially is that I saw a YouTube demo between that and the Aguilar OBP3 on a Streamer Stage 2 and the Aggie was miles better to my ears. 

14 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

MEC & EMG pups are 'very' similar, there shouldn't be an issue pairing either sets with a fully working MEC pre.  

However, if refitting the EMGs solves the issue I'd also be checking the MEC pups aren't at fault (cover all possible outcomes).  :)  

Very true. Will check all those. Thanks for the input!